Note to IT students selecting a sub-major (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

Dont do Internet Business Technologies.

unless you want to die during AIT (advanced internet technologies) worse subject on earth.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
I was going to do (or still rather am heading towards picking) Internet Business Technology :D Your post makes it seem evil however lol (are there evil lecturers like Bee Bee? *shudders*).

Also, I don't know where I want to go in terms of electives, though I'm probably leaning towards Internet Middleware Programming, Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework, and/or Project (though I don't know what this entails. Anyone able to provide more info than what's in the handbook?).

This is all assuming I'll still be doing IBT however. I wish they'd shed some light on the sub-majors.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well in terms of the IBT sub-major, I can shed some light onto it. It's basically a internet programming sub-major, though most of stuff you learn can be applied to any type of programming. If you don't like programming, then don't do this sub-major (and of course don't do AIT).

Internet Commerce - Is the non-programming subject in this sub-major. It's kinda useless and is just theory and in my opinion, should not be a core subject in the sub-major.

Advanced Internet Technologies - Well as evident by everyones whinging, is probably the hardest subject in this sub-major. It involves programming in J2EE (Java) using JSPs, Servlets, Java Beans, EJBs, and so on, and also being able to use an Oracle database. The 2nd assignment can be quite challenging.

Internet Middleware Programming - I didn't do this subject, but basically its programming in PHP. It's similar to AIT above, except you program a shopping cart type website and auction website in PHP.

Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework - I would highly recommend this subject to anything doing the IBT or App Dev sub-majors. .NET is a big thing out in the industry at the moment and it's a very good programming framework to learn as well. You'll learn about the basic and advanced stuff in the .NET Framework using C#.NET (which is similar to Java). You must have a good programming background to do this subject though, as it goes pretty fast and teaches a lot of concepts, like the basics, web services, windows applications, ASP.NET, and so on.

Mobile Programming - The first half of this subject is exactly the same as AIT. The 2nd half of this subject will teach you programming using the J2ME framework (Java) by developing applications for mobile devices, using Midlets and so on. It's quite an interesting subject and wasn't very hard either.

Human Computer Interaction - I didn't do this subject, but basically it's another theory subject about how people interact with certain user interfaces and so on, and how to make them better, etc.

Project - You choose a project to do and you do it. Don't know much else.

I hope that helps!

mysteek

HSC
Is the Internetworking Sub-major option open for business computing students? In the Major/sub-major guide (on the start.it site) it has it as a sub major, but it isn't displayed on the online handbook.:S

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I believe they have added the Internetworking sub-major to the BBusBComp course as of 2006 (it wasn't available in the past), as long as you do Networking 2 as your IT elective. You can check with them if you want.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Thanks Jasee, that was of great help.

AIT sounds scary :( But I do want to do this sub-major over the others and don't want it to deter me from doing it.

I haven't had past experience with programming (except for Programming Fundamentals which I know isn't anywhere near as tough as Java, or internet based programming like PHP etc.) so I'm a little skeptical. Though I did do quite well in Programming Fundametals given it was my first time. However, as I said I know the intensity is much higher and some concepts much harder. The only thing I am worried about is that I may not grasp the concepts quickly and then lag behind (as I initially did with PF, but in the end I thought it was pretty easy and achieved relatively well).

At the moment Internet Middleware Programming and Enterprise Development are of the most interest to me in terms of electives. I guess I'll have a look into the other majors first to see how they may work out. I would have thought this sub-major had the most relevance to Accounting (as I'm likely to major in it), but it seems to involve a high majority of programming (but I know this duality can prove very handy to some firms/businesses!). My initial thought was it contained more theory than practical (in terms of programming), but I guess I was wrong :p

pizzaman57

Insert Custom Title Here
HSC
Hi,
i was just wondering, if we selected a submajor when we enrolled today, and then subsequently changed our minds (say for example during the course of the first semester - while core subjects are still being carried out) would it be too late to then withdraw from the sub-major and enrol into another sub-major?

Thanks in Advanced...

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
I was wondering that too, pizzaman.

Also, I can just enrol in Autumn (for now) and leave Spring for like another couple of weeks until I've decided what I want to do right? Cause I don't want to enrol in a sub-major yet especially when it says "Note: Once this is saved, it can only be amended by your faculty." when choosing it.

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
i did human computer interaction + internet middleware programming.. and those subjects are fine.. i loved the final exam for human computer interaction.. we went to intencity to play games + assessed it.. internet middleware programming is soo much easier than AIT..

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup, you can change your sub-major provided you haven't started it yet. So yes, you can change it during Autumn or at the start of Spring if you want.

pizzaman57

Insert Custom Title Here
HSC
jasee said:
Yup, you can change your sub-major provided you haven't started it yet. So yes, you can change it during Autumn or at the start of Spring if you want.
thanks heaps Jasee :)

That question (above) was for a friend, but now i (along with alot of my friends who are doing the same sub-major and IT elective) am kinda in a dilemma...any...and i seriousely mean ANY advice/information/comments on this would be GREATLY appreciated (as the emails i have sent to 6 of the staff at UTS who i thought could help have not been replied to, and i'm becoming increasingly worried that my degree will take longer then normal, or that i will be unable to choose the subjects i wish to complete)

Well i've chosen Applications Development as my Sub-Major, and Programming on the internet as my IT elective. However, due to issues of subjects not being available in spring and pre-requisites, we are unable to do it :S ...

Initially i had
AUTUMN 06
26133 Business Information Analysis 6cp
79203 Business Law and Ethics 6cp
31061 Database Principles 6cp
31516 Networking Fundamentals 6cp
SPRING 06
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance
22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions
31748 Programming on the Internet
31092 Information Systems Development Approaches

however this didn't work because Programming on the internet and Info Sys Dev Approaches do not run in Spring...

so we changed it to the following
AUTUMN 06
31748 Programming on the Internet
31092 Information Systems Development Approaches
SPRING 06

however according to the timetabler, this does not work either...

if anyone can come up with a course schedule encompassing the following it would be greatly appreciated...as this is my last source of assistence...
BUSINESS CORES AND ELECTIVES
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance 6cp
22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions 6cp

SUB-MAJOR CORE AND ELECTIVES
31092 Information Systems Development Approaches (Only Available in Autumn)
31927 Application Development with Visual Basic .NET(Pre-req=Database Principles)
31099 Distributed Database Programming and Administration (Pre-req=Database Principles)(Only Available in Autumn)
31100 Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework (Pre-req=Applications Development with VB.Net)

Thanks in Advanced...

Crammer

HSC
N/A
AIT isn't that difficult. If you haven't done DSPP (Data Structures and Procedural Bullshit) what till you get that. It's MUCH MUCH more harder, you also get a lousy lecturer with a terrible marking scheme where you can get 0 for all the assesable components.

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Here's a scary thought. I've just enrolled in AIT in the same semester as Systems Development Project.

Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well you have a number of options. You can do another IT elective if you want. You can do IS Development Approaches in Autumn if you want, or better yet, why don't you do some of the other subjects in Spring instead, like App Dev in VB.NET and Distributed Databases?

You don't HAVE to do your IT elective next year if you don't want too. Most people do it in 2nd year because they need it for their sub-major (like with IBT and Computer Graphics), but with the Applications Development sub-major you already have all the prerequisites, so you leave your IT elective to whenever. I mean you can swap the standard program around to suit your needs, provided you stick to the 2 Business/2 IT subjects per semester.

Hope that helps!

pizzaman57 said:
thanks heaps Jasee :)

That question (above) was for a friend, but now i (along with alot of my friends who are doing the same sub-major and IT elective) am kinda in a dilemma...any...and i seriousely mean ANY advice/information/comments on this would be GREATLY appreciated (as the emails i have sent to 6 of the staff at UTS who i thought could help have not been replied to, and i'm becoming increasingly worried that my degree will take longer then normal, or that i will be unable to choose the subjects i wish to complete)

Well i've chosen Applications Development as my Sub-Major, and Programming on the internet as my IT elective. However, due to issues of subjects not being available in spring and pre-requisites, we are unable to do it :S ...

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
DJGerber said:
Here's a scary thought. I've just enrolled in AIT in the same semester as Systems Development Project.

Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.
I did AIT and SDP together in the same semester as well. Wasn't too bad I suppose?

S

Shuter

jasee said:
I mean you can swap the standard program around to suit your needs, provided you stick to the 2 Business/2 IT subjects per semester
What are you talking about? I took 4 business subjects this semester and no one stopped me.

pizzaman57

Insert Custom Title Here
HSC
Thanks Jasee! :D

Distributed database wasn't available in Spring, but it's kewl now, i got an email back from Wayne Brookes after i posted and he suggested, like you said, to do IS Development approaches, as it would allow me the oppertunity to pull out of the Applications development Sub-Major if i changed my mind, and count IS Development Approaches as an Elective...

So i've ended up with this...its actaully good coz it cuts down Autumn from 4 to 3 days attendence...

Autumn 2006
-----------
26133 Business Information Analysis
79203 Business Law and Ethics
31061 Database Principles
31092 IS Development Approaches

Spring 2006
-----------
31516 Networking Fundamentals
31927 Applications Development with Visual Basic .NET

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)