Motorcycle Talk Thread (1 Viewer)

xsjado

HSC
Anyone here have their riders license?
what bike(s) do you have and where do you like to ride?

I've got a Suzuki DR 250r and the only good ride I know is the Old pacific Highway which is crap now since it's packed with cops.

boris

Banned
HSC
Probably get a real bike before making postings. Get a ktm 125sx and do some mad shit on it

xsjado

HSC
boris said:
Probably get a real bike before making postings. Get a ktm 125sx and do some mad shit on it
k awesome.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I've got my unrestricted licence. I've owned all sorts of bikes, 1981 GS650 katana :headbang:, SZR660 supermono, TTR600 with proper supermotard conversion, GS400/4, XBR500, and whole bunch of other 250's and shiz. I've stopped riding since the TTR got stolen and bankrupted me. I've ridden mates CBR600, ZXR750 etc... but that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me.

I like older bikes mostly.

I've started dirt riding, I'd like to get into a road-trail, but it's too exxy for what you get with anything registered.
DR250s look like good value for a first dirty :santa:

This summer I was thinking of getting any old roady and building a sweet little cafe racer like this: YouTube - cafe racer suzuki gn250, except with a less fucked up exhaust fitted.

boris

Banned
HSC
TTR250 that i dont ride. Ride my mates bikes, KTM450 and 125sx, cr125s kx250s. Want to get a 125sx or RM125 soon. Cant be fucked with a 250, too much effort and expense.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
TTR isn't much different from a dr is it? Both air cooled, gutless, 2-valve, singles? Not that there's anything wrong with proven technology.

walkahz

HSC
No road riding for me.:angry:
I have a mad jr80:headbang: (long live the 2 banger) that i cant steer cause my knees hit the bars.
I wouldnt mind getting a yz125 or 125sx but ive got no where to ride.
For the road id like an nsr150.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Don't get an nsr150, they're absolute trash. Honda issued a warning to owners not to ride them above 100km/h for any extended period. Built in Thailand. Worst Honda ever made. I've heard Honda Australia were deeply ashamed.

F2001

HSC
xsjado said:
Anyone here have their riders license?
what bike(s) do you have and where do you like to ride?

I've got a Suzuki DR 250r and the only good ride I know is the Old pacific Highway which is crap now since it's packed with cops.
hmm, last time i went there, it was only 4 of us doing giant speeds, hogging the whole road with the occasional traffic and bicycle riders.

I want to get an older kawa 250r or find a good deal on the new ninja

boris

Banned
HSC
Graney said:
TTR isn't much different from a dr is it? Both air cooled, gutless, 2-valve, singles? Not that there's anything wrong with proven technology.
yeah basically the same, ttr is a bit more dirt orientated than the dr though.

Waiting to get a ktm 125sx or rm125, cant be bothered with big 4 strokes and shit anymore

xsjado

HSC
Anyone know what the fastest learner legal bike is?

cbr250rr?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
One of the learner legal 500s or 600s probably is, overall. CBRs have jack all torque.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
xsjado said:
Anyone know what the fastest learner legal bike is?

cbr250rr?
How long is a piece of string?

Most CBR's are too old and worn out.

On paper racing, the larger learner legal bikes should kill the CBR. Power figures are similar, but a 600cc single typically has over twice the torque of the screamer 250 4-strokes.

I've ridden em' all, and my pick would be one of the learner legal 600 trallies, TTR600, DR650, XR650 etc... Strongly recommended is the SZR660, look that one up. I owned one and it was a piece of pure, uncompromising, italian race-bred exotica.

I reckon an RG250 (the fastest of the learner legal strokers) would beat a CBR. An RZ250 can easily be fitted with a 350 kit (many examples on the secondhand market already are), and then you have 60+ hp in a lightweight frame. You'll be struggling to keep the front down.

RVF/VFR400's come highly recommended. 400cc V4's with mad torque. RVF and VFR are two different models. Fundamentally the same, there's about a 2hp difference between them which means one is learner legal and one is not. The learner legal ones are often advertised for $8000. For a twenty year old bike. Good bike if you win lotto.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Graney, lots of the traillies are banned though (even some 250cc ones), its defined by a maximum power to weight ratio of 150 kW/tonne. (sure you know this though, just for the other guy).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Riet said:
Graney, lots of the traillies are banned though (even some 250cc ones), its defined by a maximum power to weight ratio of 150 kW/tonne. (sure you know this though, just for the other guy).
Absolutely,
When considering any bike, consult this list
Approved motorcycles for novice riders

All the really insane 250cc 2-stroke superbikes are banned for learners.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Riet said:
Graney, lots of the traillies are banned though (even some 250cc ones)
On that subject, I've heard the list is sometimes a bit dubious in that regard.

The RTA, in deciding what bikes to make learner legal, relies on the manufacturers supplied hp and weight figures. The RTA never dyno tests them. Some of the bikes on the list have been "fudged", the manufacturers supplied horsepower figures being shifted a bit.

There are also plenty of bikes on the list that are basically unrideable with the power-to-weight figures supplied, due to all the choking emissions gear mandated for some of the trailies. Once you've made them work as the manufacturer actually intended, with a pipe and rejetting at least, powers jumped 15+ hp and you suddenly have a fire breathing monster of a thing.

Can't remember the exact models, a few KTM's and other euro trailies were notorious as dodgy "learner legal" bikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)