Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Buddhism is not a religion is my eyes as it is not a theistic oriented philosophy.

Religion is derived from the Latin ‘religio’ which means a bond. A bond that is extant in Christianity, or other theistic religions, but not, to my eyes, in Buddhism.

In Buddhism there is not, as in most other religions, an Almighty God to be obeyed and feared. The Buddha does not believe in a cosmic potentate, omniscient and omnipresent. In Buddhism there are no divine revelations or divine messengers. A Buddhist is, therefore, not subservient to any higher supernatural power which controls his destinies and which arbitrarily rewards and punishes. Since Buddhists do not believe in revelations of a divine being Buddhism does not claim the monopoly of truth and does not condemn any other religion. But Buddhism recognizes the infinite latent possibilities of man and teaches that man can gain deliverance from suffering by his own efforts independent of divine help or mediating priests.

Buddhism cannot, therefore, strictly be called a religion because it is neither a system of faith and worship, nor "the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or gods having power over their own destiny to whom obedience, service, and honor are due."

If, by religion, is meant "a teaching which takes a view of life that is more than superficial, a teaching which looks into life and not merely at it, a teaching which furnishes men with a guide to conduct that is in accord with this its in-look, a teaching which enables those who give it heed to face life with fortitude and death with serenity,"[6] or a system to get rid of the ills of life, then it is certainly a religion of religions.
Source: http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm

Islam = Allah. Buddhism = No big guy in charge.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah ok
but islam is still a way of life
its not only a religon its got laws and customs and practices for every day living

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
To me, Buddhism is a religion aswell as a way of life......'A rounded life leads to the path of spiritual enlightment'.....I appreciate the way that Buddhism is so conservative and non-disrespectful to any other religion....For me it has brought meaning into life because it is a way of life.....

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
oh well sin and no morals is a good enuf life for me which has is the opposite of orthodox judaism. As with the Israel-Palestine thing I wouldnt wanna live there just coz my ancestors settled on it when they escaped the Egyptians, neways its pretty shitty and desert there and i would rather live on the other side of the world. I have no problems with other religions they are of deep importance to a persons spiritual and physical well-being.

But personally, for me thats not my bag...

So ill continue to eat pork, drink, swear, suck dick, smoke, take pills, skinny dip thats my religion honey. Peace.

firehose

HSC
in essence all religions are a "way of life" coz they all involve customs and traditions.. just some do more than others

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Only those who are close-minded and arrogant will agree that there is one and only one "right" religion/belief... And unfortunately the majority of the population are close-minded.. You will only blind yourself if you embrace self-righteousness.. Needless to say more..

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
I was never debating that fact. Because I have bread, does that mean I have butter as well? Think about it.
um..i dont get it
but ok

and i also dont get michochindria

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
mitochondria said:
Only those who are close-minded and arrogant will agree that there is one and only one "right" religion/belief... And unfortunately the majority of the population are close-minded.. You will only blind yourself if you embrace self-righteousness.. Needless to say more..

=) ......too right

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
GirlGoneMad said:
Well, you have your own beliefs, right? And your beliefs are what you believe to be the truth. So how can you truly believe in your own beliefs, and yet say that someone elses different beliefs are true as well?
That's what close-minded means....not looking at other religions and not accepting them as well.....I may be Buddhist but many concepts of Christianity, Islam and Scientology I still believe is morally correct...it's not a matter of what is true or not but rather how it changes a person....Even if you don't 'believe' or agree with the practices of a religion it doesn't mean you should disregard it as a minority or as untrue...
it's like saying what you're wearing is better than what another person is wearing...but you forget that they've grown up differently from you, maybe from a different culture or have a different background from you...that still doesn't give you the right to say what they're wearing is wrong and that there is only one way of wearing something......this is the same concept when it comes to beliefs and religions...

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
christianity was never a cult- they were jews who started to hold different beliefs about god and heaven
it also depends on what branch of christianity your talking about

the desciples were divided on whether or not gentiles should convert to judaism before being allowed to practice christianity or not.

these guys like PETER and most of the desciples were called judeo-christians. this i would call a sect of judaism- they followed most of the jewish rituals

guys like paul followed a different form of christianity called Pauline-christianity which was more lienient to gentiles - notably the Greeks and Romans. Paul wanted to abandon the jewish rituals because he saw them as old fashioned.

Judeo christianity is still being followed in places like Eithiopia a few other places. I think the people there have jewish ancestry , but im not sure about that. :)

tim05

HSC
Each sect of each religion is totally different in some way...

I will not put in an official vote as I would not like to put myself into a generic category of Christianity.

Nomad

Nescient said:
athiest=believes in no greater being

so i dont believe in any god... i dont believe there is a greater power that created all...
if u dont blieve in god as the creator of all life, do you believe in the theory of evolution?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
tim05 said:
Each sect of each religion is totally different in some way...

I will not put in an official vote as I would not like to put myself into a generic category of Christianity.
you've got me curious there - if you don't mind my asking, please elaborate :)what sub-category of christianity do you see yourself in?

the two main groups are catholics and protestants; i'm protestant (seventh-day adventist to be specific)

Last edited:

xoxrhixox

HSC
Asquithian said:
I cant believe people live their lives according to a man written book and perceive it to be truth of the highest order.

Actually the bible is man written BUT God told these men what to write. its Gods letter in a way for us to all read.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
I'd like to see a non "man written book".

All religious books are written through humans. The Koran was written by Mohammad (well, he didnt actually write it, we recited it).

The Bible was written by humans, I believe that because it has a source from MANY humans that it makes it credible. Over a thousand years of scripture, and many authors, and it all points towards the same cause.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
M-turkey said:
I'd like to see a non "man written book".

All religious books are written through humans. The Koran was written by Mohammad (well, he didnt actually write it, we recited it).

The Bible was written by humans, I believe that because it has a source from MANY humans that it makes it credible. Over a thousand years of scripture, and many authors, and it all points towards the same cause.
well how would u expect god to write it..and deliver it..?
how else but through a human..maybe a prophet and messenger of God?.
im talking about mohammed
angel gabriel would recite the verse of the koran and mohammed would repeat it..then it was stored in his memory forever..
and mohammed who was illeterate would recite it and his companions would write it
its the words of god..how else cna a book by god be delivered..?
how else will people know its the word of god
its obvious enough to the people when an angel approached mohammed..etc
im so over this thread

HotShot

-_-
HSC
basically they can be nothing wrong in believing in god. Even if god doesnt exist, but the thing is what if he does, wouldnt it be better to the take chance just in case. Although there is some sort evidence that god exists, there is also evidence that he doesnt. so just believe in god and if he exists then great otherwise you lose nothing.

When i mention god, i mean your religion becuase i would be discriminating some reliogion and that is not good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)