People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

crazylilmonkee

HSC
Maths in Focus.. can't say its the best one.. My sister's boyfriend recommended Fitzpatrick, he studied that when he was at Syd Tech and he got 99.4 UAI! Nothing to lose so I use it.. sometimes :p How are you going?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i'm going fine
apparently yeah - that text isn't 2 great

crazylilmonkee

HSC
ah well.. thats why I get maths coaching now.. makes me realise who I'm competing against.. damn!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by timmii

2 - If tutors don't work for you, don't go to one. I was one of (at last count) 4 people in my whole year who did not go to a tutor for anything. I need to figure things out for myself in order to understand, if you're like that as well - recognise it! More than anything its a waste of valuable time.
yeah, true, but keep in mind that tutors can be good..take me, before, i failed every chem assessment we did, then i got a tutor and i have passed everything..and i did the 2001 trial from my skool the other day and i got around 80%..so they can work..

Originally posted by Halba

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.
hey, thats a bit racist..the best 'maths' brains at my school are full on caucasion..

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
depending on the subject, youve got this site. its very helpful with maths/science qs.

JRasnier

the only thing i reckon tutors really do is make u work, out of school hours, instead of alwayz bludging at home, trying to study....tutor is there making u do it, just like as if a teacher is there making u, or ur parents pokin u with a stick....

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by JRasnier
the only thing i reckon tutors really do is make u work, out of school hours, instead of alwayz bludging at home, trying to study....tutor is there making u do it, just like as if a teacher is there making u, or ur parents pokin u with a stick....
Very very true! :D

hk31

HSC
its true in some parts...
but sometimes...tutors can only act as if they really want to help you....or they may be there only for the money...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I bought Excel Study guides and crammed the morning before.... nothing beats studying than knowing the work due to learning it thoroughly in the first place.

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
1. Do not leave things till the last minute ( I do... but I try not to)
2. In the remaining 40 days, set your goals: small ones for every day, don't expect to digest an entire topic (unless you are certain you have the ability) - so a timetable might work for you (mine's in my head)
3. If you have questions, don't ignore them, ask teacher, ring up advice line or post here.
4. Ensure that you spent enough time on your weaknesses so you can patch them up (oh dear... English)
5. Form study groups (they might work... well, they work for some people)
6. LISTEN IN CLASS!!! (especially if you are yet to finish all your topics at school) Sometimes the things get into your head faster if you be attentive in class, than going home and read over it 10 times.
7. Lastly, don't stress, please don't stress, when you are starting to get stresses, everything would start falling apart for you... take things easy, and go according to your plan... go take walkies, talk with friends, do some exercises... just try to be relaxed.

GOOD LUCK!! HOPE YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS!!!

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Just a note on tutors:
As said, only go if it works for you. I'd reccommend a maths tutor, just because you'll end up doing more work, and that's what you need for maths... also, i reckon it helps to have someone reinforce the way you do things, school teachers can be pretty dodgey for maths.

For other subjects, i'd say it depends more on the tutor. For some ppl, i know it doesn't help, and if all the tutor does is give you more work, then i'd say ur wasting your time and $ in most cases. But i had a really good science tutor at one stage, who took me ahead of the class and really drummed the principles into my head.. made me think a lot for myself, too.

And just another tip: sit at the front of class. I know that in most classes, the back few rows talk heaps, and it can sometimes be reaally hard to hear what the teacher's saying if u sit near the back... And listening in class reduces study time at home.

Leanne

HSC
i'm really scared ppl!
I've been reading all of these posts by really smart ppl who all did so well last year.......but i've only really started studying this week for the HSC....its just i dont want to burn out....but i still want to get a lot of study done without STRESS!!!

any tips?

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
LOL, I know exactly what you mean...

I think 2-3 hour study intervals followed by 20-30 min breaks should do?

-=AETOS=-

I got 94 in Earth & environment lol basically if u put some sum effort into this subject u can get 90;s easy. Study techniques included summerising the Excel book and doing as many exam style questions as i could fine (even though there was hardly any)! Knowledge of chemistry and / or biology concepts in more detail can help u develop a more sophisticated answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)