NO accommodation (1 Viewer)

moc2009

HSC
N/A
They did this last year to everyone... I got shoved into Toad Hall... a total dump and bore; I left after 6 weeks and got my own apartment in Canberra city centre.

This year I thought I’d apply for Uni-Lodge multi bedroom share ones (Friends there), and got an offer yesterday for a Studio at $380 a week.... told them to forget it, my Apartment in the city is only a little bit more and I get my own place, pool, gym etc... Why would I pay a rip off price to Uni Lodge?

Thankfully, just signed a 3 year lease with my landlord so won’t have to worry about accom again.

ANU Accommodation service is the worst part of ANU, they do this every year to students and never learn. They don’t care where they shove you; first years are left out and because of the guarantee will get shoved into a hotel.

The fact that they offered me, a 2nd year, a place in Uni Lodge yesterday, even though I already have an apartment in Canberra shows that they do not put 1st years 1st.

On the up side, because I rejected my accom offer, there should now be a studio available at Uni Lodge for $380 a week... if anyone wants it? Lol

It’s ridiculous.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting.

spazamataz

HSC
I got this email from them even though I did not receive an offer from ANU (third pref).
I got the same one, then an apology one saying my application had been unsuccessful!
Major admin errors must be happening

aussie-boy

HSC
Seems like the youth allowance changes have really put people off from the idea of a gap year

Shaybay92

HSC
I'm not even eligible for youth allowance despite the fact I will be living out of home and my parents will hardly be supporting me at all!! This is ridiculous.

John555

HSC
On the up side, because I rejected my accom offer, there should now be a studio available at Uni Lodge for $380 a week... if anyone wants it? Lol

It’s ridiculous.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting.
Lol $380 to live at UniLodge? Even living in an apartment 20 minutes away from the Melbourne CBD with a pool, tennis courts and gym costs about the same! Talk about a TOTAL RIP OFF.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
That's for a double studio, aimed more at couples.
Even if it’s designed for a couple, it’s still a tiny box at a rip off price and it wasn't on my list of preferences.

Last edited:

bobohappy

HSC
hey there,

i emailed the uni and i got this reply:

Hi,

As we have had an Enormous amount of applications received this year, your application is still under consideration, you will be offered a place of accommodation as you are a guaranteed student, however as stated when applying for accommodation it may not be any of your preferred choices. You may hear about accommodation either today, tomorrow, or at the very latest everything should be finalised by this Thursday. I understand it’s a stressful time and we are doing our best to complete the accommodation process. Please keep checking your status online and your emails, both junk and inbox emails for your letter of offer.

Kind Regards,

Tessa Robinson

clairebear41

HSC
Who else recieved this?

Dear Applicant
I write to update you on accommodation for students coming to ANU to study in 2010.
In 2010, ANU has experienced an unprecedented demand for accommodation. Although the University has increased the number of beds available by 1100 since 2007, this is still not enough.
To meet this current demand the University has sourced additional accommodation off-campus. These external sites will be operated along the same lines as our residences, maintaining a similar standard of amenity, community, regard for security and cost. There will be an ANU Residential Adviser to provide pastoral support and the University will establish a campus program to ensure these residents are welcome, supported and inducted as all residential students are. All students in off-campus accommodation will be affiliated with an existing ANU student residential facility and participate in the programs of that facility. In this way we hope to ensure that all students are well-integrated into the University community.
For those students who accept a place in one of the external sites on offer, priority placement will be offered in student residences for Semester 2 where capacity arises. Certainly for 2011, these students will be allocated places in October for the coming year.
Currently under construction are 119 units as an extension to the new Laurus Wing, Ursula Hall (opening mid year) and 422 beds as Stage 3 of residential accommodation in the ANU Exchange (opening Feb 2011). So it is unfortunate we have this temporary shortage.
While we regret not being able to accommodate all students on campus from the beginning of first semester, we anticipate that this situation is temporary and that most , if not all, students will be able to be accommodated on or near campus in semester two.
As a guaranteed undergraduate student, further information about your application status will be sent to you by Friday 5th of February.
Yours sincerely

orchiddreams

HSC
Who else recieved this?

Dear Applicant
I write to update you on accommodation for students coming to ANU to study in 2010.
In 2010, ANU has experienced an unprecedented demand for accommodation. Although the University has increased the number of beds available by 1100 since 2007, this is still not enough.
To meet this current demand the University has sourced additional accommodation off-campus. These external sites will be operated along the same lines as our residences, maintaining a similar standard of amenity, community, regard for security and cost. There will be an ANU Residential Adviser to provide pastoral support and the University will establish a campus program to ensure these residents are welcome, supported and inducted as all residential students are. All students in off-campus accommodation will be affiliated with an existing ANU student residential facility and participate in the programs of that facility. In this way we hope to ensure that all students are well-integrated into the University community.
For those students who accept a place in one of the external sites on offer, priority placement will be offered in student residences for Semester 2 where capacity arises. Certainly for 2011, these students will be allocated places in October for the coming year.
Currently under construction are 119 units as an extension to the new Laurus Wing, Ursula Hall (opening mid year) and 422 beds as Stage 3 of residential accommodation in the ANU Exchange (opening Feb 2011). So it is unfortunate we have this temporary shortage.
While we regret not being able to accommodate all students on campus from the beginning of first semester, we anticipate that this situation is temporary and that most , if not all, students will be able to be accommodated on or near campus in semester two.
As a guaranteed undergraduate student, further information about your application status will be sent to you by Friday 5th of February.
Yours sincerely
I did. actually i think those of us who have guaranteed accom all did.

littles123

HSC
I too missed out on on-campus accommodation. Pretty unlucky of us 100 considering the amount of students who DID get rooms :(. I'm moving from Melbourne to Canberra and thats not exactly appealing, it was comforting to think that I (and others I'm sure) would get to live in a university community with lots of people around.

Now we're going to be stuck in the barrenness that is Canberra. :evilfire:

I hope I get put in a hotel like someone suggested may happen :S at least we'll get our own bathrooms then...

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
ANU students today got this email:

Dear ANU student,

The Students' Association has been asked to contact you by the Pro-Vice
Chancellor (Students), Professor Elizabeth Deane.

I am writing to ask for your help to provide accommodation for new ANU
students. We need to know if you have a spare room to rent in your home
or share-house that could be offered to a fellow student.

The University is experiencing unprecedented demand for accommodation.
Even though new accommodation has been built and everything is being
done to find alternate off-campus accommodation around Canberra, we
still cannot meet student demand for housing.

If you have a room to rent in your share house, apartment or home - or
soon may have - please urgently post a free classified advertisement at
ANU - University Accommodation Services - UAS
University Accommodation Services will alert students to this
information.

Please help if you can. Many thanks from the Students' Association and
our new peers.

Best regards,

Tully Fletcher
President
ANU Students' Association

Sounds desperate...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)