NSW Speed limiters in cars (1 Viewer)

ForbiddenND

HSC
Wouldnt the easiest way to get around this is to just keep your old car.....

LobbSACS

HSC
they are not going to do this / they cant do it.

to retrofit it to a car would be complex and expensive, not to mention the cost of the device

the NSW govt cant expect the carmakers to build this complex feature into all their cars.... ever wonder why euro cars have the indicator on the left hand side... its because they cbf to swap it over to the other side for RHD market.

considering that VW sold less then 2500 cars in feb 09 (10th place in market), in the whole of australia. do you really think that any car company will make huge changes to their cars when the market for them is around 500 cars a month? (just guessing).

so stop worrying, it wont happen, it pretty much cant happen.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Without the details of the technology being public, we can't say whether it will be expensive or complex. It may be simple and cheap to fit to all cars.

LobbSACS

HSC
Without the details of the technology being public, we can't say whether it will be expensive or complex. It may be simple and cheap to fit to all cars.
pro tip, you cant just "slow" a car down with a magical box.

they are talking about fitting switches to the acclerator pedal, which means they will need to fit a new set of pedals with a solonoid in them to turn the system off.

how will this work with a manual car, what happens if the system was to stall the car.

a gps tracker is cheap, but setting up this system, that is, making a list of the speed limits of every single road in nsw wont be.

another user posted about fuel being wasted and throwen into the exhaust system, increaseing emmissions and costing the driver more money in petrol.

not to mention the fact the govt will do all this, while they remove all speeding ticket revenue.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
With economies of scale, it probably would. It sounds feasible in principle. Never understood why cars are manufactured to go at speeds of 200km/h. Surely 140km/h is enough.
Because It's more complex, expensive and deemed unnecessary. Any car with a decent engine (which is a requirement for any load carrying or family car) can hit 200km/h, and it would be more complex to make a car that can only do 140km/h.

You could lower the final gearing, but this would ruin the fuel economy and make the engine work much harder than necessary.

LobbSACS said:
they are talking about fitting switches to the acclerator pedal, which means they will need to fit a new set of pedals with a solonoid in them to turn the system off.

how will this work with a manual car, what happens if the system was to stall the car.
I looked up the system. Here's the details: Intelligent Speed Adaptation

They're only talking about introducing this on new cars. It doesn't say anything about the pedals. They're not fitting switches to the pedals. Wherever did you get that idea?

The system works, as expected, by reducing fuel to the engine when you exceed a given speed. Which means it's a modification for the efi, and most likely can be done with a simple software modification. Which wouldn't be a huge deal given the amount that has to be done to make cars fit ADR's currently.

LobbSACS said:
a gps tracker is cheap, but setting up this system, that is, making a list of the speed limits of every single road in nsw wont be.
Most GPS systems off the shelf have road speed limits in them. The RTA has the data.

LobbSACS said:
another user posted about fuel being wasted and throwen into the exhaust system, increaseing emmissions and costing the driver more money in petrol.
I posted that.

It was speculative, based on if they chose to cut ignition rather than fuel to limit speed. Given they are cutting fuel, there is no such problem.

LobbSACS

HSC
from smh

"In cases of emergency there is an override system whereby the driver can either flick a switch or floor the accelerator to disable the safety device and put the car back in manual control."

sounds like a solonoid in the acclerator pedal to me, which is what is currently used in most auto cars to activate the kickdown.

still, even if its just a software modifacation and a different solonoid in the acclerator. that is still going to disrupt production lines considerably and increase costs.

i might see holden agreeing to do this, so they can suck up to the govt, but any other car maker, nope, it wont happen. as i said, they wont even change the indicator stalk for RHD market. the global RHD market is huge compared to the market for new cars in NSW....

EDIT: just realised they will have to install some kind of gauge etc into the car to show the driver the system is working/what the current limit is. that will also increase costs at the production line.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
They're not going to do anything to the accelerator pedal. The efi can detect the throttle position.

The modifications sound like they'd be within the ability of the local importers.

LobbSACS

HSC
well clearly they do, the govt is hardly going to say

"this will be a hugley expensive waste of time that will cost the motorist more money" are they.

the nsw govt cant even introduce a T way system or realise that we dont need a tunnel that gets us from darling harbour to the easten suburbs.

i doubt they will be able to introduce a system like this to every new car in nsw.

as i said, what about MT cars? or what happens if the system fails and all round the state people rear end eachother.

pman

Banned
HSC
It'll still cost more money and be an inconvienience, and what stops me turning it off all the time. it need both hands in a emergency so you can't have to hold the switch down and sometimes full throttle would be dangerous, e.g. throw me off a corner. all in all, this system would compramise my safety and lose votes for the political party involved.

Woteva636

HSC
theproblem with speed limiters is they can be more dangerous than not having them

Example
I am driving at 100km/h (the limit for me on my green ps...yes, i do follow all (read most) of the road rules, because i dont want to loose my liecense) and i pull onto the right hand side of the road to pass an L plater who is (incredibally) doing 80, their limit. suddenly a truck pulls out onto the road 300 in front of me and begins to drive in my direction (yes, i live in a rural area). at the moment, as i am most of the way past the L plater i would just put my foot down and my commodore will easily get me past the L plater and back into my lane before the truck gets to us. HOWEVER, if i had a speed limiter, i would have to brake, hope the truck brakes and the L plater doesnt. i possibly loose control and crash, the L plater possibly brakes as well, we both stop and get smashed by the truck, the possibilities for disaster are endless.

another thought i had during my story is what would the speed limiters for the different plates? would an L plater still be able to get up to 100?

I Study Hard

HSC
Alot of cars have manual limiters that you can turn on if you do not wish to go over a certain limit. I think my mums merc is set to 100km/h?
I don't think this is a bad idea but it the worst timing to implement something like this, isn't it?
Its going to cost people who buy new cars more to get the thing installed and it doesn't look cheap >.>;

I Study Hard

HSC
they said on the news tonight that the system will add $1000 to the price of a new car
Ugh, $1000 isn't too bad, but like i said in my other post.
Worst.Timing.Ever.
No one is going to want to spend an extra grand on a car right now.
The government should use their fucking common sense.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
ffs
finally.

now install it on every lebbo P-plater. lol

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
but

everyone

speeds.

i need to be going at least a few km's over to feel like i am not wasting excess time driving somewhere.

Woteva636

HSC
but

everyone

speeds.

i need to be going at least a few km's over to feel like i am not wasting excess time driving somewhere.
you actually dont get much of a time advantage unless youre going at least 15% above the limit, just increase stopping distance and petrol consumption

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Stuff this.

Any more of this crap and I am reverting to 60's cars with carbs and no electronics.

I can also sense these things coming eventually:

- Car that parallel parks for you
- Car that advises you that you drank too much today and not allowed to drive until you sober up
- Remote car tracking so parents can watch where their teen daughter is. (Lookup Toyota Link. Lol)
- Banning of manual transmissions

There is gotta be a line drawn in regards to these inventions.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
you actually dont get much of a time advantage unless youre going at least 15% above the limit, just increase stopping distance and petrol consumption
yeah i know haha.
but i feel like i'm taking less time in my mind.
its just placebo really haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)