Self-learning or tutoring? (1 Viewer)

jazzbaby

HSC
never had a tutor before so i dont know which is better..
but wouldnt mind having one for motivation etc ...but i wouldnt want someone that will just spoonfeed me..as in basically do assignments for u ..i like doing things for myself.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
fly-away said:
A lot?! Wow i have always thought a majority of people go tutor, leaving very few succeeding purely with self-study. Maybe it's because everyone i know besides a couple of people and myself or tutored.

Self-study does seem like a heavy heavy load of work and thinking though =='
different people learn differently i guess, some people dont needs tutors because they can just pick up concepts like that and store them away in their brains for a long time without having to revise. Others need constant revision. It all depends on the individual.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
-may-cat- said:
different people learn differently i guess, some people dont needs tutors because they can just pick up concepts like that and store them away in their brains for a long time without having to revise. Others need constant revision. It all depends on the individual.
Actually, lots of people who have that ability have tutors because their school teaches too slowly and they would much rather get ahead than wait.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Continuum said:
Actually, lots of people who have that ability have tutors because their school teaches too slowly and they would much rather get ahead than wait.
ok, im not saying that thats the only reason why people have tutors, the point im trying to make is that people have them for all different reasons

karnage

HSC
Self learning for me. Tutor's dont seem to help me much other than give me extra work.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Yeah that is true, but that is the thing, some people feel that if they are able to force themselves to learn themselves (and try to be ahead of others) it is better, because it requires more thinking and hardwork and therefore make it easier for them to get through Higher education (uni) where independence is required.

.. i hope i made sense.

smushieex

HSC
It depends on the student. Some students may require a tutor to keep up with the work (or even stay ahead). Whilst others are perfectly fine learning by themselves without the need for a tutor. Personally, I like self-learning more since it feels much more rewarding to know that it's all your hard work. You wouldn't feel the need to give credit to a tutor for being able to do well. And yes, I do have a tutor but I don't think it helps much at all. I felt much better doing good in exams with purely just my hard work.
& I'm not saying that you won't feel successful if you did well in exams with the help of a tutor. It's just the way I feel.

oh, and I hate it when my friends think that it's impossible to do well without a tutor. It's like they've become so heavily reliant on a tutor that they can't give themselves credit for the work they put in.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
My friend got a UAI of 99.85 without a second of tutoring. However, he did put it in a good 5 hours of study a day, except on Fridays.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
smushieex said:
It depends on the student. Some students may require a tutor to keep up with the work (or even stay ahead). Whilst others are perfectly fine learning by themselves without the need for a tutor. Personally, I like self-learning more since it feels much more rewarding to know that it's all your hard work. You wouldn't feel the need to give credit to a tutor for being able to do well. And yes, I do have a tutor but I don't think it helps much at all. I felt much better doing good in exams with purely just my hard work.
& I'm not saying that you won't feel successful if you did well in exams with the help of a tutor. It's just the way I feel.

oh, and I hate it when my friends think that it's impossible to do well without a tutor. It's like they've become so heavily reliant on a tutor that they can't give themselves credit for the work they put in.
exactly

Chosta

Sydney
HSC
In Summary...If you can sit there and study on a friday night for 2 hours reading, then you will do fine self learning. Others (who like to procrastinate, bit lazy, or last-second assignments), then you should consider a tutor.

Tutors are there to help YOU. If they give your busywork/homework, and you think its a waste of time, then don't do it. Tutors dont hold the power, you do. You tell them what you want to learn, rather expecting them to know what to teach you. It makes tutoring more efficient and easier.

Really comes down to whether you willing to pay the tutoring fee. Everyone wants a tutor, but not everyone is willing to pay what is needed for tutoring.

Definition of 'expensive': Cost of product/service is higher than the worth gained.

PS. Make a group of ppl for a subject, arrange a tutor to pop by and drill them with questions and tips and advice. 3pplX$20 for 2hrs = Worth it.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Boxes said:
My friend got a UAI of 99.85 without a second of tutoring. However, he did put it in a good 5 hours of study a day, except on Fridays.
Whoa, that sounds like hardcore work! Was that just in year 12 or most of his school life?! O_O

Yeah, self-learn definitely makes you feel better because you know it is your own work that you have learnt yourself.

Besides saving money and feeling good about yourself LOL what other advantages are there to a person who self-learns?

Sorry for so many questions?! =='

Sharkeh

HSC
Having tried both tutoring AND self learning, I can honestly say that they both have pros and cons

With tutoring, there is a safety net of sorts. You know that your likely to be learning the correct stuff, because your tutor teaches you. However, as is previously mentioned in this post, you can become too dependant on the tutor, and that can affect your ability to do well later on

Self teaching, however, is a tricky and difficult process. Currently I am engaged in a Distance Education course, and I can tell you from personal experience, it is tough. I have the material to learn, but actually learning it proves a difficult process - You need a lot of self determination.
But if you master it, and you learn the material yourself, it's an awesome feeling

As a side note, I do reasonably well in school. Average 80+

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
it is good for certain subjects.

ie. maths, physics, etc.

because by the time your class gets to a particular subject,
your tutor would of already (hopefully) gone through it with you.

besides, self-learning is more cheaper
hehe.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Honestly, you learn more if you do self-learning because you come up with your own tricks and ways of remembering things that work for you - be it pictures, poems or whatever.

There is no one I know that learnt their German vocab the way I did (making weird connections with English and so on).

With tutoring, apart from outlaying heaps of money, everything is being handed to you on a plate. Yes, it's easier and it may help you pass that exam in the short term (and if that is all you are aiming for, then fine) but to get that learning in deep, you MUST do self-learning anyway. Otherwise, it is short-term learning and is soon lost.

School is a training arena for Uni which is a training arena for life, where you need to learn that info and retain it and use it everyday. You want your doctor to retain everything they learn in case something tricky comes up during an operation and then they know what to do, rather than think, gee, I crammed that but it's gone now.

Learn to self-learn now and you are streaks ahead!

nrs1990

HSC
I've never had a tutor and I'm doing fairly well. I don't study more than my tutored friends to make up for it. (In fact, judging by the way they spend lunch times studying in the leadup to exams, I probably study less.) I don't think my marks would have been improved by tutoring.

The problem I see with tutoring is that my friends seem to get stuck studying what their tutor tells them to study, rather than what they're actually struggling with and need to spend the time on. In addition, tutoring seems to take away from the time spent on assessment tasks; and I remember, in the past, tutoring took away from the time they spent doing the homework our teachers set.

If I need help with something I don't understand, my teachers are always happy to help. I don't need to go to someone outside school for that assistance. Beyond that, I like having my study time free to work on what I feel is important for me, rather than being directed by a tutor.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Yeah, i find that when i try to work out a question by myself and get it right, i tend to remember it the next time i do a question like it.

I think i might not get a tutor for the meanwhile. It's too expensive for me to afford at the moment =/ The ones i have heard are $20-30 for around 1.5 hours.

I have heard quite a few stories of people doing very well (HSC uai marks) without tutors and beign educated at schools ranked up to 500. Okay i'm convinced now that it's all up to the individual! Guess i have to self learn and listen in class more carefully then ;)

monesh

HSC
fly-away said:
Hi to all, i'd like to know your opinions (=

Just a few questions to all,
Do you think self-learning is better than tutoring? Or the other way around? And why (=

Do you think that self-learning will allow a person to do better?

And, do you go to tutor and how well do you do?

>> May i also ask if anyone has done very well for their HSC without a tutor at all? How much work did you have to put in?
whateva floats ur boat...go with it.

blakblupink

HSC
if you tutored for many subjects, say english, math, chemistry, physics,
wouldnt that take at least 2x4 = 8hrs of time..
i guess its worth it if ur tutor's good

and many people tell me that most of the people who get 100UAI dont do any tutoring, just self study.
is that possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)