S1 2017 Exam results waiting/discussion thread (MQ) (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Don't understand why people want to do pointless easy units. Why not just pick relevant or fun units ? smh
Because some people need GPA.

Not that it's necessarily the best way to fish for GPA. But it works.

HSC
N/A
Guys i got my maths result, I got 93 in the final, so 95 overall for math132. I deleted my post before cause I thought it might've been a little cocky. I can't believe I got a HD
May I ask if the Final was a 2 or 3 hr exam? I just found out I have an overall 96 in Math235, it was a 2 hr exam (worth 40%) and so they cut all the Gnarly Qs from the days of yore, and of course it's easier to do well. I can honestly say (apart from Physics exams) last years Math135 3 hr exam from Semester 1 was the hardest i've faced yet, I'd be interested to see what you think of it (if you have time). Congratulations though, good grades are good for the ego and actually motivate me to then re-look at content I didn't quite get or prep for future Units. Content and Understanding is the goal (if you're not money motivated ;) )

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
May I ask if the Final was a 2 or 3 hr exam? I just found out I have an overall 96 in Math235, it was a 2 hr exam (worth 40%) and so they cut all the Gnarly Qs from the days of yore, and of course it's easier to do well. I can honestly say (apart from Physics exams) last years Math135 3 hr exam from Semester 1 was the hardest i've faced yet, I'd be interested to see what you think of it (if you have time). Congratulations though, good grades are good for the ego and actually motivate me to then re-look at content I didn't quite get or prep for future Units. Content and Understanding is the goal (if you're not money motivated ;) )
The exam was two hours but if you had done all of your tut q/assignment q and understood everything it was fine. I had a look and tbh it looks pretty easy. Some of it you might think are difficult upon inspection but it's not that bad and you have 3 hours. I think the main difference between math132 and math 135 is that in 132 you do more theory like the definition of a limit and various proofs, whereas in 135 you just do the questions. But just as a disclaimer, I don't actually think I'm that good at maths I just enjoy doing it/learning about it. Like I found the concept and resulting proofs of supremums and infimums very cool and then how thats built upon to develop Riemann integration and then how that approximation can be used to find the actual integral when the supremum of the lower sum is equivalent to the infimum of the upper sum. I'm rambling tho...

Unfortunately I only do math133 next sem then that's all the maths for my degree :(

Thinking about doing a postgrad tho

Tbh I wouldnt really worry about money. Happiness and wellbeing is key, but mind you getting 80k+ for a grad salary, know some people who started at 100k+super after doing a 4 year acst course @ mq. But I think once you enter the workforce, you learn how fortunate you are to be able to study and have the opportunities to do what you do. I have the utmost respect for people in hospitality, tradies etc. they are hard jobs which often dont pay much at all. Like 50-60 hours a week is roughly 60k for a fully qualified chef. I'm just happy with my 400 bucks a week from weekend work to pay the bills. Any real money is a long waaaaay off :)

On another note, I was talking to a professor and as a general rule, 2 hour exams are pretty easy (given you've done all the work etc), but 3 hour exams+ give you the extra time because they require you to think and assess stuff in different ways. For example a lot of the maths paper was very similar to assignments/tut questions, meanwhile my acst152 (introduction to actuarial) was a bit more difficult because you had to sit there and think for a few minutes.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
The exam was two hours but if you had done all of your tut q/assignment q and understood everything it was fine. I had a look and tbh it looks pretty easy. Some of it you might think are difficult upon inspection but it's not that bad and you have 3 hours. I think the main difference between math132 and math 135 is that in 132 you do more theory like the definition of a limit and various proofs, whereas in 135 you just do the questions. But just as a disclaimer, I don't actually think I'm that good at maths I just enjoy doing it/learning about it. Like I found the concept and resulting proofs of supremums and infimums very cool and then how thats built upon to develop Riemann integration and then how that approximation can be used to find the actual integral when the supremum of the lower sum is equivalent to the infimum of the upper sum. I'm rambling tho...

Unfortunately I only do math133 next sem then that's all the maths for my degree :(

Thinking about doing a postgrad tho

Tbh I wouldnt really worry about money. Happiness and wellbeing is key, but mind you getting 80k+ for a grad salary, know some people who started at 100k+super after doing a 4 year acst course @ mq. But I think once you enter the workforce, you learn how fortunate you are to be able to study and have the opportunities to do what you do. I have the utmost respect for people in hospitality, tradies etc. they are hard jobs which often dont pay much at all. Like 50-60 hours a week is roughly 60k for a fully qualified chef. I'm just happy with my 400 bucks a week from weekend work to pay the bills. Any real money is a long waaaaay off :)

On another note, I was talking to a professor and as a general rule, 2 hour exams are pretty easy (given you've done all the work etc), but 3 hour exams+ give you the extra time because they require you to think and assess stuff in different ways. For example a lot of the maths paper was very similar to assignments/tut questions, meanwhile my acst152 (introduction to actuarial) was a bit more difficult because you had to sit there and think for a few minutes.
I'm a little unsure you read the emphasis in my post accurately?

Re - 3 / 2 hr exams, you and the Professor have correctly regurgitated what I have experienced with the new 2 hr Math format. However, not only is there less content examined, but also the 'extension' or traditional Section B questions are dropped almost completely. The 3 hr exam info is completely misleading ; if anyone has ever done a Math or Phys 3 hour exam they will be well aware there is no "extra time", i'm surprised this Professor feels this way. Seems like they may be a little out of touch with what it is like to learn new content and then be extended in interpreting it in exam conditions.

Anyway, congrats again. If you haven't already been emailed, I'm sure you will be invited to enrol in Math 188 or 288 and these are very interesting tasters of the post-grad world, so could be a good option if you think you may be inclined to explore that direction one day.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Because some people need GPA.

Not that it's necessarily the best way to fish for GPA. But it works.
Plus if people don't like any of the options they may as well boost their gpa

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I know. I've been telling everyone at work I've only got 2 classes left, so I'd really appreciate the universe being on my side and going along with that :lol:

mrstripedshades

HSC
keen and nervous for tomorrow.
realistic hopes are:
Stat150 - HD
Finance 1A - D
Accg100 - C
Macroeconomics - C/low D

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Good luck everyone, I know you've all worked hard :)

I personally am hoping for the distinction range, but it's really hard to predict.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok guys mine are out:

ACST152 - introduction to Actuarial Studies

Predicted 75 got 83 (D)

ECON110 - Macroeconomic principles

Predicted 85 got 85 (HD)

STAT171 - Statistical data analysis

Predicted 90 got 85 (HD)

MATH132 - Mathematics 1A (Advanced)

Predicted 95 got 95 (HD)

Very happy with acst cause I was hoping for a D cause I got 56% in the mid sem (not good). Econ v happy i scraped HD and I thought it would be marginal. Stat I did poorly in the final exam but I had a v good average and maths was what I expected.

So overall WAM is 87%

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations! Those are great marks for your first semester. You deserve them! :)

Duckdog

HSC
Hoooo boy I fucked up

ISYS104-C
MAS110-C
ACCG100-C
COMP115-F

Comp115 is one of my core and it will only available next year sem 1. This is going to set me back a whole semester. :/

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Comp115 should be available over summer as well.

Don't freak out completely. You should still be able to do some isys units and take electives in the mean time.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Ok guys mine are out:

ACST152 - introduction to Actuarial Studies

Predicted 75 got 83 (D)

ECON110 - Macroeconomic principles

Predicted 85 got 85 (HD)

STAT171 - Statistical data analysis

Predicted 90 got 85 (HD)

MATH132 - Mathematics 1A (Advanced)

Predicted 95 got 95 (HD)

Very happy with acst cause I was hoping for a D cause I got 56% in the mid sem (not good). Econ v happy i scraped HD cause there is a cash prize mmm and I thought it would be marginal. Stat I did poorly in the final exam but I had a v good average and maths was what I expected.

So overall WAM is 87%
Cash prize for econ110?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)