• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pill/Implanon/IUD (1 Viewer)

mellow3sooth

HSC
Hay. So, i noticed that the main type of contraception that people talk about here is the Pill. Has anyone considered Implanon or IUDs? What do you view are the pros and cons of Implanon or IUDs compared to taking the Pill? I've only just started uni, so obviously i won't be wanting to get pregnant too soon. So, i'm kind of undecided right now. Pill/Implanon/IUD? afaik they all have side effects to a degree. What do you think? What are your experiences with each of these?

Thanks be muchly for your time. :)

boris

Banned
HSC
Pros and Cons;

Implanon lasts up to three years. It's good if you're not looking for children for a long time.
Con is that it's invasive (requires local anaesthetic)

I don't know a lot about intraurinary devices, they're more common with older women. All I know is that there is the copper IUD (been around a while) and a newer Progestogen IUD.

The other one is Depo Provera. It's a 3 monthly injection and is good if you forget the pill or don't want something as long term as Implanon.

mellow3sooth

HSC
boris said:
Pros and Cons;

Implanon lasts up to three years. It's good if you're not looking for children for a long time.
Con is that it's invasive (requires local anaesthetic)

I don't know a lot about intraurinary devices, they're more common with older women. All I know is that there is the copper IUD (been around a while) and a newer Progestogen IUD.

The other one is Depo Provera. It's a 3 monthly injection and is good if you forget the pill or don't want something as long term as Implanon.
yeh, i just read that having an IUD inserted is quite difficult if you haven't had a child yet, so i guess that counts that one out for me. I am liking the sound of Implanon though, because it lasts for quite a few years, except that i've heard it can have pretty unfavourable side effects. I'm pretty ok with the fact that it's invasive though. So, just a jab, then they insert it? I'll have to look up that Depo Provera. Thanks for the reply. ^^

boris

Banned
HSC
mellow3sooth said:
yeh, i just read that having an IUD inserted is quite difficult if you haven't had a child yet, so i guess that counts that one out for me. I am liking the sound of Implanon though, because it lasts for quite a few years, except that i've heard it can have pretty unfavourable side effects. I'm pretty ok with the fact that it's invasive though. So, just a jab, then they insert it? I'll have to look up that Depo Provera. Thanks for the reply. ^^
http://www.fpahealth.org.au/sex-matters/factsheets/

Helpful website. It's where we print off our factsheets to place in the Community Health Centre.

mellow3sooth

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
IUDs are done under anaestetic also.

Failure rates (first year)
Perfect use 0.6%
Typical use 0.8%
Usage
Duration effect 5–12+ years
Reversibility Immediate
User reminders Check thread position after each period
Clinic review Annually
Advantages and Disadvantages
STD protection No
Periods May be heavier and more painful
Benefits Unnecessary to take any daily action.
Emergency contraception if inserted within 5 days
Risks Small transient risk of PID in first 20 days following insertion.
Rarely, uterine perforation.
thanks. =)

boris said:
http://www.fpahealth.org.au/sex-matters/factsheets/

Helpful website. It's where we print off our factsheets to place in the Community Health Centre.
oh, wow. Thanks heaps for the link. =)

edit: hm, i'm tossing up between Implanon and the pill, but i'm really leaning towards implanon. Are there any girls out there with horror stories to ward me off my decision? :eek:

Last edited:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I was talking to my doctor about this last week. He says that he has never seen a case of a happy patient with the implanon. A couple things to consider that he mentioned:

- When lifting your arm (say for example holding on to a handle on a bus) this shows the implanon in your arm, and hence you should probably be comfortable with the assertion of being sexually active.

- The insertion device used to put the implanon in your arm uses a reverse technique to normal syringes. It's a pull back motion instead of a push forward. Also, the implanon is the same colour as this plunger thing in the device so there have been a couple of reported cases of pregnancies because the device was never put in at all.

- The level of hormones in the implanon are unpure (ie a mix with male hormones) and so there can be a lot of problems with increase body hair, acne and weight gain.

- Its apparently really difficult to get out.

- It can cause irregular bleeding /spotting.

I dont put this up to scare you, I have friends who have implanon and have absolutely no problems with it. My Doctor pointed out that he was being biased, and told me to go research it for myself. But to be honest, I am happy with the pill. I went on it ust over a year ago for acne problems, and I've had no real trouble with it.

The bottom line is that everyone reacts differently to different things. I would suggest talking to as many people as you can who have the implanon as well as your doctor.

As for IUDs, my doctor seemed to be much happier to suggest them - they get inserted into the womb, release a pure form of progesterone in slow release from what I can understand. Apparently they got a really bad name in the 70s but it has been proven now that their low success rate during this time was more a case of promiscuity than failure of the treatment itself.

boris

Banned
HSC
Nah well, back in the 70s it was a copper IUD. They've had quite a few problems with IUDs, and if not put in properly they can fall out when you sit to pee, etc.

I think the new one which is hormone based is much more reliable but not suggested if you have more than one partner (which I don't fully understand why, might be an STD issue)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
yeah i think my dr mentioned STDs. Can't quite remember. I don't intend to change.

mellow3sooth

HSC
Born Dancer said:
I was talking to my doctor about this last week. He says that he has never seen a case of a happy patient with the implanon. A couple things to consider that he mentioned:

- When lifting your arm (say for example holding on to a handle on a bus) this shows the implanon in your arm, and hence you should probably be comfortable with the assertion of being sexually active.

- The insertion device used to put the implanon in your arm uses a reverse technique to normal syringes. It's a pull back motion instead of a push forward. Also, the implanon is the same colour as this plunger thing in the device so there have been a couple of reported cases of pregnancies because the device was never put in at all.

- The level of hormones in the implanon are unpure (ie a mix with male hormones) and so there can be a lot of problems with increase body hair, acne and weight gain.

- Its apparently really difficult to get out.

- It can cause irregular bleeding /spotting.

I dont put this up to scare you, I have friends who have implanon and have absolutely no problems with it. My Doctor pointed out that he was being biased, and told me to go research it for myself. But to be honest, I am happy with the pill. I went on it ust over a year ago for acne problems, and I've had no real trouble with it.

The bottom line is that everyone reacts differently to different things. I would suggest talking to as many people as you can who have the implanon as well as your doctor.

As for IUDs, my doctor seemed to be much happier to suggest them - they get inserted into the womb, release a pure form of progesterone in slow release from what I can understand. Apparently they got a really bad name in the 70s but it has been proven now that their low success rate during this time was more a case of promiscuity than failure of the treatment itself.
eh. Suddenly Implanon doesn't sound like that awesome an idea. =\ So, sometimes the device doesn't actually even get inserted?? :confused: wow. But, i'll take your advice and ask around. And i'll look more into IUDs. Taking the pill seems so confusing, but i guess i'd get used to the routine after a while. Thankyou =)

boris

Banned
HSC
You would be best to do some research or something about the doctor you see. Ask him how many he has done, success rate, failures, etc..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Personally most people I know who have had the implanton have gone back to the pill.

Implanton can cause irregular bleeding and I know someone who's doctor put it it wrong so its been moved and now its difficult to get out.

IUDs usually aren't suggested for young people and did cause problems a while back, my mums friend took years and IVF attempts to get pregnant.

I'm on the pill and provided you have a decent memory and no medical reasons why you cant take it its pretty good. Unlike the implant you can choose when and if to skip periods and you can stop it quite easy.

Its really quite easy provided you listen to your doctor AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. All you have to do is pick a time you easily remember i.e. breakfast or bed time or something and take it everyday then. I take mine at 8:30am because I am almost always awake and if I am out, just have it in my hand bag and take it then.

Most pills are relatively cheap.
Mine for example is Microgynon 30ED/Levlen ED
The brand name one is Microgynon 30ED and is something like $30 for four months supply but I get the generic brand Levlen ED which is like $17.00 for a four months supply.

Things to remember with the pill:
1. Read the instructions
2. Take it everyday
3. If you forget/throw up etc.. make sure you read the instructions and use a condom until the pack says you should
4. Always tell the doctor you are on it so they can check if it will reduce the effect or have its effect reduced by other medicines.
5. If it doubt ask
6. Tell you doctor about any other medicines or medical problems you have

The packets make it simple.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Pillpacketopen.jpg

Look at that packet ok. Here the person started the packet on a Wednesday in the green section, then all you need to do is follow the arrows on the packet until its done then start the next one :) The instructions explain it all and a good doctor should be able to reassure you and help you out with any questions.

Last edited:

mellow3sooth

HSC
boris said:
You would be best to do some research or something about the doctor you see. Ask him how many he has done, success rate, failures, etc..
Ok. Shall do.

melsc said:
Personally most people I know who have had the implanton have gone back to the pill.

Implanton can cause irregular bleeding and I know someone who's doctor put it it wrong so its been moved and now its difficult to get out.

IUDs usually aren't suggested for young people and did cause problems a while back, my mums friend took years and IVF attempts to get pregnant.

I'm on the pill and provided you have a decent memory and no medical reasons why you cant take it its pretty good. Unlike the implant you can choose when and if to skip periods and you can stop it quite easy.

Its really quite easy provided you listen to your doctor AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. All you have to do is pick a time you easily remember i.e. breakfast or bed time or something and take it everyday then. I take mine at 8:30am because I am almost always awake and if I am out, just have it in my hand bag and take it then.

Most pills are relatively cheap.
Mine for example is Microgynon 30ED/Levlen ED
The brand name one is Microgynon 30ED and is something like $30 for four months supply but I get the generic brand Levlen ED which is like $17.00 for a four months supply.

Things to remember with the pill:
1. Read the instructions
2. Take it everyday
3. If you forget/throw up etc.. make sure you read the instructions and use a condom until the pack says you should
4. Always tell the doctor you are on it so they can check if it will reduce the effect or have its effect reduced by other medicines.
5. If it doubt ask
6. Tell you doctor about any other medicines or medical problems you have

The packets make it simple.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Pillpacketopen.jpg

Look at that packet ok. Here the person started the packet on a Wednesday in the green section, then all you need to do is follow the arrows on the packet until its done then start the next one :) The instructions explain it all and a good doctor should be able to reassure you and help you out with any questions.
Thanks. ^_^ Maybe the pill isn't as complicated as i thought. But, one problem: i have trouble swallowing pills :eek: is there any way i can practise?

boris

Banned
HSC
mellow3sooth said:
Ok. Shall do.

Thanks. ^_^ Maybe the pill isn't as complicated as i thought. But, one problem: i have trouble swallowing pills :eek: is there any way i can practise?
The pill is tiny, if you can swallow half an M&M you'll be fine. Swallow it with juice or milk.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
given the options of IUDs. and implanon.. depo and the pill..

id say for a 20 something yr old it would be the pill and mabbe depo.. but depo.. has its own problems.. if the outcome is for contraception.. if it was for menstrual issues.. id consider the depo..

Implanon.. has to be inserted by a trained OBGYN or u risk failure

IUD... i once saw one of these bad boys get just above the bladder... after it perforated a uterus.. its an old one.. and is recommended for older women..

comments: if u want to use it for contraception.. use a condom as well if u have multiple partners or u risk contracting an STI tat might make u sterile

u need to cease the pill about 1-2 yrs before u plan to have children to have a decent chance. all of these methods risk failure.. so a condom is advisable unless u dun mind being pregnant or having an ectopic pregnancy :S... the latter being a surgical emergency..

Last edited:

katykins

i never meant to lie,
in a bulletproof vest, with the windows all closed
HSC
the pill is really quite simple.
likesaid above, you take it at the same time every day and follow the arrows to know which one to take.
before you start, practice swallowing pills with tic tacs; the pill is even smaller than that, so yeah.

i'm on yasmin, and the only side effects ive had are perfect round tits and glowing skin. :)

Skeeta

HSC
god damn pill. I had to go bra shopping again

*stabs*

But yes. Boobage ++

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ Agreed I went from a 10C to a 10D/DD (Well one boob is almost a cupsize smaller) 10D/DD is a lot harder to find, but my boyfriend was happy

I've had no side effects besides the odd sick feeling when I take the pill after being off it for a week for my period

mellow3sooth

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
u need to cease the pill about 1-2 yrs before u plan to have children to have a decent chance. all of these methods risk failure.. so a condom is advisable unless u dun mind being pregnant or having an ectopic pregnancy :S... the latter being a surgical emergency..
1-2 years to become completely 'normal' after taking the pill? :confused: That's a really long time. =\ But, don't some people become pregnant after forgetting to take a pill, so i don't really see how this '1-2 years' thing works. (??)

And, does taking the pill actually increase cup size? Wow. *is secretly pleased* :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)