Not open for further replies.

*hopeful*

HSC
it is the 19th ay....pfft cbf caring, its all over n done wit

b *hopeful* every1 !

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
If you paid your unit fees then decided to drop a unit, it takes them at least a month before they refund your money. Happened to me last year. That's at least $2 in interest.

Also I heard this from somewhere, but most people fail at least one unit during their time at university, and since Macquarie is stingy with marks, this is probably more prevalent at Macquarie.
Really?

*sigh*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes, really.

Which part where you asking about - the first paragraph or the second paragraph?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
flyin' said:
Also I heard this from somewhere, but most people fail at least one unit during their time at university, and since Macquarie is stingy with marks, this is probably more prevalent at Macquarie.
That doesnt surprise me... thats why I'm fine with my failure because it was only a first year, first semester subject, and I didnt fail by much to begin with.

How do you mean stingy with marks? As in they mark hard, or because of scaling, or am I way off?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Macquarie don't give out as many high grades (ie. HD, D, Cr) as most other relatively large universities in NSW.

For comparisons purposes, take a look at (scroll down):
- UNSW: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/GuideToUNSWGrades.html
- Macquarie: http://www.aifsabroad.com/ays/sydney/academic.htm

Just compare the averages.

Edit -
Macquarie University v UNSW
HD/D: 12% v 30%
Cr: 24% v 30%

The closest thing you could call it is "scaling". How hard they mark an exam doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
oi are employers aware of those statistics? Because that is a significant difference
wow so on average 60% of the candidature at nsw doin a particular course will get a credit or higher...that sux :(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Rofl, i plan to beat those odds! :D
I think I'd be ROFLing as well, if I wasn't studying at Macquarie. =p
Supra said:
oi are employers aware of those statistics? Because that is a significant difference
wow so on average 60% of the candidature at nsw doin a particular course will get a credit or higher...that sux
Maybe but unlikely.

Well, it's not always 60% (it just so happened to be in 2003), it changes every year but not significantly.

Can anyone speculate why they chose not to increase HECs fees at Macquarie? ;)

You know how half the people who post in UNSW exam results threads have like high 80s and low 90s for most of their subjects? You ain't going to see that much (if at all) come 19th. Maybe 1 or 2.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Good luck with your results guys! We get ours on the 20th. Last uni as usual :p

HSC
N/A
Ah...

So, our HECS fees are lower, but we have to work harder.

Fair deal, I guess... so long as I pass!

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Ah...

So, our HECS fees are lower, but we have to work harder.

Fair deal, I guess... so long as I pass!
you became a mod??? gold suits u

^___^
HSC
well

lets think of it this way

in MQ, if your gpa is 3.00 + (apart from the actuarials :p ), thats a pretty impressive gpa within the MQ community and its rare to have ppl with high credit gpa even
whereas if you look at unsw, theres heaps of ppl lurking in the distinction wam area.. :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
... said:
in MQ, if your gpa is 3.00 + (apart from the actuarials :p ), thats a pretty impressive gpa within the MQ community and its rare to have ppl with high credit gpa even
whereas if you look at unsw, theres heaps of ppl lurking in the distinction wam area.. :p
Cyan's on 4.00. He's non-actuarial.

Aside, if you were an employer, who'd you pick: someone with a Credit average or someone with a Distinction average? Subsequent employer problem: do you pick someone from your own university or another one with the same grades, personality, etc?

Also Macquarie doesn't use WAM because the SNG grades makes Weighted Averages stupid.

^___^
HSC
flyin':
i know a few ICS people with gpa of 4.0 as well, but having said that..how many of them are out there? :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Aside: what looks better? GPA (3.5 out of 4) or (6.25 out of 7)

I know a few actuaries with GPA 4. It's not fair. I study my socks off and still can't get Ds in ACST.

I don't know anyone doing Law with GPA 4. But I also don't know anyone who has ever failed a Law unit.

^___^
HSC
3.5/4 looks better imo :p

but then, you gotta explain why it is out of 4 instead of 5
which then leads to telling them HD == D in gpa value
if you are gonna explain that, you might as well give those statistics about MQ's distribution of Ds/HDs !!!

*scores*
*pulls shirt over his head and starts running around*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
*Yellow Card* (misses next interview) =p

Actually, I doubt they'd ask about the GPA. And it's out of 7 (not 5) for the other universities.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
fornstar said:
i thought it was a little early, because i can still change what units im doing
Yeah...but they just send one for the early birds.

Unless you're loaded, I say defer. Use the money for more important things, like a holiday...or funding some kind of illegal habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)