MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Re: Multivariable Calculus

My notes were really ambiguous. They just recited the chain rule except replaced all the u's and v's with r's and theta's and I have no idea how to manipulate it.

I attempted the matrix inverse as an exercise for myself in the meantime and I got this:

The last step was using what the answers were trying to tell me to prove. I don't actually know that the last step is true.

But I don't get the logic behind it.

These are my notes. Explanations would be greatly appreciated but because idk if the notes are copyrighted I probably can't keep them up for too long.

(Apparently, according to my lecturer, this has never been examined in first year before either...)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Hm ok yep.

No idea at all how to apply what here.
Basically, partials of r and theta wrt x mean we are thinking of r and theta as functions of x and y, and we are differentiating wrt x holding y constant.

If you don't know about Jacobians, note r as a function of x and y is r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), so (partial)r/(partial)x = x/(sqrt(x^2 + y^2)) = x/r = cos(theta) (sorry for lack of LaTeX, on phone).

For the theta one, tan(theta) = y/x => sec^2 (theta) * (partial)theta/(partial x) = -y/x^2 via chain rule and differentiation wrt x.

Hence since cos^2 (theta) = (x/r)^2, we have by rearrangement

(partial)theta/(partial)x = (-y/x^2)*cos^2 (theta) = - y/r^2 = -(sin(theta))/r, as y = r.sin(theta).

Edit: I see you do know Jacobians it seems. You basically use the 'Inverse Function Theorem' to get derivatives of the inverse map by inverting the Jacobian of the 'forward' map, as seanieg89 was saying.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

The logic behind it is that if f and g are inverse to each other, then the chain rule says that

so the differentials of functions inverse to each other are matrices inverse to each other.

seanieg89

HSC

This is exactly how you would prove the "easy" part of the inverse function theorem. Once you have established the differentiability of the inverse map, the differential of your inverse map is forced to be the inverse of the differential of your original map.

leehuan

HSC

Ohh right. Yep thanks.

But I'll admit to another thing. I embarrassingly forgot entirely about what r and theta actually equalled to. So IG's method went right over my head............and was also why I didn't comprehend what Para said

leehuan

HSC

So like, this question felt never ending and I aborted.

Part b) is just the chain rule:

Is there any shortcut to save me from computing several product and quotient rules in this one

leehuan

HSC

This is the hardest question of the semester's homework.. lol

seanieg89

HSC

1. Approaching along the line x=0 gives you a limit of zero, and approaching along the line y=x gives you a limit of 1/2, so you cannot extend f continuously to the full plane.

2. Just literally partially differentiate by first principles, you get zero for both of the limits (the limits defining the partial derivatives at the origin, which is the only potentially problematic point). The difference quotients are identically zero.

Moral of the story:

Saying that all partials of a multivariable function exist at a point is much weaker than saying a function is differentiable at that point. In fact as this example shows, it is even weaker than continuity! It makes sense when you think about it, being "nice" in the coordinate directions does not say anything about how potentially badly behaved you might be in the infinitude of other directions.

Here is a followup question for you:

Suppose f:R^2 -> R has directional derivatives in every direction at the origin. Ie f(tx,ty) is a differentiable function in the single variable t, for any fixed point (x,y) in the plane.

1. Is f necessarily continuous?

2. Is f necessarily differentiable?

Where differentiability at (0,0) is the statement that there exists a linear map f'(0,0) from R^2 to R with

f(x,y)=f(0,0)+f'(0,0)(x,y)+E(x,y)

where E(x,y)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) -> 0 as (x,y)-> 0.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

I need guidance (except for part a) please

I need it seriously broken down because the fact that a is a vector scares me

I always forget when to apply the total differential approximation and how to apply it. Any tips with respect to this question?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I need guidance (except for part a) please

I need it seriously broken down because the fact that a is a vector scares me

I always forget when to apply the total differential approximation and how to apply it. Any tips with respect to this question?

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

I'm so shit at this topic.

Edit: Why is LaTeX broken on this site again?

Ok basically the main question is

They had d/dv g(v+2t) = g'(v+2t)

So why was it safe to integrate with respect to t to get 1/2 g(v+2t) again? I'm missing something elementary

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Edit: Why is LaTeX broken on this site again?

Ok basically the main question is

They had d/dv g(v+2t) = g'(v+2t)

So why was it safe to integrate with respect to t to get 1/2 g(v+2t) again? I'm missing something elementary
They're integrating the derivative of a function, so they used FTC. (The 1/2 coming out due to reverse chain rule basically.)

Note that (∂/∂v)(g(v+2t)) = g'(v+2t), where g' just means the derivative of the function g.

E.g. if g(y) was cos(y), we'd have ∂/∂v (g(v+2t)) = ∂/∂v (cos(v+2t)) = -sin(v+2t) (i.e. g' evaluated at v+2t, which is what g'(v+2t) means).

Then integrating -sin(v+2t), we'd get back to (1/2)cos(v+2t).

leehuan

HSC

They're integrating the derivative of a function, so they used FTC. (The 1/2 coming out due to reverse chain rule basically.)

Note that (∂/∂v)(g(v+2t)) = g'(v+2t), where g' just means the derivative of the function g.

E.g. if g(y) was cos(y), we'd have ∂/∂v (g(v+2t)) = ∂/∂v (cos(v+2t)) = -sin(v+2t) (i.e. g' evaluated at v+2t, which is what g'(v+2t) means).

Then integrating -sin(v+2t), we'd get back to (1/2)cos(v+2t).
Oops thanks.

It makes sense with an example; I think I just got scared of too many variables here

seanieg89

HSC

In the integrand we are applying g (a function of a single variable) to the expression v+2t.

Partially differentiating g(v+2t) with respect to v and partially differentiating with respect to t just differ by a factor of 2, as computed using the chain rule. (Write h(v,t)=v+2t as a function from R^2 to R and carefully apply the chain rule to the composition (g o h) if you are still confused after this post.)

So to summarise, Leibniz lets us differentiate the integral w.r.t. v by differentiating the integrand w.r.t. v. The new integrand can be replaced by the t-partial derivative of g(v+2t) up to the constant factor of 2 which we account for by division. Then we are just integrating the t-derivative of something w.r.t t which the FTC takes care of.

seanieg89

HSC

Another exercise without much required knowledge.

Suppose we have a smooth function .

Suppose further, that given any starting point , we can find a smooth curve with and .

(Intuitively, the vector field X is the infinitesimal generator of the curve c.)

Under some simple assumptions, the function that maps a pair to where c is the curve starting at x, is a smooth function with smooth inverse for any fixed t.

So we can consider how sets in R^n "flow". Of course, in general this will distort volume and other geometric quantities.

One way of quantifying volume distortion locally about a point p is as follows:

where |S| denotes the volume of a subset S in R^n, or equivalently, the integral of the constant function 1 over this set, which we assume is a well defined Riemann integral for the sets involved in this question and B(p,r) denotes the ball about p of radius r.

(So E_X measures the limiting rate of change of volumes of small balls about p relative to the size of these balls.)

1. Compute an expression for E_X(p) in terms of the components of X and it's derivatives.

Followups to come if anyone answers this question.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

So like, this question felt never ending and I aborted.

Part b) is just the chain rule:

Is there any shortcut to save me from computing several product and quotient rules in this one

Aha thanks InteGrand, I gave this question much more thought today and finally got the proof out (one and a half months late :p )

leehuan

HSC

Three months later and I still don't know how to use total differential approximation. Correct answer = 0.21% (possibly approximated)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Three months later and I still don't know how to use total differential approximation. Correct answer = 0.21% (possibly approximated)

Just find the equation of the tangent hyper-plane at the point ½absinC and plug in the given values...

Here, the tangent hyperplane is given by:

leehuan

HSC

Just find the equation of the tangent hyper-plane at the point ½absinC and plug in the given values...

Here, the tangent hyperplane is given by:

I'm asking for a friend. Can we just break it back down to appropriate use of the formula thanks.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I'm asking for a friend. Can we just break it back down to appropriate use of the formula thanks.
it's the higher dimensional analogue of construction of a tangent at a point. fairly intuitive to understand if you ask me, and also I have no knowledge of what constitutes "appropriate use"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)