People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

Budhima

Well Im currently in year 11 and I find that studying Maths early in the morning helps heaps, an its the time when most of the knowledge actually sets in, and gets imprinted. Most of my friends don't like the idea of wakin up early, but hey... it works for me

Budhima

Originally posted by Halba
Sure study is necessary

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.
Im totally with you Halba, Im Sri Lankan, and ive got so much more of a better maths/science brain than I do an English brain. I think its built up in our Gene pool...
Anyway, I rekon the best way to study for maths is just practice practice practise. If anyone's thinking of doing three unit maths, I reccomend the book of Sample examination papers by S.K. Patel, (It's a small Excel book). The questions have been made purpposesly hard so that it gives you more practise. With English, how I studied for the prelim exams was by printing of otherpeoples essays, such as proffessional Othello critical analysis etvc. etc. Always try and find different viepoints.

Physics: Just practised papers, papers and more papers

Chemistry: I didn't just read the text book, but I went on the net and checked up some extra info. It really helps as it increases your confidence level. Also by knowing more it really boosts your confidence, and by the end, even thoguh we didn't finish the sylabbus, most of the concepts became common knowledge.

Biology: Read science articles and memorise key terms. Biologyis relatively easy if you know the content. What I mean is that they cannot twist many Q's

Peace

Rahul

Dead Member
there are exception to the case tho....

there are indians/sri lankans/asians out there that are really good at englishy subjetcs and not so good at maths.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul

there are indians/sri lankans/asians out there that are really good at englishy subjetcs and not so good at maths.
hmm...this is similiar to smart blondes- u hear about them but u never see one.:p

Amyr

Hey guys... I think I've decided to make up some tapes to listen to as part of my study, but I'm not sure what to put on them. Do you record your whole summary, or just certain points? I'm not sure how to do it ~ help anyone?

aMy...

Huy

HSC
N/A

Like me!!!

I got a Band 3 for Maths, go me... LOL
I think I got a Band E2 for Extension 1 hahaha!

But I got a Band 5 for English Advanced, almost made it into the Band 6 range :(

a band E3 for Extension 1 English (39 Assessment)
and a Band E3 for Extension 2 English (42 Assessment)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Amyr
Hey guys... I think I've decided to make up some tapes to listen to as part of my study, but I'm not sure what to put on them. Do you record your whole summary, or just certain points? I'm not sure how to do it ~ help anyone?

aMy...

well personally, i put all my english essay that i wanna memorise on the cassette player, and i play it over and over again...to such an extent that it doesn't come out of my head.:)

pri

HSC
N/A

hehehe and there are some who are crap at english and maths!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hey, thats a bit racist..the best 'maths' brains at my school are full on caucasion..
it's not racist it is generally true that most asians tend to be good at maths ... well that's the case with most selective skools newai

not saying that they r the "better" race or nething... it all comes down to study .. not ur nationality blah blah....

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
it's not racist it is generally true that most asians tend to be good at maths ... well that's the case with most selective skools newai

not saying that they r the "better" race or nething... it all comes down to study .. not ur nationality blah blah....
yeah, its also got to do with culture and the food they eat.:D

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
the more rice u eat the better in maths u get :D

[WILL_wang]

yehh..coz when asian count the number of rice we r puttin in our mouth..and then we multiply it by the weight of the bowl, and then log that.......n everynyte..when we finish we write down the formula to that dinner...if it is larger than 0.24334 we had a big dinner...

hehehe

juggernaut

HSC
what did you guys do each night after school or on the weekends (not during trials time or stuvac etc)

did yous go over what you did in the day, do a little summary, etc??

or did yous just start studying hard for trials and stuvac

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by juggernaut
what did you guys do each night after school or on the weekends (not during trials time or stuvac etc)

did yous go over what you did in the day, do a little summary, etc??

or did yous just start studying hard for trials and stuvac
i think the most important thing to do at these times is to understand whats happening, and also keep up with homework and keep up with the class.

Chookus

HSC
mmm..

See i am still trying to comprend that i have finished school i dont think it has sunk in yet....once it that has suck in and that the HSC is in 10 days i think i will be motivated but i think it will be too late..

well my study habits are not great i know but whatever i do whether it i tape it, write notes or type notes sit there and re read them nothing works and visual learning does not work either so i guess it a practice essays situation so i learn the stuff and at the same time practice essays... but i just cant sit there for more than 10mins and do that i want to get up and do something else so anytips on how not to get distracted and keep motivated would be great :)

hbk_ace

your all F**k Liars
i didnt hardly study, but i am just getting 90 in eco and legal, i guess i just listen in class and get the stuff

porka

Yeah I did French continuers and French lextension last year and pretty much what I thought was the key for 2 unit was just the use of basic idioms in French. The markers seem to lap up those little catch phrases so if you can incorporate a few into each piece you write you should be right.

For French extension you basically have to know the movie, no way of getting around it. It's not enough to simply know what happens either you have to know the contextual background as well as the significance of certain locations and who appears in the scenes. As this is a film study you really need to highlight the use of film techniques. All I did to prepare for this was study the extracts while watching the movie. There really isn't all that much else you can do.

Anyway that's just what I think and what worked for me...

arls

to get 90 in a subject you've either gotta work your arse off, or be naturallly talented- hate to say the obvious but its true!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Eek , ive already started studying... im only like into my 2nd week of year 12

But i figured better start now , i did crap all study in Year 11 :(

Agent Z

HSC
to each his own...u cant tell someone else how to study....every person has to have there own plan so they can stick to it themselves.....and it has to be realistic.....i remember in the younger years my plan was like

7:00 - 12:00 - study
12:00-12:30 - lunch
12:30 - 6:00 - Study
6:00 - 7:00 - Dinner
7:00 - 10:00 - Study

well you see that was really stupid..coz i never did ANY of it, it was tooo optamistic.....you really just have to make sure YOU can do it.....and i usually reward my eslf with something after I have finshed every period of study such as going on hte net for lyk 30 mins....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)