Q: "What kind of lawyer do you want to be?" A: "A rich one!" (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
When it comes to choosing what kind of lawyer to be, the answer is “rich”.

Unfortunately, being rich is not as easy as it was in the bad old ’80s, when many law graduates were given a BMW right at the graduation ceremony.

Luckily, however, there are still plenty of opportunities to get rich in the law, as long as you are prepared to:

(a) live in the US;

(b) work really hard, put your nose to the grindstone and keep near-suicidal hours; or

(c) involve yourself in activities that are not, technically, legal.​

Personally, I would recommend living in the US. I don’t say this because lawyers are better paid in the US; it’s simply that if you are in the US, you might spill hot coffee on your hands, causing you to slip on a discarded Coke can and fall onto a footpath. In my opinion, this will allow you to sue the coffee shop, Coca-Cola/Amatil, the city council and any bystanders who laughed at you, probably for about three trillion dollars. Of course, this would be reduced on appeal to a mere several million, but this would still allow you to live well until you looked sideways at someone and got sued yourself.

Option (b) is of course not a serious option; no one makes money through the law via hard work. Take sole practitioners: they pour their heart and soul into their business, build it from the ground up over a period of 25 years, to the point where they can sell it for almost enough money to buy a hot-dog stand. I mean, heaps of people work hard in the law, it is just that other people make the money.

Option (c) is of course completely and totally rejected. We do not endorse any illegal activity, unless it involves the cruel and inhumane torture of the people who brought us Big Brother, in which case no court in the world would convict you.

But before you decide on the kind of solicitor you can be (apart from rich), you need to know the sort of solicitor you don’t want to be.

The first kind of solicitor you don’t want to be – apart from poor – is the kind that is not entitled to a private life.

I have a friend whose wife works for a firm with this kind of attitude, and as it stands at the moment, he is allowed to see her on designated holidays, religious festivals and wedding anniversaries; if they ever want to have kids, their only hope is that she gets sent to prison for some reason and he is allowed conjugal visits.

There are probably heaps of other kinds of solicitors you don’t want to be, but unfortunately I am one of them (the lazy kind) and I can’t be bothered thinking of any right this minute.

I will note, however, that it goes without saying that the worst kind of solicitor you could be is the kind that makes fun of other solicitors just so he can have a column in the LIJ.

Anyway, that is enough valuable advice for this time; I will go through the kinds of solicitor you can be next time, barring the unlikely event that I come up with a better idea.

SHANE BUDDEN is a legal officer with the Queensland Building Services Authority. This column first appeared in the Queensland journal Proctor.

(2006) 80(10) LIJ, p. 86

HSC
*Snores*

I understand you're trying to drum it into our heads not to go into law for the money, but the pay really isnt that bad. For major firms its basically on par with accounting and just lower than I banking, and even in the suburbs lawyers generally make more than my parents do teaching.

Last I heard those working for the DPP were still above the poverty line.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I understand you're trying to drum it into our heads not to go into law for the money
eh..? hahah you understand wrong. I was just talking about barristers making up to $15k in another thread, and I've also posted this link in another thread previously. As I was saying there, law money looks pretty good.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hmm no one ever mentions being a Legal Officer in say the Airforce/Navy. I can't be fucked to look up the pay scale, I'm sure it's drastically lower then private, but I'm thinking that Defense Law could be interesting...Rogue do you know if the arm forces fully clear your HECS if you join their grad program? I'm also assuming you get basic military training (I'll like this, I'm an active person), free dental/healthcare for life??

I guess more to the point, does the distinction become more "fused" between a Barrister/Solicitor within the constraints of military law. Based on the Navy's description of a Legal Officer, it sounded like one minute you could be doing some advocacy and the second researching international laws or signing contracts. I'd love the variation.

And of final importance, since I live an existence complete with suffering due to my untamed ego, would I be saluted by soldiers when I stepped in a room- "Ten-hut! There's an officer on deck." :)

*This user has spent the last five days watching "A Few Good Men" (app. 3 in under 96 hrs) and J.A.G. re-runs

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
You missed this brief exchange and a couple of other brief conversations about military law in the law forum.
Haha thanks. I was about to quote it and say 'actually I've mentioned it several times over the last 4 years.'

The ADF will clear your HECS only if you join as a sponsored undergraduate, and you'll have to pay them back with a return of service obligation where you agree to stay in the ADF for a number of years commensurate with how much of your degree they paid for. Sadly, this means that you can't get to your final session (when most people decide what they want to do), go 'it's the army life for me' and then have your whole debt written off.

I'd say that yes, it does become more fused. In the Navy for instance, while you are ashore you would be assisting with contracts and (more commonly) providing legal advice to service members like a local practitioner would and occasionally appearing at military tribunals. At sea - every ship has a LEGALO - you would be applying the law of the sea, the laws of armed conflict and various other aspects of international law on a regular basis. Fun fact: before firing on another ship, the captain will almost always check it's kosher with the LEGALO.

And yes, you would be saluted by anyone who's of a lower rank than you. It gets tiresome after a while though because you have to return the bloody things.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Soft drinks and snack foods gradually became the primary focus of the company, which was renamed Amatil Limited in 1977. It began to expand bottling operations overseas in Europe, purchasing a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Austria in 1982 and expanding into Fiji and New Zealand in 1987. A majority stake was purchased by The Coca-Cola Company in 1989, although today its ownership is 30.4%.
The more you know :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I was going to study law in the US. But then theres the fact its useless here, and i can't guarentee i will live in the US.

fml

James Cos

HSC
Not to belabour the point, but Coca-Cola Amatil isn't one of the bottlers of Coke in the US. Amatil bottles predominantely for Australian markets - so you'd be hard pressed to slip on a CCA-produced can on an American footpath.

See, we learn something new every day. :)

wil123

HSC
Not to belabour the point, but Coca-Cola Amatil isn't one of the bottlers of Coke in the US. Amatil bottles predominantely for Australian markets - so you'd be hard pressed to slip on a CCA-produced can on an American footpath.

See, we learn something new every day. :)
Doubt anyone honestly gives a shit..

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Yes there are lawyers who won't end up being drastically rich, but with a law degree you'll never be below the poverty line. I can almost guarentee that you'll have your 2.5 children with a house in the suburbs.
So I kind of resent the OPs implications. Law is a fairly flexible degree. you can earn alot, or you can get a job which is a lot more family oriented (working in government etc)

antisheep

HSC
Yes there are lawyers who won't end up being drastically rich, but with a law degree you'll never be below the poverty line. I can almost guarentee that you'll have your 2.5 children with a house in the suburbs.
So I kind of resent the OPs implications. Law is a fairly flexible degree. you can earn alot, or you can get a job which is a lot more family oriented (working in government etc)
that's not all there is to it Eclipse, the fact of the matter is that Law has been repeatedly listed as an over-supplied industry... law graduates are being pumped out at epic proportions and there simply aren't enough jobs for every single one of them to be a practitioner... let alone in the massive law firms...

and as if that isn't dire enough... to quote my legal ethics lecturer last week "when recessions come around, lawyers are the first to go"

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Oh Christ, don't say that, I need hope for my post-uni future at the moment.

HSC
N/A
Law for money: welcome to the dark side, and oh, hey money/personal gains. That's awesome.
Eclipse008 said:
Law+something else?

ETA: Thread title; public defender, then private-practice attorney.
Or something.

Last edited:

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I think people devalue the benefits of working in the public sector. Quite obviously the earning potential is much smaller, however it provides a much greater work/life balance, added job security with a relatively decent income.

Lara1986

HSC
and as if that isn't dire enough... to quote my legal ethics lecturer last week "when recessions come around, lawyers are the first to go"

The flip side to that however as one of the partners where i work says, is that post recession workload will drastically increase in certain areas, particularly if you deal with foreclosures and other such property matters, business insolvency etc, family law, crime etc.

I suppose in a way it is sort of common sense that these areas will increase post recession as the financial troubles people have will lead them to do/not do things they would otherwise have been able to do/avoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)