Picking 3 Sciences, good idea? Or no? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello,

I'm picking Biology, Physics and Chemistry. Can I cope? I don't know my abilities. It's the only subjects, I like. Tell me what it is about?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Use the search button to figure out what they are about. As for coping, if you like the subjects then that is enough motivation to get you through anything.

Feynman

HSC
Probably not worth it unless you reaaaally like science. I'd say choose the two sciences you enjoy the most and then pick a humanities or even technology subject for variety

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Hello,

I'm picking Biology, Physics and Chemistry. Can I cope? I don't know my abilities. It's the only subjects, I like. Tell me what it is about?
If you say that you like it then sure go ahead :D

My friend is doing all three and is coming top 20 in all, with cohorts of 120 for biology, 160 for chem and 115 for physics

As long as you enjoy them and are relatively good at them then I suggest you do all of them

astroman

HSC
its fairly uncommon to see all sciences picked. Mostly people do 2 that are:
- physics/chemistry for math/engineering related courses.
- biology/chemistry for medicine/health related courses.

you can always do the three sciences and then drop later on, a few of my friends are doing and cope fine.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
You can do all only if you are really passionate about science because it's a lot of work.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
its fairly uncommon to see all sciences picked. Mostly people do 2 that are:
- physics/chemistry for math/engineering related courses.
- biology/chemistry for medicine/health related courses.

you can always do the three sciences and then drop later on, a few of my friends are doing and cope fine.
Not really.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
believe in yourself and you can do it. Your positive mindset is crucial for success. Just say that you can get band 6 in all sciences and this will help your motivation levels

macrazy

HSC
I personally do all three and find it no different to doing three subjects from different areas - in fact some of the content overlaps and a lot of the exams have the same sort of structure so that can help too! If you like science go for it, it will take some effort (especially in wroting up prac reports) but it's not a horrible workload if you manage it as you go and don't try to cram before exams :) if you have any questions about it let me know, I'm happy to help :)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Nowadays most top courses at UNI want you to do 2 sciences in Year 12. I haven't seen a course at uni that requires you to have done 3 sciences, maybe there is but I haven't seen one. Anyway if you can handle it and have the dedication and motivation to keep you going, why not!

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Pros: You get into the same mindset for studying, your assessments will have a similar layout for all three sciences e.g. practicals, presentations. Opens yourself up to more university courses.
Cons: Your assessments for sciences will most likely be bunched up throughout the year, its stressful to not have diversity and having to study the same format e.g. instead of having a case study to relieve yourself from studying constant sciences, your mind always has to be on science.

HSC
Thank you guys for your replies! It really means a lot. The thing is, I just got my head into the studying habit. I nearly broke down the other day because I couldnt do a Math exam which I studied my shit off for. So I'm kind of worried that it will happen again with these 3 subjects.
I love Chemistry, I passed ALL of my exam on Chemistry topic for year 10. I love it, even I watch Breaking Bad haha. As for Physics, I want to do it so I can become an Engineer in the army. Whereas, Biology I'm having second thoughts. There's no other subjects I want to do. If I drop Biology in year 12, I will only have 9 Units left.

I'm doing Ext 1 Math btw, and Standard English. By all means doing 3 Sciences, is there any advice you guys offer me? (Please don't say, if you love it, you will do well GAHAHA). Should I buy the notes on this website? I need advice on managing time each week. I feel like blowing my brains out knowing for a fact, that my mother wants to enrol me into tutoring for Chemistry and Physics. Will my social life be gone? Will I wear myself out doing these 3 Sciences?

astroman

HSC
you will not wear yourself out if you have good time management.
you will not lose your social life, don't overthink the senior years as being different to your previous years, you still have enough time for social activities.
i reccommend you don't do bio, all my friends say its shit.
you should only do tutoring if you think you need it, if you see constant increases in your marks, then you are going good and tutoring is not really that necessary. Only get a tutor if you are struggling or if you want to get further taught what you may not of understood in class. There are great tutors on this forum.
You can buy notes on this website too, i suggest you first also look into the free notes available on the resources section of this forum.

Goodluck

HSC
What subjects do you guys recommend me doing?

I just finished Hurlstone's Entrance Exam yesterday, and if I actually make it in. I won't worry about doing Bio, and probably just do Agriculture for 2 units. But if I don't make it in, what do you guys suggests what subject I do rather than Biology? And why?

astroman

HSC
What subjects do you guys recommend me doing?

I just finished Hurlstone's Entrance Exam yesterday, and if I actually make it in. I won't worry about doing Bio, and probably just do Agriculture for 2 units. But if I don't make it in, what do you guys suggests what subject I do rather than Biology? And why?
depends what interest you??

HSC
Argh, I don't know man. Nothing interests me anymore. Except those 3 Science subjects that kind of catches my eye. How do I manage my time though? How did you manage your time astroman haha

astroman

HSC
Argh, I don't know man. Nothing interests me anymore. Except those 3 Science subjects that kind of catches my eye. How do I manage my time though? How did you manage your time astroman haha
tbh year 11 was kind of a bludge but this is really bad, i begun year 11 with the mindset of being super proactive and sticking to a strict routine, but that obviously didn't work very well. I actually managed my time pretty bad but still got the necessary work done LOL. I suggest you write up a daily to do list suggesting what you want to accomplish in the day, also keep it short and realistic, don't write complete a whole chapter of a textbook, keep the work divided and short. Also compile a weekly to do list which can be broader and more in depth such as write essay regarding....and get marked by teacher or complete past papers etc. this is just what i'm going to do as a lot of my other friends are as well lol, i suggest you do some research on time management and play around with how you are more suited.
If you are still confused at a subject i suggest you do something simple, i did IPT, it's super easy as, hardly any writing and only a few things need to be rememeberd. I got 95 in my yearly and studied only like 3 hrs the day before. lol

HSC
Ah cheers Astroman. Thanks for helping, I've been miserable on the thought that I wouldn't cope with 3 Science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)