Schapelle Corby - Innocent or Gulity? (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

Corby victim of smugglers ring: lawyers
06:04 AEDT Thu Mar 17 2005

Accused drug smuggler Schapelle Corby was unknowingly used as a "mule" by organised interstate drug smugglers, her legal team said on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old Gold Coast beauty therapy student faces the death penalty if found guilty of the crime in a Bali court.

Gold Coast businessman Ron Bakir, who heads mobile phone empire Crazy Ron's and has come to the aid of Corby, said a man had come forward signing an affidavit naming three baggage handlers responsible for planting the drugs.

"The drugs were put into her bag without her knowledge, were supposed to be pulled out in Sydney and they were missed," Mr Bakir said.

Instead, the 4.1kg of cannabis travelled on to Bali, where it was discovered in Corby's boogie board bag at Bali's Denpasar Airport last October.

Ms Corby's lawyers on Wednesday night gave the ABC's 7.30 Report a summary of the evidence in the statement.

"A man whom we are not in a position to name has come forward and offered information by way of a sworn statement to the effect that he is aware of persons involved in domestic drug trafficking between Brisbane and Sydney," it said.

"Moreover, he is aware that these same persons, whom he has named, were responsible for planting 4.1kg of marijuana into Schapelle Corby's boogie board bag unbeknownst to her.

"The figurehead of this domestic drug trafficking ring is currently incarcerated for drug matters."

Mr Bakir said the unnamed man had offered the information to Corby's legal team with the message: "If I don't do this my conscience will haunt me."

He had also promised to testify in court on Corby's behalf.

Corby's Australian lawyer, Robin Tampoe, said the student was just one of a number of victims targeted by the gang.

Mr Bakir said the affidavit had been sent to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Foreign Minister Alexander Downer on Wednesday.

Mr Bakir and criminal lawyer Robin Tampoe flew to Bali last month to meet Corby after complaining the federal government had not done enough to help her.

Speaking on behalf of Corby's legal team, Mr Bakir said the source and associates had been trying to make contact with the AFP over the past two or three months, to no avail, and had telephone recordings to prove their attempts.

A spokesman for Mr Downer's office said the affidavit was forwarded to the AFP because it dealt with crime within Australia.

Corby was not yet aware of Wednesday's developments, although one of her family members had been informed, he said.

Her lawyers were expected to seek an adjournment in her case if the trial resumes, as scheduled, on Thursday.

They hope to lodge the statement after the adjournment, which could be sometime later next week.

Mr Bakir and Corby's Indonesian lawyer, who arrived in Australia on Wednesday ahead of the developments, will return to Bali next Tuesday.

Nikearashaei

HSC
Well capital punishment is a moral issue and what not but yeah this chick is going to be made an example of to act as a general detterance to international drug smugglers and who ever. but yeah i think she is going to be shot.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
how could anybody possibley think killing this woman can be justifyed?! even if it was her marijuana (which i doubt, because of the circumstances) she shouldnt be killed for that! its ridiculous!

i just dont understand (for the ppl who think she is guilty) WHY she would bother smuggling such a small amount of the stuff over there...(obviosuly KNOWING what the penalty is) when...a) its not enough to make any serious cash off and b)...recreational use isnt worth being caught and killed.

shes either VERy stupid, or she has been set up...i feel really sorr yfor her and her family...what a horrible thing to happen

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
jezzmo I love how you say you don't trust the media too easily..... the media is only telling your what her lawyers told the media. If you don't believe it is true, you should be saying you don't trust lawyers.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i dont care whether she is guilty or not . i dont think that the punishment fits the crime esp when places like bali allow people to get off for terrorism.

K

katie_tully

Unless the media in question is NW...all that celeb gossip has to be 100% true.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lmao... australia has some of the best customs in the world?
Australian customs is weak lol
Compared to indonesia

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
katie_tully said:
She has the benefit of my doubt. I seriously can't imagine a seasoned traveller to this area would be so stupid as to try and smuggle drugs.
If she wanted drugs for recreational purposes instead of selling them, you wouldn't take the drugs with you, considering the cheap retail price.

We can't compare this girl to the actions of the Bali bombers. Their actions were motivated and created the deaths of over 200 people - they're guilty.

Schapelle Corby? Guilty, I don't believe so. If she is convicted, we a sentencing to death an innocent woman. If she is guilty, and is convicted, I think she should be sent back to Australia to face our judicial system, considering the drugs were supposedly planted IN Australia.

This is the whole problem with the death penalty. There have been cases when even Forensics have failed to identify the correct person, therefore leading to the death of an innocent man. It's only ever sometime after the execution that the mistake has been realised. This day in age I don't believe we need to execute. I find it has flaws and that it is considered the "easy way" out for somebody who's murdered another person in cold blood.
Yes, i guess prison is far worse then death, and the US spend something like $1million on each executed prisoner, i think there are much cheaper ways, pm

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I deem Schapelle Corby to be guilty of being ugly.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ziff said:
I deem Schapelle Corby to be guilty of being ugly.
That's almost as harsh as her predicament.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I agree. I hate it when non-dark haired people go dye their hair black. It really gives me the shits. My black hair is sacred and not something that can be replicated.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Riewe said:
I am in two minds in this case. On one side, the testimony of Corby is somewhat convincing, because it is very possible that anything she said could be lost in translation, and that the customs officers didn't understand her properly at the time. And there are two pieces of evidence missing that is crucial. One is a supposed security tape of when she opened her bag, whoch may prove her side of the story. And the second piece is the difference in the wieght of her bag when she arrived in Bali. If it can be shown that her bag was lighter in Australia than it was in Bali, then she couldn't have put the cannibas in, but if the weights are the same, then she put it in there. This last piece is the one i most want to hear, and until then, i am keeping an open mind.
im with you on this one.
Plus, where the hell is her motive? like it's been said, she wouldnt make a profit sp why would she do somethime so stupid. Not that it's not stupid to let your luggage out of your sight, and not notice the extra weight.

K

katie_tully

For fucks sake.
If you'd been following the story, you'd know she never picked up the bag herself. She loaded it into the conveyer belt, and when she went to collect it, officials had already siezed the bag.
No wonder people think she's guilty when you say, "wouldn't you notice 4kg of pot". No shit sherlock, of course you would. If you'd noticed the 4kg, and pulled it out at the airport, you'd still be in the same shit as she is, because you'd still have to prove you didn't put the pot there in the first place.

djmattyd

HSC
I think she is innocent. I feel so sorry for her. If I was Alexander Downer, I'd be struggling to stay out of the case. No wait, I'd have already called up the Indonesian authorities and be trying to get her out of there.

Sometimes life sucks. That poor girl. I don't think she'll be convicted, and I hope that she isn't.

gosh

i think shes guilty. How could you not realise having a 4kg bag of drugs in your bag in place of a boogie board? And when she was on trial, she didnt seem to take it seriously. Why would you laugh when begging for your life?!?!
GUILTY!

djmattyd

HSC
You'd laugh because if you didn't laugh, you'd be crying.

I read her plea, and you'd have to be stupid not to realise the consequences of what doing something like that.

Her father is dying, she is probably so upset, and the Indonesian government have her held in another country. I think that poor girl is going through enough, I don't think she would have any desire to be shot by firing squad as well.

She certainly sounds innocent to me.

Last edited:

djmattyd

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
OMG SHE DOESn'T LOOK LIKE A DRUG BARRON!
Innocent! INNOCENT! OF COURSE!!
Haha

I realised the weakness of that argument, so I changed it...lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)