Relative Difference, Ranks and Moderated Assessment Mark (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
oops, i meant paying out :p

Damn you reply so fast. I'm trying to post into everything you post just after you make a post to stalk you.

You got like 5 browsers open or something? :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
LOL!

Neh, I was postin' ages ago... and you post alot more and alot more quickly. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As someone else pointed out, you really need the marks of the entire class in order to guesstimate a student's moderated assessment mark.

The example from the official document is this:

<table border=1><tr><td>STUDENT<td>RAW ASS.<td>RANK<td>EXAM MARK<td>RANK<td>MOD. ASS.<td>RANK
<tr><td><center>A<td><center>90<td><center>1<td><center>92<td><center>1<td><center>92<td><center>1
<tr><td><center>B<td><center>70<td><center>2<td><center>65<td><center>2<td><center>67<td><center>2
<tr><td><center>C<td><center>65<td><center>3<td><center>60<td><center>3<td><center>59<td><center>3
<tr><td><center>D<td><center>60<td><center>4<td><center>55<td><center>4<td><center>52<td><center>4
<tr><td><center>E<td><center>55<td><center>5<td><center>35<td><center>6<td><center>43<td><center>5
<tr><td><center>F<td><center>50<td><center>6<td><center>41<td><center>5<td><center>35<td><center>6</table>
The initial raw assessments span 40 marks, and the exams span 51 marks. Obviously, the differences between students must increase if the range of the moderated assessments is to match the range of the exams. And indeed they do. The difference between students A and B is increased from 20 marks to 25. Similarly, the difference between students B and C is increased from 5 to 8. The relative differences between students have been 'approximately' maintained.

They're not always completely preserved (which is why we emphasise ranks), but the Board makes an effort to maintain them.

Jeo

Laz what if student F gets 95 instead of 41... what is their Moderated Assessment mark...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As the student is ranked last, their moderated assessment mark would probably not change. Whenever possible, the moderated assessment mark of the bottom student is set equal to the bottom exam mark.

MyLuv

It isn't fair right...That means a person who got bad marks in School will have the lowest mark and the 1st guy ,he'll get the highest even he scores the lowest...:mad1:
That really sucks:mad:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So Laz, For the relative difference of the moderated assessment mark to DECREASE (as oppose to an increase in your case), Does the span of the EXAM mark of the class/year doing the course must also DECEASE?
For example, in your case, the exam span is 51 marks, whereas the raw school assessment mark is 40, therefore, the relative difference between all the students are increased. So what I'm trying to say is, in your case, the exam span MUST be spread lower than 40 (lower than the raw assessment mark) so that the relative difference can also decrease?

Jeo

laz, is that the case with second last too.... or third last.... and has this happened in practice? or possible to happen

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by MyLuv
It isn't fair right...That means a person who got bad marks in School will have the lowest mark and the 1st guy ,he'll get the highest even he scores the lowest...:mad1:
That really sucks:mad:
No.

It means their moderated assessment mark - which is what replaces their school mark - will be low. This is entirely fair, because it is only replacing their already low school mark. Whatever they achieve in the exam will remain as their exam mark. Stop being so conspirative. :p

Originally posted by Survivor39
So what I'm trying to say is, in your case, the exam span MUST be spread lower than 40 (lower than the raw assessment mark) so that the relative difference can also decrease?
Yes.

Originally posted by Jesh
laz, is that the case with second last too.... or third last.... and has this happened in practice? or possible to happen
No. When the top exam mark is increased, students who are ranked second-last or third-last etc would be slightly pulled up. The amount by which they are pulled up depends on how close they are to the student ranked first (as that student would be pulled up the most). Yes, it happens in practise.

Jeo

laz that sux..... really.... can u predict my UAI

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus

Yes.
ok, so If I am coming second in a course, with a relative difference of 2 marks behind the first, the only way to surpass whoever came first in the HSC mark is depending on the span of the exam mark, and thus is out of my control?? even though if I can BEAT the top student by more than 2 marks in the Exam??
That's NOT FAIR

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No, that's not at all right. I've no idea how you came to that conclusion.

[Edit: Added explanation.]

In terms of moderated assessment marks, you can never surpass a student who is ranked above you. The rankings were fixed when your school sent their marks to the Board.

In terms of HSC marks, there are two criteria that need to be met in order to surpass a student who was ranked above you in their assessments:

1) Your exam mark must be higher than theirs.
2) The difference between your exam mark and their exam mark must be greater than the difference between your moderated assessment mark and their moderated assessment mark.

Satisfaction of these criteria will necessarily ensure that you receive a higher HSC mark. You essentially need to use your exam mark to compensate for any ground lost with your assessment mark.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So Laz, can you really tell me how many marks that I need to beat the top person by in the exam, before I can beat him/her in the Final HSC marks? (with a relative difference of 2 marks in the school assessment mark)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

In terms of moderated assessment marks, you can never surpass a student who is ranked above you. The rankings were fixed when your school sent their marks to the Board.
*cries*

In terms of HSC marks, there are two criteria that need to be met in order to surpass a student who was ranked above you in their assessments:

1) Your exam mark must be higher than theirs.
2) The difference between your exam mark and their exam mark must be greater than the difference between your moderated assessment mark and their moderated assessment mark.
I think I can satisfy criteria ONE.
For TWO, What if my exam marks are 3 marks higher than him/her, (not the moderated assessment mark), doesn't that implies the same thing as to Criteria TWO??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
For TWO, What if my exam marks are 3 marks higher than him/her, (not the moderated assessment mark), doesn't that implies the same thing as to Criteria TWO??
That will satisfy the second criterion only if their moderated assessment mark is less than 3 marks above yours. Whether or not that will be the case will depend on the range and mean of the exam marks.

The ultimate goal remains the same - do your best in the exam.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
That will satisfy the second criterion only if their moderated assessment mark is less than 3 marks above yours. Whether or not that will be the case will depend on the range and mean of the exam marks.
The ultimate goal remains the same - do your best in the exam.
Thanks Laz, But all that's in my mind is how to beat that ONE person that is ahead of me in the school assessment mark.
I guess Criteria TWO is AGAIN, out of my control *sighs* (even if I top the state in the exam)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I really don't see how you can think that it's out of your control...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
well, there's NOT MUCH I can do to my moderated assessment mark, as you said, it's up to the span and mean of the exam marks. Therefore, I am out of control...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)