Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

WonkaHead22

HSC
last_chance said:
By limited morals I think she means without religion people are proned to go out and do things that are morally wrong, such as sex b4 marriage. But thats only my thought.

oh noes!!!!!!!

HSC
last_chance said:
By limited morals I think she means without religion people are proned to go out and do things that are morally wrong, such as sex b4 marriage. But thats only my thought.
A perfectly reasonable statement, if we pretend that religious people have the monopoly on moral behaviour.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
lourai*87 said:
I tend to keep an open mind about it all. I have Christian friends and i have no problem with it until they start trying to shove their beliefs in your face and expecting you to adopt them. I dont believe that there can be one "right" religion, as may seem to claim, because everone's religion is right for them and i dont really feel anyone has the right to argue with what anyone else believes in.
interesting... obviously everyones religion is right for them,so there can be many 'right' religions... but there can only be one 'true' religion, can there not? truth is truth. even if you don't adhere to any 'religion' (i hate that word, its so constrictive) you surely cant deny the possibility (or fact) that there could be (or is) one true religion, which is telling the truth, and will in time be proven to be true.

opinions?

Generator

HSC
N/A
last_chance said:
Hmmm... Make sure that you read through ogmzergrush's post (quoted below):

ogmzergrush said:
A perfectly reasonable statement, if we pretend that religious people have the monopoly on moral behaviour.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
starbaaa said:
interesting... obviously everyones religion is right for them,so there can be many 'right' religions... but there can only be one 'true' religion, can there not? truth is truth. even if you don't adhere to any 'religion' (i hate that word, its so constrictive) you surely cant deny the possibility (or fact) that there could be (or is) one true religion, which is telling the truth, and will in time be proven to be true.

opinions?
Interesting also

It depends on whose perspective. For a muslim, their religion is the only truth, but for a christian theirs is and so on. And who can be 100% positive that theirs is the true one? Faith allows you to believe that it is, but everyone has doubts at some point. And until the time that it is proven, no-one can say straight out that they are right. That is why i cant put my faith in something that i cant support comepletely.

Generator

HSC
N/A
starbaaa said:

opinions?
Why can there only be one 'true' religion? Could it not be that there may well be a force that is beyond our comprehension, yet if that is so why must there only be one 'true' structure of belief?

Also, we all know that the truth is subjective, even though societal norms tend to suggest that certain absolute truths do exist (e.g., prices will rise, polititicians will philander, you, too, will get old...). I'm not suggesting that we are all right as such, but rather that we should all be open to ideas that challenge our own.

Last edited:

get_born

lourai*87 said:
Interesting also

It depends on whose perspective. For a muslim, their religion is the only truth, but for a christian theirs is and so on. And who can be 100% positive that theirs is the true one? Faith allows you to believe that it is, but everyone has doubts at some point. And until the time that it is proven, no-one can say straight out that they are right. That is why i cant put my faith in something that i cant support comepletely.
From the looks of it, for you to be saying this makes you in question. But you cannot say that because you might be "in doubt" others are to. I for one believe my religion is perfect and it does complete me. Everyone is in doubt at some point I agree, but most find an answer in the end to that so called doubt. Some choose to not believe, to free them from the worries of the world and relieve tham from life's resposibilities, others chose to believe and feel complete, while others are still roaming the Earth for answers.

Generator

HSC
N/A
last_chance said:
From the looks of it, for you to be saying this makes you in question. But you cannot say that because you might be "in doubt" others are to. I for one believe my religion is perfect and it does complete me. Everyone is in doubt at some point I agree, but most find an answer in the end to that so called doubt. Some choose to not believe, to free them from the worries of the world and relieve tham from life's resposibilities, others chose to believe and feel complete, while others are still roaming the Earth for answers.
Ah, the line in bold... It doesn't make much sense to me. Care to elaborate?

Last edited:
HSC
Generator said:
Doubt leads to thought, thought leads to opinion, opinion leads to the dark side :(

I think the point being made is that life is easy for ALL people who aren't religious, because we don't actually have to worry about doing the right thing. We are ALL completely irresponsible, and ALL go and do horrid things like sex before marriage, in a completely immoral and reprehensible way!

This of course is in contrast with ALL religious people, who always act with the interests of the entire world at heart, for the betterment of humankind as a whole. Such selflessness and wide acceptance of the differences of others, in both belief and action, is to be commended, in my opinion.

get_born

Generator said:
well, some people dont like to take responsibility in this life. They believe that with no religion they are free to do whatever thay want and with that live a guilt free life. But that is just an illusion they have created for themselves. But these are just my thoughts.

ogmzercrush what I want to say in a better way, I tend to beat around the bush sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
i hate religion. especially christianity.

it just seems like a reward/punishment system controlling our lives
they act good with the intention of gaining a ticket to heaven.
why not just act good for the sake of makeing our time on earth more enjoyable rather than doing it for the supposed afterlife?

Generator

HSC
N/A
last_chance said:
ogmzercrush what I want to say in a better way, I tend to beat around the bush sometimes.
Ah, ok. Try reading through ogmzergrush's post again, yet this time imagine that there is a :rolleyes: emoticon at the end of the post... Are you with me? If so, then I too agree with what he had to say. If not, then I can see that you are the one divorced from what we call reality.

HSC
last_chance said:
My point was simply that you seemed to be generalising, which doesn't really work. Some religious people like to have sex with children, and I certainly wouldn't presume to imply that all do. Similarly, not all non-religious people have no capacity for morally-driven, responsible behaviour.

get_born

im an idiot said:
i hate religion. especially christianity.

it just seems like a reward/punishment system controlling our lives
they act good with the intention of gaining a ticket to heaven.
why not just act good for the sake of makeing our time on earth more enjoyable rather than doing it for the supposed afterlife?
I totally disagree. You might think it is like that for you, but for others its not for 'the supposed afterlife'. With religion it is something that becomes part of your daily life, and helps t minimise society's problems... if only everyone followed the advice.
For eg. - dont take drugs because it can lead to crime.
- dont drink alcohol because its not good for you and can put you and others around you in dander.
- dont do sex b4 marriage because it may lead to a child and put his life in danger, no father, put up for adoption and so on

What I'm trying to say is life is a test. Everyone has desires and temptations they want to satisfy, but thats the test, we have to learn to control them. Put it this way some of us are so caught up in thinking about what we want and how we can get it and dont stop to thank god for everything they do have. I mean there are people out there who have nothing, wishing for just a crumb, while we sook all night long about dying out hair the wrong colour or missing out on an episode of the OC. When I think about it sometimes, I laugh and then ask myself imagine we had nothing, imagine the afterlife. That place is for eternity, and I for one dont wanna be in hell forever!!!!

By the way if anyone finds this over the top -- tell me -- but I just thought it would be a good reminder of what lies next.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
I totally disagree. You might think it is like that for you, but for others its not for 'the supposed afterlife'. With religion it is something that becomes part of your daily life, and helps t minimise society's problems... if only everyone followed the advice.
- dont drink alcohol because its not good for you and can put you and others around you in dander.
- dont do sex b4 marriage because it may lead to a child and put his life in danger, no father, put up for adoption and so on

What I'm trying to say is life is a test. Everyone has desires and temptations they want to satisfy, but thats the test, we have to learn to control them. Put it this way some of us are so caught up in thinking about what we want and how we can get it and dont stop to thank god for everything they do have. I mean there are people out there who have nothing, wishing for just a crumb, while we sook all night long about dying out hair the wrong colour or missing out on an episode of the OC. When I think about it sometimes, I laugh and then ask myself imagine we had nothing, imagine the afterlife. That place is for eternity, and I for one dont wanna be in hell forever!!!!

By the way if anyone finds this over the top -- tell me -- but I just thought it would be a good reminder of what lies next.

do you support abortion?

HSC
last_chance said:
With religion it is something that becomes part of your daily life, and helps t minimise society's problems... if only everyone followed the advice.
War for example, and religious dispute leading to people looking down on others because of their views. Religion, while I'm sure it does resolve some problems, is not a cure for all the world's troubles.

last_chance said:
That's more a common sense issue. As I said before, I'm not religious, and I don't drink, or take drugs. Sex before marriage is something that I don't have a problem with, providing it is undertaken in a sensible and responsible manner, and (Personally), I would only do this in a long term relationship. That said, it's an individual's decision as to when they will have sex, and not all sex outside marriage results in dead babies.

Also, I note that you have said "his life". In the interests of using non-discriminatory language, that should be "their life", or at least "his/her".

In addition, each point you've made relates to "danger". Walking outside your house also results in "danger". Perhaps religion should also condemn individuals leaving their homes.

last_chance said:
I don't thank god for anything I have, because I don't believe in a god. That said, I am grateful for what I do have, and do what I can to help others in return. I don't really see what this has to do with religion, apart from people thinking that they're doing the world a favour by saying prayers for people who are starving to death on the other side of the globe. To each their own, but no, being non-religious doesn't mean you are any less capable of helping others.

Also, the selfishness which you describe isn't limited to non-religious people, again you seem to be generalising.

last_chance said:
Not really up to me, if you're happy with what you believe then that's fine. What bothers me is the automatic assumption that those who do not believe are somehow less compassionate, moral, and responsible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)