Marks deducted for using advanced method (2 Viewers)

ibrian

HSC
It really depends on the teacher. I go to a coaching college which assumes that maths is easy - so we get taught a lot of advanced methods.

At my school, we have two MX1 classes, my class being the more advanced one. Hence my teacher allows us to use any method, whereas the other teacher often has a problem with it (I've been marked down because of it - e.g. using implicit differentiation, sign of y' instead of second derivative when sketching).

However in the HSC, I think any method is suffice.
LOL so true. im in nathans classssss and the other teacher of the other mx1 class really has a grudge against my workings + solutions. marked me down in induction because my algebra didnt fit his lines of working, even though you still get the same solution. i guess its just because of the teacher you have... if i were u, i would just follow "their" methods just to make them happy in the mean time, but when you sit the HSC just use any method you're comfortable with.

zaefr

HSC
teacher's just being damn pedantic about a subject which has so many methods. just kill the next assessment mate and then rub it in her face (thats if u actually kill it tho :))

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I used quotient rule in 2U Half yearly and the 2U kids hadn't learnt it yet and I still got given full marks. You have a strange teacher.

Dumbledore

HSC
I used quotient rule in 2U Half yearly and the 2U kids hadn't learnt it yet and I still got given full marks. You have a strange teacher.
Ruse offers 2u?!?!
and the 2u students hadn't learnt quotient rule by half yearlies?!?!?!

EDIT:didn't realise this was year 11

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
That's a 4U method, and should be allowable in a 3U exam.

Like how I used integration by parts in an inverse trig exam, and the teacher marking it laughed (and got full marks too).
Some schools (including mine) actually teach implicit differentiation in 3U XD

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Some schools (including mine) actually teach implicit differentiation in 3U XD
One of our teachers teach it (IMO he's one of the best in the state), the others don't and instruct students to do it the long way.

Also, you can use the 3 variable product rule.

ie. If y=uvw, then y'=u'vw+uv'w+uvw' ... Apparently it's a 4U result, but I've never had to use it yet. Hmm

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ruse offers 2u?!?!
and the 2u students hadn't learnt quotient rule by half yearlies?!?!?!

EDIT:didn't realise this was year 11
Yes...believe it or not, Ruse do offer 2U Maths. There are even kids there that don't even do Maths.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Just like every other school....duh. Ruse isn't just a school of maths lovers you know...

My school had only one 2 unit Maths class, one General Maths class and the rest were extension maths.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
lol, my school has 1 general class, 2 2U classes, technically 4 Ext 1 classes, and 1 Ext 2 class.

It doesn't mean that much because one of the extention 1 classes have 4 people (The one I'm in), another has 6 people and the rest have around 15 (one of them is also a Year 11 accelerated class, so yeah).

It's all to do with timetabling :)

chuboy

HSC
I used modular arithmetic in a mathematical induction question and saved about 10 lines of work XD

Got full marks too, if it's maths, you're allowed to use it, according to my teacher =)

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
Using definite integrals to do motion makes more sense than doing it with indefinate integrals.
Just say he thought about it, and derived that method in the exam ._.

The teacher is an idiot, the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)