Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

goliwog

HSC
trinity was never the message of the old testament=
Thats because the old testement is in fact the jewish scriptures not christian. However there are many illusions to a triun diety

"And God said Let US make man in OUR Image , after OUR likeness" gen 1:26

The nature of God was in fact held as a mystrery to the jews , it was revealed as Jehova to Moses at the burning bush but God was still somewhat of a mysterious God without a name although their are many other illusions... This was later made more clear in the christian scriptures or new testement.

you have to remember that half of the christian bible is the jewish bible.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
There's no compulsion, it's just that if you convert, they'll kill you. Your choice. :)
Always gotta look into the little details.....:)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
do me a favor and tell your parents to stop paying tax and see what happens

there used to be a lady in arncliffe teaching kids the quran- she was a coptic convert - had she arrived here- she would have been free to revert to copticism

why get the bright idea to teach the quran on a voluntary basis?

face it sm10, you hate muslims more than they hate you

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
do me a favor and tell your parents to stop paying tax and see what happens

there used to be a lady in arncliffe teaching kids the quran- she was a coptic convert - had she arrived here- she would have been free to revert to copticism

why get the bright idea to teach the quran on a voluntary basis?

face it sm10, you hate muslims more than they hate you

Starflower

HSC
I'm an atheist. Partly due to feeling extremely uncomfortable with most religions (especially Christianity), partly because it doesn't make sense, and partly because I think it's all bullshit.

robbie1

HSC
Starflower said:
I'm an atheist. Partly due to feeling extremely uncomfortable with most religions (especially Christianity), partly because it doesn't make sense, and partly because I think it's all bullshit.
What exactly makes you uncomfortable about Christianity?

It is a religion that emphasis love, mercy & forgiveness. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone lived according to these principles.

Maybe you are just scared away by the new wave of Fundamentalists...."crazy Bible Christians"....many people are.

Also, its not nice to call any religion "bullshit"....infact its very offensive - if you don't agree with a religion there are better ways to show it without offending anybody.

Starflower

HSC
robbie1 said:
What exactly makes you uncomfortable about Christianity?

It is a religion that emphasis love, mercy & forgiveness. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone lived according to these principles.

Maybe you are just scared away by the new wave of Fundamentalists...."crazy Bible Christians"....many people are.

Also, its not nice to call any religion "bullshit"....infact its very offensive - if you don't agree with a religion there are better ways to show it without offending anybody.
I don't care about offending people. *smiles sweetly*

Christianity makes me feel uncomfortable for so many reasons that it would take me a fucking age to list them all, so I'll list the main ones - the fact that women are ordered to be subservient to men, that they consider homosexuality to be immoral, that you aren't encouraged to think for yourself, and that it exhibits so many characteristics of a cult that it isn't funny.

And yes, fundies do scare the shit out of me. Though really, it was the school my parents forced me to go to for seven years that turned me off. Try going to a school where you're the only dissenter in four hundred students, especially one where EVERYONE from Kinder to Year 12 knows what you are because you were stupid enough to tell someone you thought you could trust, and maybe you'll think the same way I do.

And lastly - an emphasis on love, mercy and forgiveness? Don't make me laugh. Ever read the Old Testament?

I don't wish to start a religious war or get thwapped by the mods, so if you want to take this further then feel free to send me a private message.

bored6

HSC
Starflower said:
I don't care about offending people. *smiles sweetly*

Christianity makes me feel uncomfortable for so many reasons that it would take me a fucking age to list them all, so I'll list the main ones - the fact that women are ordered to be subservient to men, that they consider homosexuality to be immoral, that you aren't encouraged to think for yourself, and that it exhibits so many characteristics of a cult that it isn't funny.

And yes, fundies do scare the shit out of me. Though really, it was the school my parents forced me to go to for seven years that turned me off. Try going to a school where you're the only dissenter in four hundred students, especially one where EVERYONE from Kinder to Year 12 knows what you are because you were stupid enough to tell someone you thought you could trust, and maybe you'll think the same way I do.

And lastly - an emphasis on love, mercy and forgiveness? Don't make me laugh. Ever read the Old Testament?

I don't wish to start a religious war or get thwapped by the mods, so if you want to take this further then feel free to send me a private message.
Bingo!

findaway

HSC
Starflower said:
Christians are in existance because of the new testament. Just thought I'd point that out. And I don't take the Bible literally, so all that women subservidence and homosexuality stuff doesn't even matter to me. It was written for an audience that lived almost 2000 years ago. Just remember that.

I'm Christian, mainly because I was brought up Christian and it's the best way for me to worship God. But I have no problem with the others... I'll even convert if I like another one better. I see different religions as a different way to worship the same God, not as something that I could go to war over because I didn't like anothers attitude, or didn't like their God.

It's a flexible religion, because the one and only thing it says you have to do is believe in Jesus. That's it. The rest is guidelines, but it's really up to you. And you'd find that most Christians would want to live by these guidelines, because if you believe in Jesus then you have a relationship with him, you love him and you want to make him happy. Same as any good relationship.

Sorry if I scared anyone off with that!:p

robbie1

HSC
ogmzergrush - that is by far the most disgusting and offensive thing I have ever laid my eyes upon. So now you're sitting there patting yourself on the back whispering "mission accomplished."

It's sad that you have to reach such a low to get a point across, it really is. However, you won't be getting any retaliation from me if thats what your waiting for. You need help my friend.

Obviosuly I know nothing about you, but my guess is that you listen to heavy metal and were raised as a Christian by your parents. Something happened that made you angry with God so you had a little hissy fit and said "oi big man, im not gonna believe in you anymore, take that!!!"

I hope one day you are sorry for what you have done, and obviosuly I hope its while you are still here rather then when it is too late and your fate is sealed. I will pray for you and all those like you even more fervently from now on.

Starflower - I am curios to find out what exactly bothers you about the Old Testament (it's also interesting how critics of the Bible always ignore the New Testament....it does not suit their agenda it seems). So I will be creating a thread on the Bible where I will answer any questions anyone has about the Old or New Testament.

Look for the thread maybe by Friday.

Just another thing, I never would of thought that the most offensive image I would see of Christ would be on the Bored of Studies forum. It was quite a shock. I would expect to see such a thing on Marilyn Manson's t-shirt......

Last edited:
HSC
robbie1 said:
ogmzergrush - that is by far the most disgusting and offensive thing I have ever laid my eyes upon. So now you're sitting there patting yourself on the back whispering "mission accomplished."
Nah, it just amuses me, I was hoping maybe you'd see the funnies too. If not, eh, your loss.

robbie1 said:
It's sad that you have to reach such a low to get a point across, it really is. However, you won't be getting any retaliation from me if thats what your waiting for. You need help my friend.
I don't recall having a point, and I don't recall us being friends.

robbie1 said:
Obviosuly I know nothing about you, but my guess is that you listen to heavy metal and were raised as a Christian by your parents. Something happened that made you angry with God so you had a little hissy fit and said "oi big man, im not gonna believe in you anymore, take that!!!"
You should have stopped after the "Obviously I know nothing about you" bit, because that was the only part that was accurate. My household was, and continues to be, largely apathetic towards all religions, however I'll stoop every now and then for a laugh at the expense of people who get so incredibly uptight about it. This is where you come in.
robbie1 said:
I hope one day you are sorry for what you have done, and obviosuly I hope its while you are still here rather then when it is too late and your fate is sealed. I will pray for you and all those like you even more fervently from now on.
See, I'm not the only one that jokes around, now you're getting it!

robbie1 said:
Just another thing, I never would of thought that the most offensive image I would see of Christ would be on the Bored of Studies forum. It was quite a shock. I would expect to see such a thing on Marilyn Manson's t-shirt......
If we put our minds to it, I'm sure we could find something much worse. I posted that because it's pretty tame, and makes me laugh. If I was attempting to offend you, I assure you it would have been something a step up from that.

misanthrope

HSC
I agree very much with Starflower on the topic of religion.

As far as criticisms of the New Testament go, trust me there are more than a few.
There's the fact that the four Gospels contradict each other on more than one occasion:

John 12:32 claims Jesus will draw all men to him yet Matthew 20:16 says many will be called but few will be chosen

Also compare:

Mark 7:10 "For Moses said honour thy father and thy mother"

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple"

For those who claim that the Old Testament and its contradictions are not relevant to Christianity as Jesus rewrote the old laws:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil" - Matthew 5:17-18

Also in the spirit of the thread, I am an atheist/Satanist. They are the same thing. Satanism is a philosophy, an extension of objectivist and existential theory. We believe in neither God nor the devil, only human nature, it is not devil-worship.

In case you're wondering, Luciferanism is the term for true devil-worship. Luciferans believe that the material world is owned by Lucifer and that the human soul is incorruptible provided you believe in God. By extension, it is Lucifer you should be keeping happy during your time on Earth, as God is all-forgiving while the devil is the vengeful and jealous type.

Sorry if this comes accross rather strong, but religion both worries and annoys me.

WSSM

HSC
Islam,

simply because its a faith that satisfies my curiosity about life, it guides me to the staright path and its a complete way of life, but what's sad is that its misunderstood today.

aussiechica7

HSC
Christianity. Historical evidence for Jesus. Innate sense of some sort of belief in "God". Enormous amount of "Godly" things done in Jesus' Name by Christians. The bad stuff done in Jesus' Name by Christians easily shown to be contrary to Biblical teaching. Dignity, honour and respect of human life whilst still referring to our "fallen nature" (i.e. view of man is IMO realistic, but with hope). Good marriage of physical to spiritual- not obsessed with one thing at the expense of the other. Thousands of years of persecution and it remains strong. Miracles that cannot (yet?) be explained by science. Thousands of years of skepticism and testing, and it remains strong- intelligent people continue to believe in it. Testimonies of so many people I've met coming to Jesus and changing around for the better. Sense of community/family from shared beliefs (not a reason, but a nice side-effect).

X

xeuyrawp

misanthrope said:
I agree very much with Starflower on the topic of religion.

As far as criticisms of the New Testament go, trust me there are more than a few.
There's the fact that the four Gospels contradict each other on more than one occasion:
So you think that a religion could be wrong simply because texts about it are wrong?

Also in the spirit of the thread, I am an atheist/Satanist. They are the same thing.
Theism is the belief that there is a theos - a god. If you are a Satanist, you believe that Satan exist. If you believe that Satan exists, you are a theist and not an athiest.

Satanism is a philosophy, an extension of objectivist and existential theory. We believe in neither God nor the devil, only human nature, it is not devil-worship.
Then why name your -ism after Satan, an early godly protagonist of the Abrahamic theological tradition?

Do you really believe this, or are you just some kid with a lot of built up frustration directed at the world? .

Basic thesis of 'Church of Satanism':
1. We're really cool,
2. pentagrams shapes are really cool,
3. <insert lots="" of="" stupid="" books,="" eg="" anton="" lavey="" s="" emo="" trash="">.
4. LOL!

In case you're wondering, Luciferanism is the term for true devil-worship.
No, that would be Satanism. Lucifer is another protagonist of the Bible. The character also existed as a pagan symbol for the morning star.

In later times, dimwits like yourself confused the two characters: 'Since there's only one good (God), there must be one evil (Lucifer-Satan)!' :rolleyes:

For some unknown reason, Anton LaVey and his loser followers created the 'official' Satanism. Well I suppose nothing counts unless it's copyrighted. =/

Luciferans believe that the material world is owned by Lucifer and that the human soul is incorruptible provided you believe in God. By extension, it is Lucifer you should be keeping happy during your time on Earth, as God is all-forgiving while the devil is the vengeful and jealous type.
I have no idea where you get this, because I've never heard of a Luciferan. Source, please.

Sorry if this comes accross rather strong, but religion both worries and annoys me.
Easy to understand, you seem a little... er... :sleep:

Have you tried reading the Bible? Even read summaries on Wikipedia - I'm being 100% serious, they're quite good.
</insert>

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Theism is the belief that there is a theos - a god. If you are a Satanist, you believe that Satan exist. If you believe that Satan exists, you are a theist and not an athiest.
Probably pedantry, I'd agree with your suggestion that this dude is a clown, but what you're discussing is theistic satanism. Not all people who identify themselves as 'satanists' believe in Satan in a literal sense, and atheism and satanism are compatible in that regard. Unless of course you count "I am my own god" and what-not as true theism.

PwarYuex said:
Basic thesis of 'Church of Satanism':
1. We're really cool,
2. pentagrams shapes are really cool,
3. <insert lots="" of="" stupid="" books,="" eg="" anton="" lavey="" s="" emo="" trash="">.
4. LOL!
To be fair, there are a lot of religions around which have equally stupid books and are equally as amusing.

(Onlookers, do not mistake me for a satanist, please :santa:)

Edit: Regarding the recommended reading, this is my favourite: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/ . Entertaining at very least.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)