Naturally smart (1 Viewer)

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
sique... to ur question in buy/sell thread
hus pigs?
hes the dude hu posted b4 ur reply on this thread...

i rekon every's good at different things... eg. some ppl just kick ass in one subject but gets whooped ass in another... its got to do with how someone's brain develps... eg... if u look at the ppl who got 99+ last yr... i bet u any money most of them suk at eng n the only reason they got 99 is cos their 4u maths phys chem etc etc... pulls their marks up... n these so called high scaling subjects are really nothing more than a reflection of how hard n how long u study... so wot kind of ppl is naturally smart? i havent met one yet... u could say eistein's naturally smart, darwin's naturally smart, but any of us... i dont think so...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hmmm~~.... i wouldn't say they suck at english - well at least from what i've seen =P
and einstein wasn't smart - he was a bloody genius.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
einstein was a high school dropout i think? neway, he published all his major theories before 25 didn't he? i think thats something beyond genius :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
He wasn't a dropout, he just hated it. He was a "failure" in university though, and he did publish all his groundbreaking work early in his career. Of course, he sucked at maths when he first started and had to get a tute to help him!

Saul

*ss
HSC
i can imagine einstein in school though... everyone else is doing calculus, and he's trying to figure out the fundamental laws of the universe...

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
i think there could only be two explanations to why some don't study and still get good grades:

* they fluke fluke fluke and fluke - prolly fluke their life, but there'll be downfall someday... otherwise u don't belong in this world

* whatever subjects they cane in come naturally to them, such that they just absorb the stuff needed to know by talking to others, and in class - even if they seemingly are not paying attention.

Mmm, i'm a bludger and no matter how i bludge i don't fail... i guess it's coz i chose the subjects that come more naturally to me. i think a term more appropriate than "natural smartness" is prolly intuition. eg. i like jap and maths, they just come to me, i don't need to pressure myself to do it. And when it comes to english, what a pain in the ass, but i gotta do the work, rather, force myself to do the work, yet i probably won't even get half the output if i spent the same time on things i like.

As for genius... againnnnn, everyone define it different, i reckon genius is just someone very absorbed in the area that comes naturally to them (what u'd say is talent) BUT that's not all, they actually bothering spending the time to further explore their talents. For a genius, willingness to explore is prolly important =p

you could be naturally smart and not a genius =p

Einstein was a dumbass as a kid... but he found the stuff that comes naturally to him and worked for it, THEN, ppl called him a genius.

There is no such thing as born genius in the world. =p

So I guess to everyone who consider themselves "naturally smart", you probably should do something about it, otherwise, some day, this "natural smartness" of yours would go away. *cough* i'll make a note of this to myself.

Ah which reminds me, there was a chinese folk tale about a guy who was 7 or something and his literary skill was as good as grown up elites. Then his father took him around showing him off to the world, so instead of exploring his talents further, he spend his days partying at various places. And after years of living as such, he became older and dumber - he lost the skill he shone with as a youth =p

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS.....

go read more chinese folktales mwahahaha... :p

Last edited:

Jaded Member
HSC
lol.. maths and jap come naturally 2u? =P u lucky bum. (thank goodness i dropped out when i could....)

mercury

HSC
yeah, but i've just been demoralised greatly... go to the japanese thread, you'll see a jap dude criticising our japanese... ARGHHHHH, it's not real Japanese, but I want to talk like a native =(

mercury

HSC
and history, something i like too, except not the stuff they are teaching at school... =p these 3 are about the only three things i like/liked as school subjects... the 3 things i've consistently done well in since yr 7... hmm, it's really true that you'd be able to pick out ur best gsc subjects js looking at your yr 7 results.

mercury

HSC
oh, and sique, just reading back, upon the mentioning of the nine-letter word.... i can't believe you actually bothered to witness that!! then again, i think i know who u talking about, they're nuts la. VERY scary, hey but it's fun, i remember a bunch of us spending our entire free just doing the crossword page....mwahaha, oh and my english period too. Hey! Let's do that sometimes after the exams... let's have another picnic

Jaded Member
HSC
haha... they're scary hey~!!!! you can't look at them and say that naturally smart ppl dont exist...
meanwhile dear, i reckon i'm one of the flukey ppl =P..
lol... yes we need another picnic.

mercury

HSC
alrighttttt, i take that back =p since i haven't met every single person on this planet. Are you the flukey one.... hmm *scratches head*, now who is the girl who writes up books and books of notes for all her subjects. hmmm.... *looks at self* shock realisation that I have no notes... *head hangs down shamefully*

And we are not going to bicentennial again this time (altho it was nice), hmm, let's go to japan =p

jk jk... figure out after liberation i guess...

Jaded Member
HSC
geez wat's wrong wit bicentennial?!?!
heehehee... went to school intranet n downloaded notes... *how i admire yr12-2002 and their typing skills...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I can't be bothered reading this anymore. Still, it's better than non school. SO, imagine I've read your posts, and left five paragraphs of wit as my reply.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i wouldn't say a genius is someone who just develops what they're good at, millions of people do that. I'd say its more someone who is able to completely understand what they're good at, which is something very very few people can do. For example, at my school (north sydney boys) we have people who are fucking good at math, like realli realli good. They are not genius's (genii?) Anyway, in last years year 12 we had a guy who did his 4 unit math test when he was 10, and got like 95%. Now that IS genius, cause he didn't require people to explain everything to him, cause he was able to just completely comprehend everything. (jus a pity he was shit at english)

mercury

HSC
well, of course they'll have to begin off being able to grasp the subject very easily, like those ppl who spend no time studying and still do well :D but a lotta ppl just stop there... me saying ppl who are termed "genius" don't js stop at that stage. i've heard of ppl known as "genius", they weren't born one =p

mercury

HSC
Then again, there are ppl like terry tao, and they are just way too exceptional to be described in words.

goodmornin

sorry ppls
i beleive there is no such thing as "naturally smart"

i believe the 'tabula rasa' theory...
everyone born with clean slate.
then... if you become smart will depend mostly on your environment.... eg.. parental influence no matter how big or small.

why is it that poorer areas have poorer academic results

answer = environmental influeces

sure there may be some genetic factors such as a 'healthy working normal brain' - but what builds it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)