Physics Or Biology? (1 Viewer)

pandaaMONIA

HSC
Right now, I'm a toss up Between Physics and Biology.
Now, Physics apparently goes with Chemistry a lot better, but Biology has a little bit more interest towards the degree I'm going for (Medicine, Medical Science etc).
Plus, our Physics teacher hasn't taught the HSC for four years, and she's quite incompetent at keeping our class from being quiet, let alone actually teaching us anything.
Also, she has chosen the elective Astrophysics, which I really have a disliking for space. I can take some of it, but having to do that as an elective would probably kill me in some sense :p.

Also, would I be allowed to change to Biology three days into year eleven? the classes are on the same line and all that, so I'm not sure if there would be any problems.

Do any of you have a preference to which course is the most interesting?

Thanks heaps.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Should be fine.

Go with bio... much more interesting, more depth, less BS'ing

and you'll do some biology in first year med or medsci, so it helps to have some background (it's not essential though)

pandaaMONIA

HSC
Should be fine.

Go with bio... much more interesting, more depth, less BS'ing

and you'll do some biology in first year med or medsci, so it helps to have some background (it's not essential though)
roflmao :p.
Yeah, so far Physics is just really boring; we've done conversions and started waves.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
I'd choose Biology, during my time for when I was studying for the HSC, I found ways I could link up my chem with bio e.g. in bio you have to study the advantages of haemoglobin, this could link to the stuff on buffers you have to learn in chem, so choose Biology, so you can kill two birds with one stone

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Which one do you want to do? Tbh i'd say go with Bio since you dislike the Phys stuff, which means you wont do as well and Bio is a nice choice for your field.

LiveUrLife93

HSC
i switched from bio to physics n i wanna do the same sort of thing as u, but yeh it depends on what u prefer...ur gna b the one sitting through the classes but yeh most of the work ul be doing in your own time.

sounds to me like uve already chosen bio lol

Fly Kite

HSC
chose all 3 science, hating phys, i guess bio is the best

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It sounds like you would enjoy the Biology course much more...

P.S. I just got a new teacher for Physics. We know nothing about him, apart from that he taught a "Sydney" school for three years. His name is Mr. Hand .... hehe, yes, Hand. So about your incompetent teacher for Physics; she may suck at keeping the class quiet but I'm sure she is a lot nicer than the prick I've got!

I'd say go for Biology.

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
I studied Biology and it was awesome! One of my friends did Physics but and loved it...

I think they both have their good points... go with whichever one is going to be of more benefit for your degree :)

LiveUrLife93

HSC
It sounds like you would enjoy the Biology course much more...

P.S. I just got a new teacher for Physics. We know nothing about him, apart from that he taught a "Sydney" school for three years. His name is Mr. Hand .... hehe, yes, Hand. So about your incompetent teacher for Physics; she may suck at keeping the class quiet but I'm sure she is a lot nicer than the prick I've got!

I'd say go for Biology.
lol yeh i think ive got a new teacher for physics too ms someone or other man i reli hope shes not some random just outta uni lol the other physics teachers rnt amazin but i know their style of teachin even if one looks like voldermort haha

Megson

HSC
Just throwing in my two cents.
Having done the HSC course twice for each of these subjects (long story short I got really sick thus had to repeat) chemistry crosses over far more with biology than physics.
I also wanted to do medicine (got into UNSW but have deferred) and biology to me was much more interesting than physics plus I got the better mark in it (96 compared to 89).
Overall I think the concepts are easier in biology but you can make it as indepth as you like to keep it interesting. It also gives you the time to refine your exam technique if its easily understood. Also even 3 weeks into year 11 wouldn't be too late to change, but the earlier the better. Almost all of the stuff taught in the first topic (A Local Ecosystem) was not used in HSC if I remember correctly, just the general concepts which are easily understood.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Just throwing in my two cents.
Having done the HSC course twice for each of these subjects (long story short I got really sick thus had to repeat) chemistry crosses over far more with biology than physics.
I also wanted to do medicine (got into UNSW but have deferred) and biology to me was much more interesting than physics plus I got the better mark in it (96 compared to 89).
Overall I think the concepts are easier in biology but you can make it as indepth as you like to keep it interesting. It also gives you the time to refine your exam technique if its easily understood. Also even 3 weeks into year 11 wouldn't be too late to change, but the earlier the better. Almost all of the stuff taught in the first topic (A Local Ecosystem) was not used in HSC if I remember correctly, just the general concepts which are easily understood.
How hard is the Biology Exam? My teachers told me that compared to Physics and Chemistry it's pretty hard. No one in my school ever got a Band 6 in Biology.

To the OP: Physics scales better but Biology is easier to understand. Pick whatever you feel okay with.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Right now, I'm a toss up Between Physics and Biology.
Now, Physics apparently goes with Chemistry a lot better, but Biology has a little bit more interest towards the degree I'm going for (Medicine, Medical Science etc).
Plus, our Physics teacher hasn't taught the HSC for four years, and she's quite incompetent at keeping our class from being quiet, let alone actually teaching us anything.
Also, she has chosen the elective Astrophysics, which I really have a disliking for space. I can take some of it, but having to do that as an elective would probably kill me in some sense :p.

Also, would I be allowed to change to Biology three days into year eleven? the classes are on the same line and all that, so I'm not sure if there would be any problems.

Do any of you have a preference to which course is the most interesting?

Thanks heaps.
You do realise a topic in the core of physics is tittled "space"

I got a friend that done all 3 and he loved phyiscs but also like biology. He got 90 in physics and 94 in biology. Our physics teacher is an absolute champion aswell, best teacher i've ever had.

P.S I LOVED PHYSICS! it was prob the best subject i did, except for maths.

Last edited:

misscrumbs

HSC
N/A
Biology isn't required for Uni Bio courses. In fact, the lecturers want to brainwash HSC Biology from your heads.

shady145

Banned
HSC
yes if you dont like space then dont do physics. core topic = space and then your elective is astrophysics.
physics is easily the most interesting subject i do. phys in yr 11 is crap compared to yr 12. i cant tell u what i think of bio coz i dnt do it.
but from what you say BIO is the definite winner.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
ok, i hear physics is much more useful for medicene and stuff because it teaches you to solve problems, think outside the square etc. where as biology teaches you to memorise a textbook.

Also depending on the university you go to you may be able to get up to five UAI points for doing exceptionally well in a subject, for example at ANU you can get this for medical science if you do exceptionally well in chemistry, physics or maths.... not biology. so check up on the uni's you want to go to.

but since you already have chemistry you don't really need to worry about that, you should take into consideration which one will be the most time consuming and which one you will enjoy the most and then pick.

2S1D3

HSC
ok, i hear physics is much more useful for medicene and stuff because it teaches you to solve problems, think outside the square etc. where as biology teaches you to memorise a textbook.
Not neccesarily.
To the OP it's entirely up to you and how you learn. I believe that in order to do well in Physics you need a genuine interest in it, most of the top 20 people in my year were absolute nerds when it came to Physics.
On the other hand Biology is pretty easy compared to Physics ( in my point of view), a majority is memorisation. Since you want to do Medicine, I think that the combination of Biology/ Chem would help you much more than a Physics/ Chem combination. But try to chose by term 3 of year 11. Good luck btw

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
do bio.

its so much fun, you wont regret it.
yeah, mindless content! that's my idea of a party.

Physics is a far more interesting subject. but kinda pointless asking since you said you don't like space, and have an incompetent teacher.
but you can change up until you hit 4th term year 11, so change, check it out, see if you want to go back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)