Queensland State Election 09 (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Try QLD local radio?

Or ABC Newsradio?

HSC
Is the QLD state labour government as incompetent as the NSW one seems?

I always had the vague impression that Bligh was quite capable - perhaps because of my complete ignorance re: QLD politics...?

Lentern

HSC

I always had the vague impression that Bligh was quite capable - perhaps because of my complete ignorance re: QLD politics...?
Quite similar, slightly younger government, considerably more federal government investment makes a happier population but for the large part there isn't alot Bligh does that Iemma/Rees didn't. Plus a Queenslander for pm will create a bit more goodwill in the electorate.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
LNP Majority could probably be ruled out now.

The poll breakdowns did indicate that the swings in the larger SE QLD booths would be much bigger though.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Antony just pretty much called it for Labor.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This isn't even close.

Lentern

HSC
Greens have pulled ahead of ALP in Indooroopilly. No real way of guessing where DSQ votes of going so at this stage it's anyones seat. Oh what fun.

Lentern

HSC
LNP Majority could probably be ruled out now.

The poll breakdowns did indicate that the swings in the larger SE QLD booths would be much bigger though.
Much more important aren't they? When playing with Antony's little calculator gizmo I could give LNP a swing of ten percent in regional QLD without winning but I think 5% in SE with no regional swing won it for the LNP.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

The Labour government in QLD is fairly well liked and Bligh has relatively high approval ratings (2 to 3 times higher than Springborg's).

It's just that Australians hate early elections, and it probably doesn't help that Labour has been in power for 11 years now.

But no, QLD Labour is nothing like NSW Labour (at least in popular perception, but also bureaucratic mistakes).

I'd be highly surprised if LNP wins this. Part of the 'problem' for Labour is the Greens not preferencing Labour on some seats.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
The Labour government in QLD is fairly well liked and Bligh has relatively high approval ratings (2 to 3 times higher than Springborg's).

It's just that Australians hate early elections, and it probably doesn't help that Labour has been in power for 11 years now.

But no, QLD Labour is nothing like NSW Labour (at least in popular perception, but also bureaucratic mistakes).

I'd be highly surprised if LNP wins this. Part of the 'problem' for Labour is the Greens not preferencing Labour on some seats.
Lies, QLD is on the same track as NSW, just three years younger. This is the "Iemma election" of QLD. Much newer Premier, no especially skilled opposition which will mean a government that nobody really wants will hang around for another term by the end of which will be extremely unpopular. Expect a similar thing to happen in Victoria with Mr Brumby, although it might not work so well because Brumby has been around so long as LOP and government minister.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Lies, QLD is on the same track as NSW, just three years younger. This is the "Iemma election" of QLD. Much newer Premier, no especially skilled opposition which will mean a government that nobody really wants will hang around for another term by the end of which will be extremely unpopular. Expect a similar thing to happen in Victoria with Mr Brumby, although it might not work so well because Brumby has been around so long as LOP and government minister.
Thanks for sharing your "insight" with us once again, Lentern. :confused:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Springborg is conceeding defeat.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Springborg is conceeding defeat.
One of the most interesting things to come out of this early election is the polling about significant election issues. The QLD voters aren't concerned about the economy, but rather healthcare and hospitals, by a significant margin (roughly 60% vs 20% of respondents naming it as the most important issue).

BTW, do you have any numbers yet, preferably not exit polls?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Springborg has stepped down as leader of the LNP.

So, what went wrong with the opinion polls? They were remarkably consistent throughout the campaign.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Springborg has stepped down as leader of the LNP.

So, what went wrong with the opinion polls? They were remarkably consistent throughout the campaign.
Nothing went wrong. This always had a high probability of going Labour's way. Recall the margin of error of polls as well as sampling difficulties and electoral prediction complexities. Polls rarely ever break an electorate down into the seperate entities it actually is, for instance.

Pollbludger at crikey predicted exactly this outcome a few weeks ago when the first 51-49 for LNP poll popped up.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Fantastic win, superb candidate, decent victory speech. A good Labor girl who stands with the community. Qld has changed for the better. This is a win for responsible, competent government and women everywhere.

Happy days are here again,
The skies above are clear again
So let us sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here agaaaaaain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)