Self-learning or tutoring? (1 Viewer)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Actually, I was reflecting on this again tonight.

Another thing that can really help you learn is to tutor others!

I know I did really well in Maths (apart from the fact I loved it) because I tutored practically the entire second Ext 1 (3 Unit class) in the common room because their teacher spent the entire class just yelling at them and telling them they were useless.

Study groups are also good - working together to get answers and share info. Synergy really does work. And you see how other people think. I got through Uni that way (and my best friend got 1st Class Honours because her study partner was the Uni Medal winner!).

fly-away

HSC
N/A
blakblupink said:
if you tutored for many subjects, say english, math, chemistry, physics,
wouldnt that take at least 2x4 = 8hrs of time..
i guess its worth it if ur tutor's good

and many people tell me that most of the people who get 100UAI dont do any tutoring, just self study.
is that possible?
That sounds expensive O_O
Yeah, a really good tutor comes by then i might consider :)

And about how the majority of people who got 100UAI don't tutor, i must agree. Maybe it is just by chance that the people who i know got high UAI don't tutor. But that's the thing i am questioning.. is it possible like that to get 100UAI and not go tutor while competing against all these other people who DO go tutor. -___-

fly-away

HSC
N/A
alcalder said:
Actually, I was reflecting on this again tonight.

Another thing that can really help you learn is to tutor others!

I know I did really well in Maths (apart from the fact I loved it) because I tutored practically the entire second Ext 1 (3 Unit class) in the common room because their teacher spent the entire class just yelling at them and telling them they were useless.

Study groups are also good - working together to get answers and share info. Synergy really does work. And you see how other people think. I got through Uni that way (and my best friend got 1st Class Honours because her study partner was the Uni Medal winner!).
OOh that sounds like a good idea!
Hmm, maybe it does help, because i find it that when a classmate asks me a question i learn more because there is more discussion on why one's answer is wrong or right.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Okay, i probably sound very repetitive, but lately i have been feeling obliged to get a tutor for good. Not because i'm doing terribly in school, but i want to accelerate in my studies.

Everyone has a tutor these days, and i honestly mean everyone with the one or two exceptions. I'm rather worried that i won't be able to keep up with senior years coming up. I mean if i am doing 3u maths, how am i suppose to keep up? Is it even possible to self-learn everything and be better than everyone?

I don't want anymore answers of doing 'both,' because i know if i DO get a tutor i would still try to learn myself. The problem is that being able to learn by yourself with no direct help is so satisfying when you get something but then it requires a lot of work, including precious time, because you have to figure everything out yourself.

My question is, would paying for a tutor be worth it for the senior years (HSC)? Or should i stick to doing everything myself?

Sorry about the blabbing on, but i would really appreciate honest opinions?

nrs1990

HSC
fly-away said:
Okay, i probably sound very repetitive, but lately i have been feeling obliged to get a tutor for good. Not because i'm doing terribly in school, but i want to accelerate in my studies.

Everyone has a tutor these days, and i honestly mean everyone with the one or two exceptions. I'm rather worried that i won't be able to keep up with senior years coming up. I mean if i am doing 3u maths, how am i suppose to keep up? Is it even possible to self-learn everything and be better than everyone?

I don't want anymore answers of doing 'both,' because i know if i DO get a tutor i would still try to learn myself. The problem is that being able to learn by yourself with no direct help is so satisfying when you get something but then it requires a lot of work, including precious time, because you have to figure everything out yourself.

My question is, would paying for a tutor be worth it for the senior years (HSC)? Or should i stick to doing everything myself?

Sorry about the blabbing on, but i would really appreciate honest opinions?
Remember that if you don't get a tutor, you won't be doing it yourself. You'll still have your teachers. If they're not good... well, that can be annoying. But if you have good teachers, they will teach you what you need to know. If you get stuck, you can go to them to ask for help. I know that mine have always been really good about answering my questions, and helping me understand things I don't get.

Tutors working ahead with you isn't always a good thing -- because teachers will only examine you on what you've been taught in class. Working ahead on stuff that isn't going to be examined could potentially detract from studying what's actually in the test.

Whether you want to get a tutor or not is really up to you. I've never had one, so I'm not sure how much it helps. What I do know is that people can excel without a tutor. I know that my friends who don't get tutored do just as well as the people who do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't feel pressured into tutoring just because a lot of other people get it. If you actually want it, that's fine. But it's definitely possible to get a good result without it.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I dont do tutoring but I believe that:

self learning is better for maths.
tutoring might be better for english
self learning better for science

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the comments :)

I'm glad that there quite a few people out there who don't go tutor. I feel less pressured into getting a tutor now.

If my grades drop (quite dramatically) then i will hunt down for a good tutor ahaha.

RobertHannah89

HSC
Self-teaching is more ideal -- and free! -- but it's not always possible? IF you have a bad teacher, it can be difficult. Also, you often need a good grasp of the subject to begin with to attempt self teaching. Once you're at a certain point, it's possible to self teach (which is what I did -- I never had a tutor). Also, self-teaching can be very difficult! Also time-consuming. You'll hit a lot of walls (depending on what you're doing), and you'll often need someone to set you straight.

Romen

HSC
N/A
Self learning is good if a person so intelligent but those who are week in their subjects, i recommended online tutoring for those people.
Because
1) It saves time
2) Better Focus
3) Flexibility
4) Ease Of Access

kharde

HSC
N/A
Likewise, I'd say try not rely on a tutor.. but with Maths, if a student has fallen behind, sometimes it is the only way. I found the following blog that highlights what math tutor can do for students beautifully. Math tutors for junior high

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Id say tutor for senior sciences and maths (chemistry, physics, biology) because they require in coverage of certain skills. While self learning english, any histories because those subjects are more about focusing on perfecting essay writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)