Questions from interested 08ers. (2 Viewers)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
zaneus said:
Do you absolutly NEED a UAI to get into ANU? The course i want to do is Bachelor of Music and the requirments didn't state that i needed one. Because of that i have dropped a subject (In year 12) to lighten my load for the time being and give me more study time.

Because of that, i'm not getting a UAI. So, with that said, do i have a chance of getting in now?
....soft

applepie123

HSC
hi, jst wondering...
are there a lot of aussies/curries/asians/other there ? or is it kinda evened out?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
applepie123 said:
okay, so i dont think im that smart ..

i've got a weird question....

Considering anu is top in australia...
most smart students flock to anu, right ?
Do they generally ace the commerce exams ?

jst a bit worried that if im up against really smart ppl, i'll be more likely to fail ...
That's nice
Yes
No
Only if you screw around all day

SuperRen

HSC
I'm not an interested 08er and I posted this somewhere else but this place might be more appropriate.
How do you find out information such as fail rates and the number of HDs given out in a particular course? Is it just speculation? Does anyone know or care to estimate the number of HDs they give out in Arts and Sciences courses?
I know in Science (and Arts) you have to compete with pHB students for HDs but I was under the impression that quite a few HDs are given out in some Science courses such as bio and psyc.

Hercules6

HSC
I imagine that it is very difficult to establish fail rates. However here are a couple of ways i can imagine it being possible:

- sometimes course conveners may state the fail rate for a particular course in the introductory lecture (especially when it is notoriously high)
- If all assessment grades are released on blackboard (or whatever you guys call course websites), someone who has too much time, and is probably too proud, could easily equate the fail/pass rate with simple stat software - more likely excel.
-I'm sure there are other ways, furthermore there are probably unusual or rare occurrences when it is made public (for e.g. I knew of someone who failed a law course then emailed the course convener in a state. Hoping to console, the convener told the person they were in the 60% who failed that course).

-so yeah, you could probably do statistical analysis to work out probabilities (re - z-scores, normal distribution - to get probability) - but over all, I'd say you're pretty correct when you assume it's speculation.

- finally regarded any established rate -they're not set in stone, I'm sure there is reasonably variance year to year (re changing lecturers , tutors, assessment items etc.)

P.S - if you're doing arts or whatever, who cares what the fail/pass rate is in a course. no one cares what your GPA is, unless you want to be an academic or are really crazy about doing honours. I can't see why you'd care - as far as I can tell it's only really in law that your GPA has the ability to ultimately limit your career options.

well i don't know why i've written this..... but.... the end.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
applepie123 said:
okay, so i dont think im that smart ..

i've got a weird question....

Considering anu is top in australia...
most smart students flock to anu, right ? smart students flock to uni's which benefits them more than going to a uni in their home town
Do they generally ace the commerce exams ? there'll always be people acing exams but i reckon this question was pretty silly

jst a bit worried that if im up against really smart ppl, i'll be more likely to fail unless everyone does well and you do shit then your grades won't be effected by a few bright sparks who ace the exam...

HelenwhoreofT

HSC
HI,
I'm hoping to do law at ANU in 2009( I made the cut-off in UAC YAY) and I'm wondering about accomodation. I Have been told that most people go into self-catered in their second year. Do many first-year students go into self-catered?
Thanks!

Sammy-Blue

HSC
HelenwhoreofT said:
HI,
I'm hoping to do law at ANU in 2009( I made the cut-off in UAC YAY) and I'm wondering about accomodation. I Have been told that most people go into self-catered in their second year. Do many first-year students go into self-catered?
Thanks!
If you haven't done so, you need to get going with applications. I know plenty of first years who were in self-catered this year, although I think catered is better for the first year, just until you get settled. Or you're like me and too lazy to cook.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
HelenwhoreofT said:
HI,
Thanks!
uas.anu.edu.au etc

cricketfan10

HSC
is it true that careers help at ANU isn't all that good? remember having a look at a website (can't remember what it was called -_-) where students rated universites and the careers advising bit for ANU wasn't rated all that highly

sparkerasp

HSC
cricketfan10 said:
remember having a look at a website (can't remember what it was called -_-) where students rated universites and the careers advising bit for ANU wasn't rated all that highly
This one maybe? It's called "Rate Your Uni" University Ratings | Rate Your Uni

To tell the truth I would be paying little time looking at those reviews (and that website). As you can see by that site, ANU only has had 17 reviews out of around 14,500 students attending that uni, so... In reality, boredofstudies is a better place to ask the status of a university.

Last edited:

cricketfan10

HSC
sparkerasp said:
This one maybe? It's called "Rate Your Uni" University Ratings | Rate Your Uni

To tell the truth I would be paying little time looking at those reviews (and that website). As you can see by that site, ANU only has had 17 reviews out of around 14,500 students attending that uni, so... In reality, boredofstudies is a better place to ask the status of a university.
yeah thats the one. cheers

didn't notice it was only reviewed by 17 ppl though, so yeah, maybe if someone here could shed some light on how good the careers advisor at anu is? thanks

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Can anyone tell me what the weather's like in Canberra?
Sydney's weather is already a bit dodgey, winter one day and summer heatwave the next and it's a coastal city with sea breezes to stabilise the temperature! How does Canberra differ? All I've heard is that it can get pretty cold.

cricketfan10

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Cold all the time.
Hope that's true....another reason to go to ANU...

what i had heard previously though, on here, is that you should take a fan with you as it can get hot sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)