math1001: differential calculus (1 Viewer)

Carlito

HSC
is it just me or.... holy crap this stuff is confusing...

and apparently we have an assignment in this due 31st of march

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
are u doing the first week stuff?

it's quite easy the first week stuff.

Carlito

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
are u doing the first week stuff?

it's quite easy the first week stuff.
yeah that was ok (i wouldnt say easy), but im going over the 3rd and 4th lecture notes and lookiing at tute 2 questions and im like ???

Euler

I am not sure what has been done in lectures so far, but it was just mainly complex numbers in the tutorial for week 2, and also for week 3.

No-one likes to fail, and it is best avoided. Just keep up with each tutorial's work, and do the proper tutorial in each week. If you don't understand something for the tutorial, the tutor should be more than happy to explain it. If it is concerning material from previous weeks, then maybe it is better to see the tutor outside the classroom or see the lecturer during consultation hours:
http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/UG/JM/MATH1001/

Understanding material as the weeks go on will give the lectures more value.

Don't think that turning up for a tutorial is enough work; you need to do your own study in your private time to really be on top of things. The prep questions should also be done before the tutorial.

That being said, if there are any problems, try post it on here. Maybe some of the problems can be resolved through here...

Collin

HSC
N/A
I've sorta skipped 3 of 4 lectures so far. :/ It's only on complex numbers.. until they start on new differential concepts, I'll probably just continue to slag off.

Euler

don't mean to offend or pick on anyone, but you really should make the effort to go to the lectures. I admit that I didn't go to all my lectures, but in hindsight, I think I should have...

Reason? The lecturers I know actually put some effort and thought into what they teach, even if they have done it dozens of times before. You might say, "they get paid to do it". Fair enough, but you should appreciate that it is a difficult thing to stand at the front of the lecture room and teach a bunch of people. They make an effort, so should the students.

"I already know the material, it's all in the lecture notes"? That's not a valid reason to not turn up to lectures. You may already know the stuff, so it's revision to you. Good! There are sometimes little things that are put up, which you don't already know, among the things you do. The lecture notes are usually not complete and things are added to it. They really should only be taken as a guide to the lectures themselves - not replace the lectures.

"Attendance records are not kept in lectuers, No-one knows that I'm not there"? You do.

OK

\end rant.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yes, they do make the effort, but that is irrelevant to the fundamental reason why we go to university, that is to learn.

I find my productivity can often increase via truancy, than actually attending the lecture. Hence when I skip lectures, it is for personal academic benefits, not for ethical reasons.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Carlito
is it just me or.... holy crap this stuff is confusing...

and apparently we have an assignment in this due 31st of march
yeah, they basically covered all of 4u maths complex numbers in less that 2 weeks!! :D

Carlito

HSC
ok well assignment one says people should work together and help each other.... so who wants to help me :p rofl

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Insane, utterly insane.
yeah...tell me abt. its getting harder and harder to stay up to date, i've fallen behind already and i can't wait until mid semester break!! :eek:

Originally posted by Carlito
ok well assignment one says people should work together and help each other.... so who wants to help me :p rofl
i know ei?? oh well there's prolly too much snobs in usyd these days...

Euler

Keep in mind that you are to submit your own work.

Don't just blatantly copy someone else's work and then hand it in. Markers don't like that, and will be reported if it is obvious that that has happened. Then both people will be penalised.

Please also use pen, rather than pencil when writing solutions. Pencil for diagrams are acceptable.

Write clearly, neatly and legibly. It is really frustrating for a marker to try and decipher what has been written down. There are hundreds of other assignments to mark as well. There is sometimes marks allocated for being neat as well.

Use an A4 manilla folder for assignments. None of the plastic crap, nor those plastic sleeves. Please staple in the top left hand corner. No paper clips or any other clips. It makes carrying the assignments a lot easier.

The assignments are not worth all that much, so it is vital that you learn something from doing them. You have not much to gain from simply copying something you don't understand. But by all means help each other understand.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
That's pretty helpful

If we're handing in like 6 pages, and we've stapled it, is there any point in getting a manilla folder?

Collin

HSC
N/A
I don't see the necessity of the manila folders. I don't have any either, and I can't be bothered to buy any, so screw that.

Euler

Manilla folders keep things together, and ensures that the assignment is kept separated from one another.

If the staple were to come lose (which almost never happens), then at least the folder will keep it together. After putting your assignment in the boxes, they are then taken out again, carted up to be sorted, put into piles for markers to go to mark. Where the assignment gets marked depends on the marker. A week later they are returned to the sorter who puts them out for collection. Dealing with lots of manilla folders is generally more easier than lots of stapled pages.

It is in the guidelines on how to present your assignments.

You could just buy one manilla folder and re-use it for other assignments. They don't cost too much at the Wentworth store.

Winston

HSC
lol just curious Euler, do you work at USYD or something ? :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
I swear he must be a lecturer or something.. same with CM_Tutor.. :lol:

Euler

Originally posted by Winston
lol just curious Euler, do you work at USYD or something ? :p
I'm a postgrad there.
ex-sefton, class '98. :D

Marking assignments really fries your brain. Getting things that are hard to read, hard to access and hard to put back (plastic sleeves) can get on your nerves. When marking assignments, it doesn't take much to get annoyed.

The co-ordinator for first year stuff can be really mean (Britton). You want to avoid all confrontations with her. Trust me.

Also with plastic covered folders; the assignments are usually stacked, and the plastic ones make the stack unstable.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Haha

It is always funny when you have people out near the assignment drop boxes fishing for answers with 30 minutes to go. It is even funnier when they continue doing that with their second year units, although by that stage they do attempt the questions (however half-arsed those attempts may be).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)