• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics (1 Viewer)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Mmmm maths 2u doesn't seem as if it's "real" maths...(I like to make up my own definitions :)) I prefer the problem solving type maths, which actually involves your logics and deep thinking, not like some maths where you simply use a memorised formula where many people don't know how or where it derived from.
Ohh, i'm not talking about g-unit maths by the way (it's got a lot of those problem solving questions involving finance/annuities etc, I hate them).

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Deep thinking and logics is blergh. Slapping in some random formula is yay :eek:

I think 2u has things on finance too, in Series and Sequences, bleh.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
OMG... So much maths... I wonder how many people do 4 unit then... Seems like a lot just counting the ones who posted...

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I do maths and I do 4 Unit for that matter.

All I have to say is that 4 Unit is fun. Yes, fun! I don't even mind that I have to give up my lunch times and afternoons.

Well for now it's fun, I'm sure I won't find it fun after I suffer from a nervous breakdown because of some circle geometry question cause I can't do circle geometery properly in 3U so no chance in 4U.

P

pLuvia

4u circle geometry isn't that much harder, it's just more than just prove this and this is a parallelogram etc. Each of the questions are there for a reason and they serve a purpose for the next question. There are some theorems that may come up randomly like the line joining the midpoints is parallel to the third line etc etc.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
The only maths I find to be necessary in normal every day life is consumer arithmetic... Unless you're doing engineering and that maths related stuff, I probably won't be using any of this geometry etc.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Re: No Mathematics?

*sigh* The things we dislike are the ones that are of importance... Just like chocolate (bad for us) and veggies (good for us - well, it depends on the ways it's cooked!)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
webby234 said:
Since when did our school offer 4U at lunch and afternoons? I had to do it in the mornings :(
This year, all the 4 Unit classes are in the afternoons plus one lunch time class because we didn't get to start 4U until week three so we have to make up the time on Friday lunch times.

They wanted to put 4U on-line when 2U was but because of 4 unaccelerated people (one of them being me :) ), they couldn't. A lotta people were pissed off at that one. :)

webby234 said:
But yeah - I agree it is fun, we enjoyed our 4U study days and did weird and wonderful things with volumes and properties of conics- yes we're nerds :p

But yeah - I couldn't do circle geometry at all until I started doing 4U circle geometry. By the end I still couldn't do 4U circles (although I think I got 2/4 in the exam) but I could do 3U circles. With 4U, 3U seems like a breeze. Unless they throw a really long annoying test at you.
I guess 4U is funnest math course of them all. :)

How do you think you went in the exams? :)

pLuvia said:
4u circle geometry isn't that much harder, it's just more than just prove this and this is a parallelogram etc. Each of the questions are there for a reason and they serve a purpose for the next question. There are some theorems that may come up randomly like the line joining the midpoints is parallel to the third line etc etc.
That makes me feel better that it's not that much harder. :)

Except, I can't do the 3U circles properly. :(

I can remember all the theorems off by heart but I can for the love of ford, see them in a question.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)