Questions from interested 08ers. (2 Viewers)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
It's good to have one, but more to circulate air rather than keep cool. I can't remember a day I was there last year when I thought "Wow, it's a real scorcher out there today".

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Hope that's true....another reason to go to ANU...

what i had heard previously though, on here, is that you should take a fan with you as it can get hot sometimes.
ANU isn't that cheap as to skimp on turning the AC/heaters on mate.

mudcake42

HSC
does it really matter that much if you live on campus for your first year? If I get a late round offer I'll have to live off campus. I could defer the offer for a year and then apply for the undergraduate accomodation last year if it makes that much of a difference...

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
why would living on/off campus affect anything? 75% of my mates are locals and live around all suburbs in canberra.

mudcake42

HSC
People say that living on campus is such a great way to meet friends and community and all that. I just don't want to miss out. Or make it heaps harder to make friends

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Living on campus is a great way to make friends and become part of the community - but it's hardly the only way. The important thing is to get out and about, get involved in O-week, get involved in a couple of clubs/societies, make friends in your lectures/tutes.

Yes living off campus you probably have to work a bit harder - but it is far from impossible and certainly not a good reason to defer your studies.

I would be far more worried about finding rental/sharehouse accomodation at this time of year...

mudcake42

HSC
yeh ok cool. yes i am quite worried about accomodation and I won't know until February 4th whether I'm going so i'm praying very, very hard.

if anyone knows anyone who needs to rent out a room...

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
if anyone knows anyone who needs to rent out a room...
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this site, but try checking out ANU Housing Online . You can search for vacancies in established share houses and/or advertise that you're looking for a place.

And yeah, don't defer study just because you miss out on a place in a college (tho fingers crossed you'll get in)! How you handle the uni workload depends on YOU, not where you live. I've been in a share-house my whole time at ANU and I'm pretty happy with how I've done academically etc. And hell, if I can do it, I'm sure you can :)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Is it worth going to ANU for law?
or staying home and going to Macq considering they are both the same UAI...
This has been done to death in previous threads. ANU sets it's UAI entry independent of intake. With that in mind, ANU >Macq.

Andi0390

HSC
I believe ANU is considered a better university than Macquarie but I am not sure about how the law departments of each relate. UAI does not always indicate quality of degree, so independent research is often worth undertaking.

It could be fun to get away from home, but it might be easier to stay. Your choice. Check out both universities as well, you may like one over the other when on campus.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Is it worth going to ANU for law?
or staying home and going to Macq considering they are both the same UAI...
pretty sure ANU ranks similar to UMelb in the law department. and ANU or Umelb > Maq

also i don't think skimping out on your uni choice is good if you plan on doing law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)