sharemarket discussion thread (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
stazi said:
i don't know much about options trading :(
Basically, there is a lot less outlay.

With options, if the market goes the wrong way to what you bought into, you only lose the price you paid for the option (which is a lot less than the actual underlying share price).

When you have free time, check out the asx/sfe website. It has some really good info on the basics. With anything though, make sure you have a proper understanding of how it all works before you have a go.

velox said:
Or CFD trading or maybe warrants? Im short spi atm, let's see where it goes.....
Whoa man, I think CFD's and warrants are deep water for Staz atm. Share/option trading first?

What did you enter in at on the SPI's?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ahh cant remember, and too lazy to go through my account history. Trading recently has been pretty textbook - shame still exam time. Hopefully fed meeting will produce some massive swings.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sold WBC shares yesterday after I predicted a drop today, although I could never have predicted that the drop would be that massive, so very happy with my move (e.g. NAB down 12% at open, WBC down 4%).

Going to buy into AGS today (3980 shares). Going very long on them and buying at a target of 99c, although realistically I might just buy it now at $1.

edit: bought at 0.990 which sucks as I didn't cancel my buy order in time just before it fell to 97c. Oh well still a good price considering I'm going long

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
its NOT lol worthy, i own 1000 shares in QBE :(
it's pretty lol worthy. essentially, the price didn't change, it was a mere error. qbe actually gained decently today.

AGS went up 8%, although that's only 3% up on my buy price = $119 gain less $60 brokerage

hearts

HSC
Gday,

I'm assuming that you guys do online trading right? (as opposed to buying through a broker). What do you use? Commsec? Are there any other safe ones to use apart from Commsec?

Need to get a heads up before i start trading after HSC ;)

I read earlier that investing in shares is "calculated gambling", so do any of you out there do sports betting as well? :D ;)

blue_chameleon

HSC
hearts said:
Gday,

I'm assuming that you guys do online trading right? (as opposed to buying through a broker). What do you use? Commsec? Are there any other safe ones to use apart from Commsec?

Need to get a heads up before i start trading after HSC ;)

I read earlier that investing in shares is "calculated gambling", so do any of you out there do sports betting as well? :D ;)
Try etrade. I have a work account through these guys and have no problems.

Calculated gambling? If you're speculating, yeah of course. Then again, the fund managers would love you to believe they have their finger on the pulse. :)

It's not gambling if you look at the other reasons for investing into the market.

hearts

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Try etrade. I have a work account through these guys and have no problems.

Calculated gambling? If you're speculating, yeah of course. Then again, the fund managers would love you to believe they have their finger on the pulse. :)

It's not gambling if you look at the other reasons for investing into the market.
Without giving it away, how much would you have invested in your portfolio? 10k? 25k+?

blue_chameleon

HSC
hearts said:
Without giving it away, how much would you have invested in your portfolio? 10k? 25k+?
You're asking how much I have invested personally?

I can't tell you that, without giving it away. :/

If I were starting from scratch though, i'd go through an index managed fund and build it up through a savings plan. Most have $1,000 min initial investment and $25/month.

Last edited:

hearts

HSC
^ So what has your ROI been this year? I hope its been ok >< ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)