School Netbooks are here! (1 Viewer)

Would you want one of the School Lenovo s10e Netbooks?

• Yes

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Most of BOS people would probably never read or write in their life if it wasn't for computers and laptops.
You are a retard for even suggesting that and worse you yet you actually seem to believe it.

And anybody for whom that is true is in a sad state indeed - I pity them.

Bemboka

HSC
Cant perform programs with executable files unless allowed. BIOS is locked, HDD is having security nuts placed instead of normal X-screws, basically thing is locked out and the only people who can access it is the FULLTIME IT Technician being hired for every school.
Nothing a bit of brute force won't fix XD

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Nothing a bit of brute force won't fix XD
Whats the point, with the amount of effort and money put into it, you could get a decent second hand laptop.

The netbooks the school's are handing out are only built for websurfing and to a lesser, more lolworthy extent, multimedia. Accept it as it is and dont fuck with something you were given.

Sprangler

HSC

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Please explain.
People who use insults just shows that they don't know shit!

Netbooks will help students to actually enjoy reading and writing. It encourages more students to do it. It is a tool that definately makes it more convenient and more accessible to information. How on earth is it useless?

The laptop aims to assist students to learn literacies etc.. why would they need a beasty laptop anyways. There is just the problem of too much software packed into the small device.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I am sure you could manage to get the HDD out somehow, and if you could, all you have to do is put it in a desktop with a compatible cable, format, install e.t.c on there, and your are sweet

Sprangler

HSC
Read your original post.

Most of BOS people would probably never read or write in their life if it wasn't for computers and laptops.
What you said: Most people on BoS did not read or write until they got access to computers and laptops.

People who use insults just shows that they don't know shit!
I didn't insult you.

Netbooks will help students to actually enjoy reading and writing. It encourages more students to do it. It is a tool that definately makes it more convenient and more accessible to information. How on earth is it useless?
Provide evidence to show that computers help and encourage people to enjoy reading and writing.

The laptop aims to assist students to learn literacies etc.. why would they need a beasty laptop anyways. There is just the problem of too much software packed into the small device.
How are laptops more effective than books and traditional literacy teaching methods, at helping students to become more literate?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I am sure you could manage to get the HDD out somehow, and if you could, all you have to do is put it in a desktop with a compatible cable, format, install e.t.c on there, and your are sweet
Not without cosmetically destroying it, and if you do manage it, the school will take it off them for mistreatment.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
What you said: Most people on BoS did not read or write until they got access to computers and laptops.
It's called an exaggeration. Do you want me to spell it out to you?

Provide evidence to show that computers help and encourage people to enjoy reading and writing.
There is a reason why so many people all over the world who uses computers today. It is called the information age. You can communicate and connect with people instantaneously across the world. It is a bridge between many people and website that would not have been accessible without a computer.

Computer skill is a new form of literacies in today's education, besides reading and writing. If you want to read up on it find the book called "Literacies for learning". I know because I am currently studying teaching.

How are laptops more effective than books and traditional literacy teaching methods, at helping students to become more literate?
Simply put. It is more engaging to encourage more students or possibly all students to actually learning the literacies. It may or may not be more effective but it is important to help the ones that need it the most.

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
We should all be given gaming laptops imo. Would equal less suicides during HSC period, as students would have something to look forward too, and the nerds could be tempted during the Post-trial period to play games thus relieving competition within NSW. :)

Sprangler

HSC
It's called an exaggeration. Do you want me to spell it out to you?
As much as I don't want to tediously argue this stupid quote anymore, I will anyway.

That is not an exaggeration, that is a retarded and completely untrue direct statement.

There is a reason why so many people all over the world who uses computers today. It is called the information age. You can communicate and connect with people instantaneously across the world. It is a bridge between many people and website that would not have been accessible without a computer.

Computer skill is a new form of literacies in today's education, besides reading and writing. If you want to read up on it find the book called "Literacies for learning". I know because I am currently studying teaching.
I know all this. It still does not tell me why or how new technologies help and encourage people to enjoy reading and writing. How are websites, and communicating with people across the globe, more effective at teaching people literacy, than books and traditional teaching methods?

Simply put. It is more engaging to encourage more students or possibly all students to actually learning the literacies. It may or may not be more effective but it is important to help the ones that need it the most.
This is only a little less retarded than that other quote. "Learning the literacies?" Wtf?

ForbiddenND

HSC
lol why the hell do they want to give year 9 laptops when all the dropouts are still there...... they will probably sell it for cig and alcy money :p The government should use their head for once and give it to year 11s or uni students

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
That is not an exaggeration, that is a retarded and completely untrue direct statement.
Beleive it or not, it is your choice buddy...there are many groups that perform below the state literacy benchmark levels.

How are websites, and communicating with people across the globe, more effective at teaching people literacy, than books and traditional teaching methods?
I am not gonna do a five page research write up and bind it for your pleasure...It's called books are boring as balls...information communication technologies are interactive, engaging, direct, iterative and accessible. My point is (look here) the laptops are more engaging, it encourage more students to develop literacy skills. It doesn't matter if books are more effective. If the bottom 15% of students don't even pick it up or jig class to avoid doing it is epic fail.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The atom 1.6 is great, 1gig ram is fine for a netbook.

Back in my day, we ran a 25MHz intel 486, with 8mb of ram, and we were damn impressed.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I think spec wise they are fine it is the stupid restrictions that are been placed against them that are dumb.

I think that the whole idea of a free netbook for highschool kids is stupid they should be for uni students who are actually going to use them.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
even with those low-end specs i wont have much fun running CATIA or MATLAB or other technical computing software.
would suit more the arts student and MS Word.

Bemboka

HSC
The atom 1.6 is great, 1gig ram is fine for a netbook.

Back in my day, we ran a 25MHz intel 486, with 8mb of ram, and we were damn impressed.
You were also running windows 95...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)