Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
LaCe said:
Paul's then... Wesley though have dominated though in the Rawson Cup but Paul's are doing well this year i hear. But if i decide to go to Usyd i'll apply for Drew's, Paul's, and Wesley.

But i am still really torn between UNSW and Usyd. Can anyone help me out on this front?
if you're a cricketer you'll want to come to drews, our team's full of country players and we've done well this year, just a few injuries let us down.

let me tell you something about pauls - it's all very north shore. "god, i've had to go home to turramurra four times this week, i mean there are only so many pink ralph lauren polos you can fit in your VW golf, you know?" there are some really nice guys (and about two hot ones) but for the most part it's full of funboy wankers who prey on horny women's chicks. if you went to an all-boys school and that's your bag, then go for it. but if you're more of a blokey bloke or if you get on with chicks pretty well, drews or wesley is probably more your thing. i'd say johns as well, they're all top sorts, but sport isn't their thing. they've won the rawson once, ever.

i know a lot of bad shit gets passed around about the drews seniority system. as a drews fresher i can tell you it's not like they abuse us, or leave us chained naked to lampposts in avalon with one eyebrow shaved off. you don't have to participate in any of the rituals if you don't want to but it gives you an amazing bond with other freshers, and also makes you feel so connected to the college culture. plus, every year is a different experience, fr year is different to soph year etc, rather than just being another year.

as for unis, drew's is the only usyd college (apart from skancta) that accepts residents from other unis. we have a few dozen UTS students and i think two from nsw. can i just add, i was talking to (read: tuning) a guy who went to a college at uNSW, as well as his mates who did too, and they all said new south colleges are nothing like sydney ones. have you seen national lampoon's animal house? it is seriously like that sometimes. i have had the most awesome year. apply to drew's even if you decide on unsw. wherever you end up, two weeks in and you'll wonder why you applied anywhere else.

btw, jugs - i can't believe we're still on here. scoping out the freshers...

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
YAY finally i thought you guys didnt exist!
so what can you tell me about it, anything really the website is crap lol
- i heard the inside is nasty, but i dont think drews looks that great on the inside either, what are the rooms like?
- and ppl keep saying that the going coed "didnt work" whatever that means
- do you guys have good parties etc? my friend from wesley says that she thinks Johns isolate themselves from the rest of the colleges, but im not sure she knows what shes talking about
- anytips for doing well in my interview?

honestly any information at all would be great, good and bad im basically 100% that Johns is my choice
im actually really excited and will die if i dont get into college i hate being at home dumbest decision i ever made not to apply last year.

thanks again
i'm a fresher chick from drews but i'm mates with johns ppl and i've spent some time there so i promise to be honest with you.

so to be honest, in terms of spirit there's not a lot of difference between drews and johnnies. both coed, both with religious and anglo-celtic affiliations (drews presbyterian/scottish, johns irish/catholic). the two cols used to not get along well but this year it's changed heaps, we're just down the road from each other and we've got lots of good mates there, i work with a couple of the guys. the little differences aren't important, but i'll mention them: drews can be a lot more insular, our parties and informals tend to be mostly drews people plus ppl from other colleges with mates here, whereas stuff like johns informal was a huge party with thirsty merc playing. (the pain there is that a lot of the freshers have to spend weeks selling tickets and most of the night serving behind the bars etc as far as i could tell.) but if sport is your thing, unless it's netball the johns' girls aren't really into it. drews won the girls' tennis and the softball, just missed out on the netball, and if we do well in athos we might have a shot at the rosebowl.

as for the inside - the rooms at john's i've seen are pretty small, and some are rooooly ugly. even a third-year's room i've seen is about the same size as mine at drew's, but with a lower ceiling! admittedly the rooms in thyne (one building at drews, bloody hideous) aren't as pretty as the ones in main, but it's such a party atmosphere down there. as for the decor, darling, it's all a matter of personal taste.

i wouldn't write drew's off. as a fresher chick, i can say i expected a lot more testosterone around the place but the girls are definitely here to stay. i think drews has adapted to co-residency a bit better than johns. but that said i don't live at johns, so i couldn't tell you for sure. what i can tell you for sure is that wherever you end up, you will have an awesome time.

shes_jinxed

HSC
thanks heaps everything has been really helpful
its not that ive written drews off its just that my marks arent that great and i have two friends that are freshers there already so its kinda their thing, i really want this to be my own experience if that makes any sense at all
every drews person i have spoken to has blasted johns, saying that choppers are morons and that i should only apply if its my absolute last option - thanks for being impartial
from what i can tell its really only as good as you make it
i just hope ive got a chance at getting in
the only thing that stresses me is how everyone keeps saying that the coed didnt turn out as well as drews, ive been to drews a couple of times and all the guys seem really nice and look after the girls - its not like that at johns? becuase i went to an all girls boarding school lol so living with guys is going to be a little different
one last question - im already at uni so ill be a second year and a fresher, i know its not a big deal because heaps of ppl from 04' will be starting uni, but will i be the only one in actual second year courses and if the hierachy is as everyone says it is wont that suck?
anyway sorry for the random questions
thanks

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
welshi said:
if you're a cricketer you'll want to come to drews, our team's full of country players and we've done well this year, just a few injuries let us down.

let me tell you something about pauls - it's all very north shore. "god, i've had to go home to turramurra four times this week, i mean there are only so many pink ralph lauren polos you can fit in your VW golf, you know?" there are some really nice guys (and about two hot ones) but for the most part it's full of funboy wankers who prey on horny women's chicks. if you went to an all-boys school and that's your bag, then go for it. but if you're more of a blokey bloke or if you get on with chicks pretty well, drews or wesley is probably more your thing. i'd say johns as well, they're all top sorts, but sport isn't their thing. they've won the rawson once, ever.

i know a lot of bad shit gets passed around about the drews seniority system. as a drews fresher i can tell you it's not like they abuse us, or leave us chained naked to lampposts in avalon with one eyebrow shaved off. you don't have to participate in any of the rituals if you don't want to but it gives you an amazing bond with other freshers, and also makes you feel so connected to the college culture. plus, every year is a different experience, fr year is different to soph year etc, rather than just being another year.

as for unis, drew's is the only usyd college (apart from skancta) that accepts residents from other unis. we have a few dozen UTS students and i think two from nsw. can i just add, i was talking to (read: tuning) a guy who went to a college at uNSW, as well as his mates who did too, and they all said new south colleges are nothing like sydney ones. have you seen national lampoon's animal house? it is seriously like that sometimes. i have had the most awesome year. apply to drew's even if you decide on unsw. wherever you end up, two weeks in and you'll wonder why you applied anywhere else.

Yeah like i do come from an all boys school and found it really good, but that isnt a concern with colleges like Drews and Wesley look good to me.

Its no about internal sport and doing well in the Rawson cup, and I know that Usyd colleges own unsw ones but i guess its about the unis that really count cause if i was to find my own place aftera year or two then choosing the uni based on the colleges would be a waste.

shes_jinxed

HSC
LaCe said:
Yeah like i do come from an all boys school and found it really good, but that isnt a concern with colleges like Drews and Wesley look good to me.

Its no about internal sport and doing well in the Rawson cup, and I know that Usyd colleges own unsw ones but i guess its about the unis that really count cause if i was to find my own place aftera year or two then choosing the uni based on the colleges would be a waste.
your right you should pick based on the uni...... but when it boils down to it im pretty sure that you cant go wrong b/w usyd and unsw, just depends on what you want to do which is the uni for you
i find at usyd its a mixed bag some subjects ive got the best lectures in the world and others i would happily gnaw my own arm off to get out of
the other day my friends and i were talking and they had all just done a survey on why they had chosen sydney and they all answered "sandstone and grass" basically cause it looks pretty and has the reputation, im pretty sure your going to get a good education where ever you go as long as you work at it, its just the extras that help you decide

boomalaka

HSC
melbournian said:
Historically Paul's is shit too. But why does history matter? You aren't living at college in 1955 or 1985 but 2005
Just for clarification, Paul's wasn't exactly shit. I keep hearing how Drew's have won it more than everybody else combined, but that doesn't mean a great deal when the choppers have won it once and Wesley three times before their run began.
STill, not questioning your dominance, just that you say Paul's were shit.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
your right you should pick based on the uni...... but when it boils down to it im pretty sure that you cant go wrong b/w usyd and unsw, just depends on what you want to do which is the uni for you
i find at usyd its a mixed bag some subjects ive got the best lectures in the world and others i would happily gnaw my own arm off to get out of
the other day my friends and i were talking and they had all just done a survey on why they had chosen sydney and they all answered "sandstone and grass" basically cause it looks pretty and has the reputation, im pretty sure your going to get a good education where ever you go as long as you work at it, its just the extras that help you decide
Yeah that is exactly it, the little things because both are very much the same interms of everything really.

I thought more "international students" (asians) went to Usyd as it carries more ppl (i think...) and the campus at Usyd is just massive.

Well doesnt matter, i still have no idea, ive been swaying between both but i still dont know. I think it'll come down to a snap decision in the end or seeing where a few friends go, but most of my friends are actually going to either so it'll be harder to decide.

Thanks a lot "she jinxed"
Helped me a lot, gave me a bit of an insight into the unis.

walrusbear

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
YAY finally i thought you guys didnt exist!
so what can you tell me about it, anything really the website is crap lol
- i heard the inside is nasty, but i dont think drews looks that great on the inside either, what are the rooms like?
- and ppl keep saying that the going coed "didnt work" whatever that means
- do you guys have good parties etc? my friend from wesley says that she thinks Johns isolate themselves from the rest of the colleges, but im not sure she knows what shes talking about
- anytips for doing well in my interview?

honestly any information at all would be great, good and bad im basically 100% that Johns is my choice
im actually really excited and will die if i dont get into college i hate being at home dumbest decision i ever made not to apply last year.

thanks again
thing about colleges is that people end up loving whatever one they go to and say unreasonable things about the others :p

from what i can tell Johns is no more 'isolationist' than any other place.
i also have no idea what going co-ed 'didn't work' means. the place is nearing the end of the transition period with the introduction of girls and a lot of the sillier traditions (eg. emphasis on hierarchy) is disappearing.
we're gradually doing better at sports as the years go on. in the last two years we've won three sporting events. (and remember, st johns is by far the smallest college). being small helps however, because you can get to know everyone (everyone that you'd care to anyway :p)
the rooms are not fantastic, but they're no worse than andrews or sancta etc. the st pauls rooms are a lot nicer but i'm guessing you won't be going there :p
the dormitory rooms inside johns are by no means as grand as its outside (though again, you'll find it's the same case with andrews and wesley). however, we have a great dining hall and chapel. the inside is very nice in that half of the college.
we party just as hard, if not harder, than other colleges. i think saying that any one college isolates itself is silly, because these opinions are always dependent on who you encounter in your own experience. i could just as easily say that wesley isolate themselves because i don't know many students.

college, in general, is quite rewarding if you get involved with everything and just have fun. and st johns is certainly no exception

as for the interview, i'm no expert :p
being a girl 'may' help, though i think that is a less of a case these days. just go about it like any other interview i'd say. i was interviewed by the rector who is a very nice guy, so don't feel too intimidated.

good luck!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
every drews person i have spoken to has blasted johns, saying that choppers are morons and that i should only apply if its my absolute last option - thanks for being impartial
i'm at uni at une and our college gets called choppers by our rival... however we call them stroppers - just wondering if johns ppl call drews people stroppers or if thats just an armidale thing
and anyone have any idea where the chopper thing came from?? i've never heard it before i went to college

walrusbear

HSC
choppers are catholics
an old name

i've been told a few times why that's the case but i've forgotten once again sorry :p

shes_jinxed

HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i'm at uni at une and our college gets called choppers by our rival... however we call them stroppers - just wondering if johns ppl call drews people stroppers or if thats just an armidale thing
and anyone have any idea where the chopper thing came from?? i've never heard it before i went to college
chopper is a catholic and johns is catholic

about that... Im baptised catholic but thats about it i basically only go to mass when there is a family funeral, christening or 1st communion
this isnt going to hurt my chances of getting in or anything is it? and will i even be asked in the interview?

walrusbear

HSC
it shouldn't

you might get asked, but it won't affect your chances

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
welshi said:

Look who it is......

boomalaka

HSC
walrusbear said:
choppers are catholics
an old name

i've been told a few times why that's the case but i've forgotten once again sorry :p
Choppers comes from rock choppers. It refers to the Irish convicts who came over here and their job was to smash rocks for clearing.
Believe it or not, but I get a fair amount of stick for being catholic.

jessied

HSC
I got into Sancta (for next year).. All I have to do now is get into usyd..

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
jessied said:
I got into Sancta (for next year).. All I have to do now is get into usyd..
haha cool,
I wasnt even going to consider Paul's cause ive been in a all boys school for 5 years and it jsut didnt interest me but then when i heard that Sancta was next to Paul's .....:D haha jks

But Paul's does look like a good college

walrusbear

HSC
LaCe said:
haha cool,
I wasnt even going to consider Paul's cause ive been in a all boys school for 5 years and it jsut didnt interest me but then when i heard that Sancta was next to Paul's .....:D haha jks

But Paul's does look like a good college
pauls is a good college except that it's single sex

after years of single sex high school i'd die in that environment

shes_jinxed

HSC
walrusbear said:
pauls is a good college except that it's single sex

after years of single sex high school i'd die in that environment
me too,
you would have to pay me to go to sancta or womens after 14 years in an all girls school and then boarding

i def decided on Johns, now i just want to get all this over with so i know for sure if i can get in, but i have to go back to school to get references and take a tour...
oh and actually finish the application form

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
shes_jinxed said:
me too,
you would have to pay me to go to sancta or womens after 14 years in an all girls school and then boarding

i def decided on Johns, now i just want to get all this over with so i know for sure if i can get in, but i have to go back to school to get references and take a tour...
oh and actually finish the application form
Yeah
I actually enjoyed my school, like seriously i realised if we had girls at the school, we would get soo little work done.

But yeah its about the environment, and it was a good one at school but i dont think itn would be as effective at uni level where there are soooo many ppl, whereas at school, its just a close-knit community (kinda)

Im thinking Drews and Wesley but UNSW as a uni looks really good so i may just stay at new or Baxter for a year then find my own place but we'll see.

I still have no idea of what Usyd life is like?

Some please tell me!

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)