reflection statement (1 Viewer)

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I actually really hate my conclusion... I knew I had to write something about what I learned, but I didn't want to sound full of myself, which I think I ended up doing. I said how the skills that I've learned have helped my write a deep, intelligent work and stuff like that. I pretty much believe that, but it's not something I want to go around saying.

HSC
N/A
^ What they said.

Hmm, I really should source some good past reflection statements... maybe after this year, we can have place to put up past works? That will help everyone immensely...

Danger Rose

glitterfairy:

20?! don't you think that's overdoing it a little?! I mean, unless they were really central to the mw and influenced it greatly... I'm worried cos the amount of research that everyone's done sounds so huge, my mw was a fantasy short story so my inspiration was mostly from my own mind... eep. So how did you come up with ur ideas?? Umm, made them up???? I don't think they'd take that very well...

HSC
N/A
Actually, a friend of mine is in the exact same situation- she's now having to 'find' stories to be proof of research (I had to do a similar thing).

I also think 20 is a bit much, but hey...

I guess that if you had a couple of main ones (and there have to be some similar-structured stories to your own) and then made short references to a couple of others, you'll be ok. My theory anyway...

Best wishes!

Danger Rose

Thanks, I think I'll do that... I was also looking up techniques that writers use when they write and trying to find conventions on the genre of fantasy as well, since we did genre as our elective in ext 1. Good luck with urs and ur friend's too!

J

jhakka

I mentioned trilogies and other serieses. Haha. Probably added up to at least 15. :D

1499 words for my second draft. :D

Evening Star

It's from Tolkein damnit
HSC
Have to say I'm stuffed for my reflection statement. Don't know what I'm doing, and I'm in the same boat as you Danger Rose. Mine's a fantasy/mythology thing. What am I supposed to say I referenced? The bible? Seriously, that's where a lot of my information and ideas came from, but it's not exactly the most riveting story as far as techniques go.

Meh... Think I'll go and 'discover' some stuff... Garth Nix and Phillip Pullman sound good. Name dropping all the way!

Good luck and kudos to everyone! Two more days and I don't have to turn up to school at 7:30 in the morning any more! :D

Danger Rose

u know, i tried to write the darn thing tonight and it was pretty surprising what references i came up with - just reading all those fantasy novels really paid off... what was i worried about?! *slaps head* so yeh, evening star, i think you should put the bible and give references to the bits u used, and how u incorporated it into ur mw... also, some last minute research helps too! i was in panic mode this morning so did some general research into genre, how to write, that sorta thing... i figured it would come in useful somehow. hope that helped...

other names... isobelle carmody, cecilia dart-thornton, brian jacques...

J

jhakka

All my referneces were fantasy novels, too. Robin Hobb, David Gemmell, David Eddings, Traci Harding, Tolkien, etc.

HSC
N/A
I'm writing my 5th draft of the reflection statement as we speak... all this 'sophisticated language' is making my head spin. I can't stick a toothpick into the samples I've been given. And trying to make my reflection statement sound like theirs is painful.

Evening Star, your avatar rules. :D I just spend a whole minute watching it :)

J

jhakka

Don't try to sound overly sophisticated. If you manage to get into the Showcase, I don't want to be bored out of my brain reading your reflection statement.

HSC
N/A
New Question. Are we supposed to put footnotes in the reflection statement? The only reason I can think of are for publishing details (but I'm putting a bibliography at the back of RS anyway), but that wouldn't fit because most people (inc myself) have at least 10-15 texts?

J

jhakka

I don't think it's necessary. Isn't footnoting really a uni thing anyway?

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
If it makes anyone feel better or more calm at this late stage: I'm only just writing my Reflection Statement now. "First draft."

Heh.

weak_potato

foot notes?

hey! to reply about the foot notes!
i got told that you have to even if you indicate that it comes from somewhere because they can get u for plagurism?(not that crash hot with spelling) and if they do that you will not get marked!
could be wrong but that is what our school is doing!

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
If you're doing critical then you have to footnote, not only to avoid being accused of plagiarism, but also because it adds credibility to your work. I don't know about in Reflection Statements, but generally, if you're going to directly quote someone you have to footnote it accordingly. Also, if you're going to use someone's specific theory or concept you need to footnote that also.

Like I said, to avoid plagiarism and also to prove you're not just talking out of your ass. :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I'm not doing a critical analysis, rather a web site, but I am wacking all of my sources into a bibliography tacked onto the end of the web site.

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
quick q? - i'm doin poetry - do i still need referencing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)