smokking banned in clubs / pubs (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
I don't consider john howard a murderer.......Saddam is a murderer
Direct/Indirect, same difference. Anyways, who cares anymores? Its obvious the war wasn't an issue in the election, NO ONE CARES, and the only reason smoking is being given publicity is because its killing US, not some foreign citizen who we don't know and we don't care about. Remember, look after number one, cause thats obviously what we all care about and since Saddam does NOT direct have anything to do with you stop trying ti take the moral high ground cause its hypocracy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes lengstar, and you care about other people heaps more than yourself.
I believe that even feelings of caring for other people are really just feelings of caring for yourself, YOU don't like it that people are being treated that way, it disturbs you, makes you feel bad, YOU want to remove that feeling.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Li0n said:
you dont understand how frustrating it is for a non smoker to walk outside in public then to walk past a smoker and either smell the fact that they stink like shit or smell the clod of smoke around them.
yes or when they talk to you, ugh, and you just nod because you don't want to start a conversation so you can run off.
lengstar said:
hahaha i know. you move up wind from them and the wind changes direction. the cloud just seems to wan to follow you around. you hold your breath to walk past and you can't hold it in long enough because the entire side of the building is full of smokers lined up. also at train stations. its almost inescapable.
lol yes i find myself taking different routes, unconsciencely holding my breath
lengstar said:
haha thats funny cause i'm considering taking up smoking
lol after the above quote, and what's there to consider, if you want to do it you just do it you don't consider it
Sophie777 said:
These people should be the ones with awful cancers! The world is an unfair place full of discrimination. Who cares if its discrimination to smokers! Do you think you would say this if you dying from passive smoke?
it's sad actually, some people choose to do something like smoke that harms them, and they won't get a cancer. some people don't do anything and they get cancer.
QUOTE=Tommy_Lamp]hopefully this will lead to the eventual banning of smoking (doubtful considering the $$$ it brings in, but im hopeful nevertheless)[/QUOTE]
very doubtful and they can't exactly make it illegal

bars with licences isn't a bad idea for the smokers, for the non smokers it's better not to have them

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If they allowed bars for smoker... then wouldn't every pub just turn into a bar, with a licence for smokers? or would they make places dedicated only for smoking?
Like a pub without alcohol etc.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
If they allowed bars for smoker... then wouldn't every pub just turn into a bar, with a licence for smokers? or would they make places dedicated only for smoking?
Like a pub without alcohol etc.
It woulod have to be like a Cigar Lounge OR a bar pub has two seperate areas...1 for smokers and 1 for non-smokers.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Tommy_Lamp said:
hopefully this will lead to the eventual banning of smoking (doubtful considering the $$$ it brings in, but im hopeful nevertheless)
Yep, prohibition is a great idea. Dick head.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
although the government makes money from the tax from smoking.. they also lose money when they have to pay for lung cancer treatments...
I've heard smokers come out and say 'but they get so much tax from us! what's their problem?', the truth is i don't think the tax even begins to pay off their medical bills.
You don't "think". The reality is they make far more from taxes then it costs to the medical institutions.
In fact considering the governments move to private hospital it is costing them less and less.

A pack of ciggerettes minus tax will cost no more than 2 dollars. They currently cost 10. That is a massive profit margin considering people usually smoke 1/2 - 2 packs a day. Also consider that it is a rubber-band product (i think that is the correct economical term) meaning no matter how much it costs people will still buy it.

Now on to the point, don't bitch about walking past someone at a outdoor cafe because they are smoking, because if it is me I WILL king-pin you for your ignorance.

Make your own bars and pubs, we will have our own too. It is as simple as that, us smokers can group together and recycle smoke and save on ciggerette prices, while everyone can enjoy their "fresh" air and laugh about how much you tax our aflictions despite there being no cost to the public health system now that all hospitals have been privatised.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i think it's rude to walk past someone and purposely cough or say something loud, if they want to do it they can.

you're saying cigarette companies get $2 per pack, and the government gets $8?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
yeah i think it's rude to walk past someone and purposely cough or say something loud, if they want to do it they can.

you're saying cigarette companies get $2 per pack, and the government gets $8?
Yes.

As i said, elastic-band products. Same with other highly addictive substances (and many non-addictive).

lengstar

HSC
well i guess this gives the green light to charge ciggarettes at $100 a box. i'm all for it to piss off bone, not the considerate smokers.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea seriously, why not tax them heaps?
And do you believe the government is only out to make money? they could make cocaine legal and tax it at 1000% of the profit but they don't...

So you're willing to tell me.. that dispite the millions they spend on the 'quit' campaign each year...dispite the hundreds of millions they spend each year keeping people alive from smoking related diseases... that they WANT people to keep smoking? lol

lengstar

HSC
i was being facetious in response to bone's lack of consideration. i don't really care if you smoke, but at least be considerate of others.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea seriously, why not tax them heaps?
And do you believe the government is only out to make money? they could make cocaine legal and tax it at 1000% of the profit but they don't...

So you're willing to tell me.. that dispite the millions they spend on the 'quit' campaign each year...dispite the hundreds of millions they spend each year keeping people alive from smoking related diseases... that they WANT people to keep smoking? lol
In a sense yes, in fact there have even been calls for cocaine legalisation and massive taxation. Such things would not pass well with the community and no party would survive such moves, so it is never undertaken, much like the flac the greens copped for proposing the legalisation of marijuana.

Ciggerettes are already socialy accepted though, so can be used as a "cash-cow" without any detrimental effects to popularity. In fact calls for the banning of ciggerettes would be impotent, much like with alcohol.

Also if you haven't noticed they already DO tax them heaps, extorsionist rates realy, nothing is taxed as heavily as cigerettes. 1000% would be $20 a packet, which isn't at all too far anyway.

While i am not accusing the government of harming the population and trying to profiteering, i AM saying they are profiteering of self inflicted harm (which i wouldn't mind too much if there wasn't such a huge shift towards private hospitals).

As for lengstar, i think i am being considerate enough by saying i dont mind segregation of clubs/pubs, and i don't see anything hugely incosiderate in punching out someone who complains about my smoke in open air after they come along and sit next to me in my smoking designated seat at a cafe after they walk out of their Ford F-250 with a massive bull-bar (pedestrian plough).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've been to the 'non smokers' section of pubs... they're filled with smoke, smoke isn't something you can corner into a section..

You are not courteous to people who choose to drive cars with big bull bars because they're a 'pedestrian plough'. Although i doubt i higher percentage of these cars kill people than your everyday civic hatch. You want to be angry at them for having a bull bar which does nothing? Yet you expect people to be courteous to you with your smoking? You expect us to feel sorry for YOU because YOU have to go to a private hospital because after all your years of pissing other people off with your cigarettes maybe giving them cancer, you get cancer?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Bone577 said:
Yes.

As i said, elastic-band products. Same with other highly addictive substances (and many non-addictive).
holy shit, i knew they were taxed highly but not *that* highly.

i know a place to get a 20 pack of malboro lights for abt $6 cuz they're imported, do they still get tax on that?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I've been to the 'non smokers' section of pubs... they're filled with smoke, smoke isn't something you can corner into a section..

You are not courteous to people who choose to drive cars with big bull bars because they're a 'pedestrian plough'. Although i doubt i higher percentage of these cars kill people than your everyday civic hatch. You want to be angry at them for having a bull bar which does nothing? Yet you expect people to be courteous to you with your smoking? You expect us to feel sorry for YOU because YOU have to go to a private hospital because after all your years of pissing other people off with your cigarettes maybe giving them cancer, you get cancer?

Im talking getting smoking and non smoking pubs/clubs. And have been all this thread.

The point was the F-250 is a giant of a car that pollutes massively and a person in one would cause more damage to peoples health (not to mention environment) due to the smoke it makes.
And of course it kills alot more than a regular civic hatch. Big cars are not able to sweep pedestrians over the hood, a car like a F-250 would not even need a bull bar to be completely dangerous, the bottom of the solid bumber is about in line with a childs head, the top with an adults shoulders. The bull bar just makes it even worse, stopping any chance at all of the pedestrian going over the car.

Big cars are a much larger menace than non club/pub worker related passive smoke illnesses. This is only counting in direct deaths as well.

Ooh i almost forgot to mention the dangers involved with a big car can have on a side impact with another car, the grills of such cars allign quite nicely with the heads on people in normal cars.

I will again mention there is no correlation between smoking related illness and non-pub/club passive smoking. I accept the one about living with someone can cause such illness, but im not asking anyone to live with me, nor do i think it has any relevance to what i am complaining about ie. hypocrits who bother me when they walk by, while in the open.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Do you think it's write for a person to complain if you're smoking at a footy game? in the open? if there's no more room in the 'non-smoking' area?

waterfowl

HSC
I think that unless you are in the country where the air is as close to fresh as posible, it is stupid to complain about someone who randomly blows smoke on you or around you when there is so much polution around. You can always move from the smoke, but you can't move from the pollution.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Do you think it's write for a person to complain if you're smoking at a footy game? in the open? if there's no more room in the 'non-smoking' area?

I have never been to a game of football, so im unaware of how it works. But it seems like quite a grey area, i would have to say it wouldn't be right because if it is as crowded as i imagine you would quite likely get side-smoke streams going into people eyes which is quite bothering but you need to be quite close for it to happen. If it is during a windy day, i don't see the harm at all but if there is a smoking zone then it is realy just tough luck if they miss out on it.

But to answer your question directly, sure it is right for someone to complain, they don't realy have a choice of moving as such, in such close proximity it can be a bother, and with a no smoking zone then they should go there to smoke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)