Music while you study. (1 Viewer)

fliick

HSC
N/A
I changed my tastes every day. But I found the best stuff is the stuff you can zone out that doesn't have a repetative melody.
Liiiike Coheed and Cambria, Metallica, dream theatre, placebo, tool and joe satriani (for more rock oriented)
And Ludovico einaudi, yanni, yiruma, yann tiersen, vivaldi, other classicals/contemporary instrumentals. Mainly piano.
Used to listen to Cradle, cradle of filth, children of bodom etc. No melody, great for studying but frightened the younger siblings :/

Last edited:

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
dunno havent tired listening to music while studying. I ve noticed i get alot more work done in the library where it is more quieter, so i think no music works for me.

Nyxie

HSC
If the music has lyrics I'll end up singing, it is pretty much inevitable :D I like studying to instrumentals though, but yeah, I generally zone it out.

I can completely block out any outside noise, but if it's music--- I will sing, and hence become distracted...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I really like listening to ambiance and soft non vocal trance while studying, helps get me in the mood to do lots of writing.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I never listen to music while working. I listen to a lot of metal (mainly speed/melodeath) while running or playing dota. When I listen to most songs on my ipod I can visualize my self running in beat, or particular parts of my running course.

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
i'll only listen when i'm doing maths work, other then that nah.

dan2452

HSC
I listen to rage against the machine, rise against, etc. But when you're studying pre-test, do it without music.

HSC
I can never multi-task and listen to music while doing work. I need it to be very silent so i can concentrate. The music would distract me easily.

Tofuu

HSC
i only do it when there is barely any reading involved (math pretty much) and if its easy, so its a big no no for 4u

kyokaku92

HSC
For me, classical music especially Chopin and Liszt is a must when I do homework or study. I cannot sit down and study without some music in the background. However, I tend to avoid symphonies (includes symmphonic poems) and Russian music (except stravinsky) because they are heavy in tone and can be distracting due to loud high melodies that excites the listener (esp in 1st, 3rd and 4th movts)

I usually go for light Mozart sonatas, Chopin Nocturnes, Liszt Anees de Piligrimage, Dvorak, Saint-saens, stravinsky, debussy, ravel, paganini, satie etc.etc :pirate:

orthentix

HSC
Ofcourse; the killers, pete murray, muse, buble, postal service, death cab, coldplay, matchbox 20. Mainly easy listening music to keep me content.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Yes I agree to above, I love studying to Chopin nocturnes and Beethoven sonatas. They're much better for concentration.

No symphonies/concertos.

Can't listen to any music whilst studying english, it's ok for bio/chem, an absolute NECESSITY for art... and when I did maths I could listen.

I don't like music with vocals though, for study. x.x

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
lol is that a fact? and is 80BPM fast? Like, would it just be that crap stuff they play in clubs?
80 BPM is a low-average heart rate of a human. The trance/techno/etc that they play in nightclubs is easily twice that (160-180 BPM).

HSC
the music that goes best with study is your favourite song in which you know all the lyrics to...

autumn-bird

HSC
So reading these stickies about studying, apparently you shouldn't listen to music while studying, and if you do, light piano music?

I don't know about you, but I find it nigh on impossible to study WITHOUT music blasting in my ears.

What about the rest of you guys?

PS: What type of music do you listen to while studying? Shuffle, specific bands, w/e? I mainly listen to rock/metal, ie. Rammstein, Disturbed, etc.
Apparently it's quite beneficial to study with some classical music in the background. The tempo/rhythm of the music helps your brain go into the "alpha" state, making it easier to understand info.

Well... according to my dad anyway. :)

I like listening to the radio too, but I find it really distracting... I start thinking about the lyrics and singing along, haha. But radio's good for when I do viscomm work. ;)

css

HSC
bluejuice, vitriol
especially if im stressed.

otherwise, holst, jupiter bringer of jollity

and grizzly bear.

wrecking

derp.
HSC
gotta listen to music while studying, or i get tired and can't concentrate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)