• No

Votes: 1,279 66.6%
  • Depends on the workload

Votes: 398 20.7%

• Total voters

Dani-L

HSC
Hey there,
I have been with someone for 2 years and 3 months, and doubting the relationship the past few months, i tried to wait until exams were over to work things out, but this has only frustrated me more because i wanted to know what they were thinking and whether they felt the same way. I got a call the other night and in a few sentences everything was confirmed. We broke up today but i haven't been able to study for about 4 days now because i couldn't/can't stop thinking about it. Even though it was a mutual decision, any relationship good or bad, short or long, going strong or hanging by a thread can affect exams.

In other words... there's no right answer and shit happens.

clare22

HSC
I just started the HSC course work and things in my life have gotten so hectic. I broke up with my boyfriend even though he is the most amazing guy and i care for him so much because I didnt have time for him with all the work and i couldnt see him or talk 2 him or give hime what he emotionally, spiritually, physically and socially needed.

IT was one of the hardest and most heart braking decisions I've ever had to make. So if you're considering it, please think long and hard and do whats best for both of you, not just take the easy way out.xxxxx

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You're obviously taking the HSC far too seriously. Lighten up.

kittikat

HSC
man seriously i reakon its stupid to break up because of HSC ... to me im still currently in a relationship with my bf .. n we have been going out for 21 months n a half .. for me it is hard to see him in real life since everyday he got school meaning during weekend as well .. tutor to one another .. haha .. so i hardly see him .. its like i only c him 2 hours every fornight after school on a wednesday .. n dats it ^^ n we have not had an agruement .. hehe .. im not sort of chick get pissed or have pms .. hahaa .. im really an abnormal chick i swear .. im usually hypo and laugh my arse off n really gullible .. but if we both have a problem we both sort it out on the spot and joke around .. its a great feeling .. should try it .. and seriously i do feel like im stillliving in a single life .. since me n him do not have restriction .. we both do watevah we want as long we trust each other .. like looking through my friends relationship with their partners.. going to opposite sex party .. or hang out with an opposite sex .. n partners get pissed .. no need too .. there is no point to get pissed .. take that advice .. plus your partner wouldnt worry so much to do that since they might reakon u going to get pissed at her/him ..

Last edited:

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
ari89 said:
:'(...mutual seperation with plans to come back together after the hsc....yeah i wish it actually happened! *cries*
You know that it isn't going to help, right?

What are you gonna do for uni exams? They're pretty much the same as the HSC, twice a year. For many courses, failing means either getting left back a year or getting kicked out. So what then? Break up twice a year?

Just stay together and learn to have some self control.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
You people realise that post-hsc (not-uni) day to day life (like, not living with your parents n working full-time n shit) is more difficult and time consuming than being in year 12, right?
So you might as well decide to be alone FOREVER!! I mean, forever.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I don't see why people should break up for the HSC. If you're too difficult to be around during the HSC, then you're getting way too stressed and narky. And you should be able to manage your relationship around your workload or your workload around your relationship together, otherwise you shouldn't be dating.

It can get difficult if you're going out with someone from a year below or someone who's already left school who doesn't appreciate or understand when you need to work and that you can't go out all the time.

A relationship should be an outlet during a tough year.

Loza33

HSC
Well, I was recently on the otherside of the relationship... my boyfriend of 15 and a half months just did his HSC and I am in yr 11.... We talked about it a lot and he often says that i help him, i help keep his mind off the exams, i prevent him from getting too stressed or too caught up in them....

With the time thing we never had much of an issue, because our time has always been strained being at boarding school but then we also have to see each other at certain points... like breakfast, lunch and dinner and we always had our special 'just us' time after dinner and after lunch on weekends...

When he was going through the exams he was pretty clam and relaxed with it... but i was always there for him if he needed help or to chill and i was always happy to not be there if he needed space.. which wasnt very often lol!

We broke up two days ago though... He is going to Uni in Canberra (if he gets in) and I'm going into yr 12.. Everyone says about how if we love each other we can make it work.. but we had to think ahead.. if we make it work for the next year.. well great.. but then what? I am going overseas, for no idea how long and he will still be studying...

Basically.. i think that there is no need to break up for the HSC, all it will do is depress you and stop you studying... All of a sudden, you dont care anymore! But, the HSC is just a small thing compared to everything AFTER school, so what happens next year needs to be taken into consideration

And if you are dating someone who is younger, give them a shot... they might not understand about your exams and school work, but then again maybe thats a good thing.. you have all your friends, peers and teachers for that!

munchybuddy

HSC
skittished said:
What do you think about relationships during the hsc? break up? or...
Breaking up during the HSC is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.
if u luv the person y break up, im sure they will understand if u barely see them for 4 weeks while ur studying. u can make it up afetr exams r ova. but breaking up is plain silly

Evilo

HSC
From my experience i would say if you're in one - keep it going, but i wouldnt start one towards the end of year 12. 'Just staying friends' i reckon is fine. In the time between trials and HSC, 5 couples i knew broke up, with only 1 who stayed together. People get stressed and stuff. As long as both people understand that its a hard period and you can't spend 24/7 with each other then it should all go well.

I had a realtionship during that trial time and for me it was pretty stressful. I look at a mate who didnt get involved in any relationships for that whole time (all of year 12) and he cruised through it. I reckon he had a great year too because of it. He didnt need to worry about all the stuff that goes with relationships, and could just live a happy lifestyle. Hindesight - i should have stayed out of them (relationships), but feelings is a powerful thing.
Well thats just my thoughts anyway...

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Evilo said:
I had a realtionship during that trial time and for me it was pretty stressful. I look at a mate who didnt get involved in any relationships for that whole time (all of year 12) and he cruised through it. I reckon he had a great year too because of it. He didnt need to worry about all the stuff that goes with relationships, and could just live a happy lifestyle..
I think you can put that down to the type of people- people like your mate will probably cruise no matter what. You were probably going to be pretty stressed no matter what.
In fact, for most people, having a relationship is a way to stress LESS, because your partner can be a welcome break/relaxant from exams and whatnot. That's what I found, and that's what most of my friends found.

P.S It is not worth breaking up for the HSC because you will do so many more stressful and important things in your life. If you're going to break up for every one of them, what's the point?

Evilo

HSC
Josie said:
You were probably going to be pretty stressed no matter what.
Yup, fair call.
Josie said:
In fact, for most people, having a relationship is a way to stress LESS, because your partner can be a welcome break/relaxant from exams and whatnot. That's what I found, and that's what most of my friends found.
Some of the girls decided that they were not seeing enough of their bf when their trials had finished, but the boys hadn't finished theirs yet.
Josie said:
P.S <snip>
It was a bit more complex than what i said on net, not really going to go into specifics here lol sorry :p

pierrefectionx

HSC
i'd say dont break up.. maybe if one feels the need to have to study, then just put off seeing each other until its over but dont break up.. i mean u CAN still be in a relationship and not see each other right?

i guess it depends on how serious the two of you are.. but then everyones different..

but personally, i'd hate to break up with my boyfriend just because of the HSC... i hardly see him anyway so the HSC wont really make a difference for us, we just see each other less =)

Dramaqueen06

HSC
It really depends on what the circumstances are...
If it's love and serious, i'm sure your partner would know better than to fuck up study time etc... Just spend less time together.
Re-order your priorities for this year.

JulzMighty

HSC
starting a relationship less than a month before HSC

i reckon i'm gonna do it anyway, but some say it's unwise to ask someone out so close to the HSC. two of my mates are really encouraging it, bu they have no uni plans after school.

as much as my mind is mostly made up (alliteration... i had to say it), i'm curious as to the ideas, recommendations, and past experiences of others in regards to this.

btw i am aiming for a fairly high UAI -- 96-ish at Sydney. i'm starting to like the look of my backup-course (86-ish at UNSW) a lot more so that might be affecting my attitude towards this kind of thing.

julz

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Re: starting a relationship less than a month before HSC

a relationship isn't going to affect your marks this far into the year (or at any time for that matter). you're too far into it for that, any failure marks-wise on your part now would be due to your own lack of preparation rather than a girlfriend. i wouldn't worry.

if you're considering a long term relationship bear in mind that people change a lot after high school and you may never see some people again, your gf included, depending on what everyone does with their lives after school.

it's up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.

Legham

HSC

Do it, who cares. It's only school.

JulzMighty

HSC

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
a relationship isn't going to affect your marks this far into the year (or at any time for that matter). you're too far into it for that, any failure marks-wise on your part now would be due to your own lack of preparation rather than a girlfriend. i wouldn't worry.

if you're considering a long term relationship bear in mind that people change a lot after high school and you may never see some people again, your gf included, depending on what everyone does with their lives after school.

it's up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.
depends how u get marks -- i'm a lasts-minute crammer. if i sat any of my exams now i'd be lucky to get 2/3 of what i will be getting by exam time, provided i don't distract myself too much. at the moment i'm trying to make up for my lack of work earlier in the year. i've still been placing well, but i could do better.

Exphate said:
I suggest suicide.

No seriously.

You think that it matters that much.
my parents think i dont think it matters enough. different people have different views on relationships; i guess your post is indicative of yours. my relationships tend to be long and meaningful.

i've also heard some say now isn't a good time if it'll be a long relationship, coz when i waltz into uni and find a million (approximately) somewhat academic girls to choose from (not that my girl isn't going to uni, but she'll be going to a different one) i'd potentially rather be single.

Legham said:
Do it, who cares.
yeah exactly.

julz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)