Period Pain Medication-GIRLS ONLY (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Any kind of physical activity - yes, ANY - will help with period pain due to the endorphins released (ie the pain-numbing drug produced in our bodies). It's just a bit of a bummer that when you *do* have period pain, the idea of going out and exercising isn't really the first thing that jumps to mind.

HSC
I don't take medication, but hot baths do help, as well as exercise, heat pads (those wheat filled ones) and hot water bottles.

Another thing I do is try and stay busy. This takes my mind away from the pain. :)

Skeeta

HSC
oh god naprogesic i love the fella who invented that shit

i go through boxes of that stuff - i hope taking tomuch of it doesnt have any side effects

in fact - i think if i ever gave birth.. it would be to a little blue tablet with naprogesic written on it

HSC
Skeeta said:
oh god naprogesic i love the fella who invented that shit

i go through boxes of that stuff - i hope taking tomuch of it doesnt have any side effects

in fact - i think if i ever gave birth.. it would be to a little blue tablet with naprogesic written on it
Hahaha, thats kinda sad! But from all of these comments in this thread, I'm guessing that this "naprogesic" stuff is good. I might try it some day...

wizard146

HSC
Naprogesic actually doesn't help me that much- Nurofen sometimes works for me. Usually I can handle the pain, and I only get it for a couple of days, but a few times a year I end up actually being sick from the pain. I hate those months! I find the pain is worse if I exercise.

philly17

It also makes u depressed, as well as being more likely to become infertile and develop breast and cervic cancer. So I'm seriuos when I say really be warned about the pill

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Philomena_86 said:
It also makes u depressed, as well as being more likely to become infertile and develop breast and cervic cancer. So I'm seriuos when I say really be warned about the pill
If you are getting side effects, then it most probably means the pill isn't right for you, and you need to change. I didn't put ANY weight on when I went on it and I wasn't depressed for a second. lol So it differs from girl to girl.

I use to get terrible cramping. I'd have to stay home from school at least 3 days in the month. Then I found out i had cysts in my ovaries, so you should probably get checked out if they're really bad. The pill REALLY helps. Now i only get one day of pain and it isn't bad at all.

BEfore I started going on the pill, I had to take Nurofen Plus just to stop the pain. Taking excessive amounts of nurofen is bad for you as i discovered lol Naprogesic is probably the best coz it's a muscle relaxer. Also try alternating between Naprogesic and Nurofen.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
grk_styl said:
I didn't put ANY weight on when I went on it
there are different types of "the pill". One type, however, does generally cause weight gain -- its the one they use to treat a type of acne.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
withoutaface said:
It makes you fat.
i didn't put on any weight when i went on the pill. i'll admit that it DID make me somewhat more emotional, but that was just the way my pill reacted with my body. like that other girl said, if you're getting negative side effects then you should change yr pill.

and i don't get ANY pain anymore (i used to vomit, be in pain, etc), and i can skip periods when i don't want them. perfect.

Lainee

HSC
Try using Ponstan if all else fails, because it's a very strong medicine that works very quickly. I try not to use it too often, but when I get really bad cramps every so often - ones that I can't just grit my teeth and fight against - I go for good ol' Ponstan.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I use naprogesic and a hot shower.

My pain tends to vary between periods--one month I will have excruciating pain that really makes you want to die and the next month I will only have a dull ache that I can usually deal with without taking anything.

In the bad months it usually becomes a matter of desperation and I end up taking like 6 naprogesics at once. Can't be so good for me but Im usually at a point where I will do anything to stop it.

And just for a little bit of education, naprogesic isn't a muscle relaxant per se, it inhibits prostaglandins which cause your uterus to cramp in the first place. It also contains aspirins which is why many people (including myself) experience nose bleeds around that time of the month (as most of us will know aspirin thins the blood).

Buscopan is often injected in hospitals to relieve severe bouts of period pain.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
queenie said:
there are different types of "the pill". One type, however, does generally cause weight gain -- its the one they use to treat a type of acne.
Actually, most weight gain that has previously been attributed to the Pill can be written off as most girls start taking it around the time they leave school, which is also the time they decrease physical activity and increase food intake. Many people believe the weight gain has little to do with the Pill itself.

And as for it being carcinogenic, everything goes through stages, theres probably people out there willing to tell us that drinking water and breathing air is bad for us if they thought they'd make a dollar out of it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The pill has been known to be a potential carcinogen for many years now. It has recently been reclassified as a known carcinogen by the World Health Organisation.

Anything that plays with your hormones like that poses a cancer risk.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Ms 12 said:
The pill has been known to be a potential carcinogen for many years now. It has recently been reclassified as a known carcinogen by the World Health Organisation.

Anything that plays with your hormones like that poses a cancer risk.
Next they're going to tell us that Fake Tans give you cancer too. lol

Anything artificial is probably damaging to some extent, like you said, but sometimes it creates more good than harm. If there's the chance that the pill will stop you falling pregnant, or stop you from getting period pain, then I'm all for it. i'm a big supporter of the pill.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
This is not directed to anyone in particular but because the pill is so convenient a lot of people have trouble understanding that, like with taking anything long term, it's not problem free.

Edit: I should add that in certain cases people have a good reason not to care, see below, but my post is that overall, people like to turn a blind eye to it more than they would if it was another medicine (for example, I have seen the bashing roaccutane gets on this forum and everywhere else)

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
When you're reproductive system has been through as much as mine has, the good that comes from it now far outweighs the tiny potential risk it may cause some time down the track.

Kirika

HSC
no, it does make you fat. most of the girls at my skool started taking it in year 11, wen they began to actually participate in pe, sport and all took SLR. plus they played more weekend sport. and they put on heaps of weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)