MY SCHOOL RUINED MY TRIALS (Cheating) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
well then the school could choose not to buy that exam if it got in a way of an important event... and buy it off another company or make their own then couldn't they???

You're thinking about it the wrong way.

cannonrun

HSC
Matt, our english department isnt going to buy any more exams... isnt that what you wanted? And as for our other departments they rarely dont modify the exams significantly. Not to mention the companies have policies about removing papers from exam rooms - your not allowed to. This policy is effective in preventing cheating in every subject except english pretty much. In no other test would you be able to effectively remember every question.

And the board of studies CANT make laws about how trials are conducted. It has absolutely nothing to do with them. They would have as much influence as a group of parents ringing the department of education... Which btw would have little effect as well on state wide policy. This incident has changed our local school policy as many incidents have done to other schools around the state. This needs to be done on a school by school basis because different conditions suit different school and different teachers. You've achieved your aim in our school. Other schools adapt to suit problems that occur with them.

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
THIS ARGUEMENT IS FUCKING FUTILE, FUCK YOU ALL

for fucks sake, i fucking give up, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

fuck you people shit me.

Jason just think about it for once, fuck, you're more insolent that I am.

CoFFee BreAk

HSC
Aww crud... Now that everything has happened, what more can we do? We're not the authorities, despite our reactions in all these cases!

Neways, VQ is indeed my schoolmate!! Sorry, Vic, never actually noticed you on the board ;)

macoboi

HSC
so cannonrun are u just supporting the resit because u needed more time to study? cos ur arguements sounded alot like the others who messed up on paper 1 and could have used that extra time.
call me out of touch or wateva, but i also never saw paper 1, didnt hear about any breach until 8.55am thursday morning, and was left there for 30 min with nothng better to do than to clean under my nails with the edge of the desk.
i'm really happy with how i went in the first paper- not cheating. is this gonna be fair if i get a worse mark on the resit for any reason.
I realise that this is unavoidable now- and i thank god that im not a student at bathurst- but this is still f%#$&d.
but im sick and tired of arguing over this. wats done is done........
like i said- i just pray that it doesnt happen to any1 else.

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
macoboi said:
i just pray that it doesnt happen to any1 else.

Well, the QUITE EASILY ACHIEVABLE methods that I have suggested have been taken as an impossibility. *ROLLS EYES* Not to mention purposely misinterpreted and 'read into' for the purposes of arguement.

krystalp

HSC
i dont see why someone would help someone else get a better mark then them...but maybe im selfish.

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
No one is trying to argue with you just for the sake of argument
Jason ALWAYS does this.

Once again, I'm going to say, they are thinking about it much differently to me.

Helper wasn't even in the same damn ballpark.

You're all a bunch of liberal hippies, why dont you go save some whales.

cannonrun

HSC
Matt, the fact that most people in this forum think that what your suggesting is completely impossible and impracticable, suggests that you are the one that is arguing for arguments sake.

I consider other peoples views if they are rational... but you refuse to even contemplate the reasons offered by Without Wings, Helper and others in this forum.

JimMorrison said:
Helper wasn't even in the same damn ballpark.
What she said seemed right on the mark to me, but if it wasnt, maybe thats because your not making your argument clearly enough to be understood, perhaps because you dont understand what your trying to say yourself! :)

JimMorrison said:
You're all a bunch of liberal hippies, why dont you go save some whales.
LOL when you cant win em, this is what YOU ALWAYS do Matt. Has this really contributed to your argument?

I'm off to save some whales! Ciao

cannonrun

HSC
macoboi said:
so cannonrun are u just supporting the resit because u needed more time to study? ... ...and was left there for 30 min with nothng better to do than to clean under my nails with the edge of the desk.
Ah Mitch, just read your post, I am supporting the resit because it's UNFAIR that people gained an unfair advantage in Paper One. Would you rather let people cheat and get a better ranking solely because of cheating?

Plus, no offence but you only do what... 6 units this year? You dont have another exam on Tuesday and the resat English one will be your last for the trial period, three days ahead of most people! Your time constraints are alot less than most other peoples.

I think you lot have blown this completely out of proportion.

We're resitting ONE 2 hour exam. Thats all... to ensure cheaters did not get an advantage. What is the problem? It's such a minor thing!

helper

HSC
N/A
JimMorrison said:
well then the school could choose not to buy that exam if it got in a way of an important event... and buy it off another company or make their own then couldn't they???

You're thinking about it the wrong way.
I am open to your proposal of a timetable. I would like to know a few ideas about it.

1. Who is going to make the timetable?
If its not the Board of Studies, are you advocating handing over students study patterns to private companies, so timetabling clashes can be avoided?

2. Who is going to decide on when the trials are going to start?

3. What do you plan to do about HSC exams that are on at different schools languages from 15/8 - 16/9, Dance from 8/8/-20/8, Drama 22/8 - 2/9, Music 5-16.

4. Your fallback is having the school making the exam. How are you going to overcome the bias toward the teacher's interpetration and inexperience in marking or writing HSC questions?

chops

HSC
wat dog

Can i please just make the point that the whole situation is unfair for everyone and there is not one person in year 12 at our school that is not effected. Amistake has been made on the part of the administrators of the trials, be it on the local school level, the independent company whom sold the school the trials level, or a matter regarding department of education protocol inconsistencies.
What deeply angers me is that i cannot conclusively answer the question how did this happen in the first place? teachers offer no explanation and whilst questioning our principal she at one point replied " I have been told what i can say by my superior and i can't say anymore."
It is my understanding that two schools in the same town can sit the exact same tests on different days and to me that is ridiculous. The department have protocols regarding the conduct of such standardised externally bought papers. Obviously these protocols don't hold up. What we need is tighter regulation of the implementation and distribution of externally bought trial examinations. The Onus should fall upon the company whom sold the test, in collaboration with the school buying.
The flippant attitude i have recieved in my attempt to make heads or tails of this situation is very annoying and disturbing. Clearly there is a problem with the conduct of trial examinations and if you disagree you must be ignorant to the cases at our school and other schools across NSW.
The department of education needs to stop trying to cover up the problem and hope it will go away. IT WONT.
fix it

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
Watch out that they don't start flaming you because apparently it is impossible to control. *rolls eyes*

Without Wings said:
You already said that you deleted your posts due to personal attacks on you. well what happened to do unto others as you would like done to you?!?
From what I've heard, at least he didnt bring race and religion into it.

Last edited:

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
The problem is that regardless of whether the students from Griffith High were allowed to take the exam out fo the examination room, they STILL COULD HAVE TOLD US THE QUESTIONS.

chops

HSC
and if they hadnt of taken it out? whats to stop a friend of mine telling me in words? does that constitute an unfair advantage to a similar extent?

war_ali

HSC
that was initally my confusion... they stress the problem is that the exam was physically removed - but me being told the answers by a mate ISNT unfair.... a little silly ey, but what can be done? *rolling eye smiley*

JimMorrison

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
You mean, unlike you with your wog-boy comment? or are you referring to something else Matt?
I'm not talking about my actions... I'm talking about what Jason said to Zohab.

chops

HSC
without wings:
the difference is that you are certain if you missed the exam that the one they sat and the one you will sit are identical.
us as students have the expectation that a test griffith high sits on a different day to us is a different test and one who inquires into the questions has done nothing wrong, they probably are doing something right by getting a feel for the types of questions that will be asked. NO ONE has cheated as no one new, in fact everyone expected that the tests would be different. are we expected to not ask about other schools trials?

helper

HSC
N/A
chops said:
and if they hadnt of taken it out? whats to stop a friend of mine telling me in words?
Nothing, but in most case students are told not to discuss papers

Does that constitute an unfair advantage to a similar extent?
Yes and it is why teachers normally change part of the paper, so as this can be detected. This could be argued based on the publicity of other cases, you have discussed papers in order to gain an advantage. In most cases, this would result in an adjustment of your mark, rather than a zero like in the case of plagerism.

It is also a larger problem in some subjects than others. When there are a few essay questions it is easier to pass on verbally, than subjects with a large number of questions like the sciences.

Unlike some schools which use past HSC papers, which are in the public domain. Which no adjustments are made for the student who is lucky enough to have studied that paper.

Any internal assessment system is not going to be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)