Problems with dorm offers anyone? (1 Viewer)

dazzi_dani

HSC
neo_o said:
I'm not sure, but perhaps people who applied for a college like Ursies or Johns were at an advantage? We had to write a few bits and pieces and submit information about ourselves. Perhaps even if we didn't get into Johns, this information was then shared with halls etc that don't have admissions procedures.

that makes sense to me, i got into johns but they had alot of information on me from written refereces and an interview which would probably have been useful for another college/hall.

is anyone else going to johns? b&g and ursies seem to be popular choices!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I would have gone if I'd gotten in =( I suppose I applied too late to get an interview.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I applied on the first day of applications too, but they never asked for a personal statement or interview...I figured it was irrelevant if they guaranteed a spot?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Iron woman said:
I applied on the first day of applications too, but they never asked for a personal statement or interview...I figured it was irrelevant if they guaranteed a spot?
Ursies + Burg + Johns choose who they want.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I know, that's why I chose B&G and Fenner...woe is me.

Last edited:

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
mayhemily - LOL I THINK I SAW YOU COMPLAINING AT THE OFFICE!

And rightly so - i think i've bugged that Matt Wilkison guy enough times as it is, i called him up twice, subjected 2 of his colleagues to my drivel which resulted in them calling him up again and doing a status check on my application...then got my 3 friends to query about their accomodation arrangements as well and how it was 'sooooo not first come first serve...an INJUSTICE'

And where did you people get that form where you tell people about yourself? I didn't get that...nor was i informed. I might not have read too clearly on the dorm information on the ursula/bruce hall webbie but i don't think it mentioned an extra form to be filled.

Well, i've been told i'll be getting it THIS WEEK.

BIG QUESTION! THE DEADLINE IS ON THE FREAKING 28TH!

looks like i'vev gotta give this Matt guy another call.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Iron woman said:
They guarantee a spot. They don't guarantee a spot in the halls which you choose. Basically, you will have somewhere to stay, but not necessarily where you want it.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
i applied late and my first pref was swapped with my second (or just overrulled because i applied late/fenner is already full)
when then confirmed my acceptance with an email it said something about b&g at the top. since i'm not from canberra they guarantee me accomidation.... but i've not heard from them.
they'd best give me b&g. grrr.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah these deadlines are a bit of a bother

mayhemily

HSC
nah ursula doesnt have character refs and that like the others. But I went and talked to the people yesterday, everyone at accom services said it shouldnt have happened and that i'd been ripped. And Matt Wilkinson the guy in charge said that it comes down to the person in charge of each residence itself so perhaps there was a demographic factor or something. Or maybe my friend just happened to apply as a spot came up and got lucky. Anyway, I went over and checked out the AIHS and its really nice, the people I spoke to were so friendly and the rooms are bigger than at ursula. And they're giving it a spruce up with new bathrooms and painting and stuff ready for us so it'll be ok, not like im being shoved into a garage at fishwyk or something like that lol.

Paroissien

HSC
At Ursula they said they are evening up the ratio of boys to girls this year, when in the past more girls have been selected. Maybe that contributes...

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
GOD DAMNIT! STILL NOT OFFERS!!!!

DID SOMEONE MENTION THAT FENNER WAS FULL?

I AM SO FRUSTRATED AND STRESSED RIGHT NOW! I SO DON'T NEED THIS SHIT WHEN I HAVE NO IDEA WTF IS GOING ON!!!

shit....i think i just cracked

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sounds like it.

Ring first thing thursday - find out wtf is happening fill in forms asap and send them express guaranteed next day as early as possible on thursday. Include a covering letter apologising for the lateness (take care not to explicitely blame the university admin, but outline the reasons in an objective manner).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was told an offer will be made this week, and we get 5 days grace from having the offer made to filling out the forms (i.e. not the 28th)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
they told me i'd get an offer too... they've not contacted me. i'll have to call tomorrow morning too.
i'm getting pretty stressed. i have no idea what the hell is going on.

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
i would have thought ANU would be more organised that this -

bah, my friend macdaddy came up with the theory that we may be shoved into a waiting list thus the wait til after the 28th...anyone who fails to reply gets kicked out and we get in. They just aren't saying we are in a waiting list cuse we *well first years* are guaranteed accomodation.

Ironwomen - Thanks for calling them up...5 days....i so need that

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hooray - offer made - B&G - Hate ANU already, but offer made.
Anyone else get late offers? I was told some would take until monday.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Ziff, Ironwoman and Twistedd all in the same hall... oh... my... various... Gods...

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
the reason why all you guys are being screwed over is because ANU is the most disorganised uni on the face of the planet! Last year they tried to initiate the rule that all first years would be gurranteed a place in a hall or college and not some shitty, overly priced hell hole of a motel that is off campus. This rule was subsequently overturned becuase it meant that over 200 residents already residing in the halls would be kicked out with no gurrantee of where they were living. Thus, ANU had to still gurrantee accomadation, the only problem being that the accommadation that some people will recieve is not what they would have originally applied for. For all of those guys who are being screwed over you are probably better off going to another uni then living in one of the "approved" motels, because from all of the reports that i have heard about those places they are virtually unliviable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)