MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calculus (1 Viewer)

QuantumRoulette

HSC
Re: Several Variable Calculus

Consider the two metrics and
(you may assume they are metrics).
i) Show that d and δ are not equivalent.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Consider the two metrics and
(you may assume they are metrics).
i) Show that d and δ are not equivalent.
I assume d(x,y) is supposed to be ||x-y|| and the set is some normed vector space V with norm ||.|| (e.g. R^d). (Please specify more if this is not the intended setting.)

Then these two metrics are not (strongly) equivalent because V is bounded with the delta metric but unbounded with the d metric.

That V is bounded with the delta metric follows immediately from the definition of delta, which must always lie in [0,1). On the other hand d(tx,0)=|t|d(x,0) can be made arbitrarily large for nonzero x.

Note that these two metrics ARE topologically equivalent though, in the sense that convergence in one metric implies convergence in the other. This follows from from the map x->x/(1+x) being a homeomorphism from [0,inf) to [0,1).

seanieg89

HSC

Appears so counterintuitive though. I can't visualise what's going on here
Might not be easy to visualise the graph of the function on all of R^2, but you should certainly be able to visualise what it looks like on the slices x=const. or y=const which is all that matters for seeing/proving the nonexistence of the iterated limit. It is an oscillatory expression that oscillates faster as you approach axes. One of the two summands becomes irrelevant as you get close to the axes, so the other one dominates. This thing behaves like (const).sin(1/x), which of course does not converge unless that const is zero.

The boundedness of sine makes it clear that f(x,y) tends to zero as (x,y) tends to zero though.

Long story short: don't be too hasty to form intuitions in analysis, lots of things can behave weirdly...you kind of have to slowly build up a list of things that ARE true (via proof!) rather than assuming innocuous statements are true and ruling these things out as you come across pathological counterexamples.

And when you are looking at functions like this, try to isolate the terms that actually matter for the property you are trying to prove. A large part of analysis is just approximating ugly things by nice things, throwing away small sets on which a function behaves badly, etc etc.

leehuan

HSC

|sin(x)/x-1|=|x|^2 ?

Surely you mean something like:

|sin(x)/x-1| = O(|x|^2).
There was a typo; it was meant to be a less than or equals to. I think InteGrand just ignored or figured I had typo'd and just used the correct inequality.

As in, for every ball around 0 there's always an irrational number in it, therefore 0 is not an interior point so it cannot be open. (I hope I did not screw this up.)

I wanted to use the floor/ceiling functions but then I realised that'd be problematic if r = 0.1, so what might be a good choice for a rational number that is in every ball B(sqrt2, r)?

(Sorry, I think I worded my question horribly)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

There was a typo; it was meant to be a less than or equals to. I think InteGrand just ignored or figured I had typo'd and just used the correct inequality.

As in, for every ball around 0 there's always an irrational number in it, therefore 0 is not an interior point so it cannot be open. (I hope I did not screw this up.)

I wanted to use the floor/ceiling functions but then I realised that'd be problematic if r = 0.1, so what might be a good choice for a rational number that is in every ball B(sqrt2, r)?

(Sorry, I think I worded my question horribly)
Some rational points arbitrarily close to sqrt(2) are points where we truncate the decimal expansion of sqrt(2) arbitrarily far. I.e.

for positive integers n.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Some rational points arbitrarily close to sqrt(2) are points where we truncate the decimal expansion of sqrt(2) arbitrarily far. I.e.

for positive integers n.
That is one beautiful trick.

I definitely don't want to use the Lagrange multiplier theorem to find the closest point (x,y) to work off, so any pointers on what radius I should choose my ball to be? (to prove an arbitrary point (x,y) is interior)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

That is one beautiful trick.

I definitely don't want to use the Lagrange multiplier theorem to find the closest point (x,y) to work off, so any pointers on what radius I should choose my ball to be? (to prove an arbitrary point (x,y) is interior)
That set Omega is an open ball already (using the Euclidean metric), and an open ball is an open set (you should prove this as an exercise if you haven't before).

MATH2111

HSC

Mate, stop cheating on these assignment questions. Do it yourself ffs.

leehuan

HSC

Mate, stop cheating on these assignment questions. Do it yourself ffs.
...?

These are homework questions I'm stuck on. I'd be too worried about getting a 0 mark for the course if these were assignment questions.

leehuan

HSC

That set Omega is an open ball already (using the Euclidean metric), and an open ball is an open set (you should prove this as an exercise if you haven't before).
Wait, I can't see it - Can't tell how a region cut off by the rectangular hyperbola is a ball

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Wait, I can't see it - Can't tell how a region cut off by the rectangular hyperbola is a ball
Sorry misread it (saw + instead of -).

One way is to recall that the preimage of an open set under a continuous map is open.

leehuan

HSC

Just a brief sketch-out please

I know that f is not continuous at 0 but I'm not sure if that helps since we're talking about partial derivatives here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)