smokking banned in clubs / pubs (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
Bone577 said:
In a sense yes, in fact there have even been calls for cocaine legalisation and massive taxation. Such things would not pass well with the community and no party would survive such moves, so it is never undertaken, much like the flac the greens copped for proposing the legalisation of marijuana.

Ciggerettes are already socialy accepted though, so can be used as a "cash-cow" without any detrimental effects to popularity. In fact calls for the banning of ciggerettes would be impotent, much like with alcohol.

Also if you haven't noticed they already DO tax them heaps, extorsionist rates realy, nothing is taxed as heavily as cigerettes. 1000% would be $20 a packet, which isn't at all too far anyway.

While i am not accusing the government of harming the population and trying to profiteering, i AM saying they are profiteering of self inflicted harm (which i wouldn't mind too much if there wasn't such a huge shift towards private hospitals).

As for lengstar, i think i am being considerate enough by saying i dont mind segregation of clubs/pubs, and i don't see anything hugely incosiderate in punching out someone who complains about my smoke in open air after they come along and sit next to me in my smoking designated seat at a cafe after they walk out of their Ford F-250 with a massive bull-bar (pedestrian plough).
oh thats okay then. the person, whoever it was, was asking for it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i wrote right as write....
too many essays in a week :(

Anyway u sound like the type of smoker i have little problem with.. i keep out of pubs because of the smoke & i don't mind people smoking outdoors as long as the smoke isn't comming at me so i think you're alright. Maybe you should tell other smokers off that are doing stupid shit? cuz they're really giving the decent people a bad name.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Actually i have never had anyone complain about my smoking, except my friend who comes out during my smokie breaks, sits next to me then complains about how im killing him, but i think he is just doing that to piss me off :)

lengstar

HSC
haha all the smokers are outside and i've gotten use it to. the people are nice...most of them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea because ur a fairly courteous bloke.. I find most people that aren't smokers are fairly kind towards smokers generally (unless they're a complete asshole) however there are sometimes situations where smokers are just ruining it for most everyone else... such as smokers at footy games, ur sitting at the train station waiting for a train.. a guy behind u sits down and starts smoking... that sorta thing

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
yea because ur a fairly courteous bloke.. I find most people that aren't smokers are fairly kind towards smokers generally (unless they're a complete asshole) however there are sometimes situations where smokers are just ruining it for most everyone else... such as smokers at footy games, ur sitting at the train station waiting for a train.. a guy behind u sits down and starts smoking... that sorta thing

Train station? I do it all the time, with most of the smokers you see at the very ends of the station, besides you can see the police coming a mile away from the ends, saves you copping a hefty fine.

HSC
Bone577 said:
Train station? I do it all the time, with most of the smokers you see at the very ends of the station, besides you can see the police coming a mile away from the ends, saves you copping a hefty fine.
I hear that another way to avoid a fine is not smoking under railway owned covered areas.

I can understand (well, I can't, but I'll pretend) people that need a smoke that badly that they can't wait for one, but it's a little irritating as a non-smoker attempting to catch trains and having to push through crowds of smokers who congregate around the train doors at stops (You've said you're not one of those, so don't take this as a personal criticism, you've just reminded me) :).

It's also a little troublesome when people insist on sitting around on the platform smoking. Whenever I move, there always seems to be a different smoker in the next area. Someone should do a research paper comparing the smokers to non-smokers ratio on train platforms in NSW :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea... seriously man u might think you're being harmless going up the end to smoke, but some poor bloke is sitting on the chair near u, copping all your smoke..

Bone577

HSC
N/A
I don't know what stations you guys go to but there is never anyone at the ends, there aren't even any seats, just usually a mass of smokers, especially at places like Strathfield and Parramatta.
It is funny watching people try to down a ciggerette in a minute before their train comes.

waterfowl

HSC
Not saying that you are complaining or anything...but if you hate the small amount of smokers here in Australia, you should visit Europe!

Bone577

HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
Not saying that you are complaining or anything...but if you hate the small amount of smokers here in Australia, you should visit Europe!

Man i would love to, my friend is Croation, he tells me of the crazy amounts of smoking that go on in Croatia.
And if he is any indication of how other Croats smoke then it should be quite nuts.

waterfowl

HSC
Bone577 said:
Man i would love to, my friend is Croation, he tells me of the crazy amounts of smoking that go on in Croatia.
And if he is any indication of how other Croats smoke then it should be quite nuts.
I've only been to Austria, but if the rest of Europe is like that it is crazy! You walk into the malls and there is like a haze of smoke. It's even worse in most pubs, you can hardly see!

Bone577

HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
I've only been to Austria, but if the rest of Europe is like that it is crazy! You walk into the malls and there is like a haze of smoke. It's even worse in most pubs, you can hardly see!

Cool, he told me about the Raves in Croatia. He said he smoked 6 packets (of 16's too) at a 24hour rave once... and that it is normal to do so.

I would usually call someone making such a claim a total lier, that much would make you realy sick from the nicotine, but after seeing him smoke while drunk i totaly believe it.

waterfowl

HSC
Yep they do smoke A LOT. Like I said earlier, I went from being completely disgusted by smoking, to a social smoker (but not Aussie cigarettes "yuck")

lord chumpley

HSC
well, we're about a billion steps ahead of a lot of other countries...i know germany still has cigarette advertising and vending machines on the street.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Bone577 said:
You don't "think". The reality is they make far more from taxes then it costs to the medical institutions.
In fact considering the governments move to private hospital it is costing them less and less.

A pack of ciggerettes minus tax will cost no more than 2 dollars. They currently cost 10. That is a massive profit margin considering people usually smoke 1/2 - 2 packs a day. Also consider that it is a rubber-band product (i think that is the correct economical term) meaning no matter how much it costs people will still buy it.

Now on to the point, don't bitch about walking past someone at a outdoor cafe because they are smoking, because if it is me I WILL king-pin you for your ignorance.

Make your own bars and pubs, we will have our own too. It is as simple as that, us smokers can group together and recycle smoke and save on ciggerette prices, while everyone can enjoy their "fresh" air and laugh about how much you tax our aflictions despite there being no cost to the public health system now that all hospitals have been privatised.
Its actually an elastic product, or elasticity. (The correct terminology)

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
iambored said:
yeah i think it's rude to walk past someone and purposely cough or say something loud, if they want to do it they can.

I think its rude to sit next to someone in a public facility and start puffing away in their face. Theres this whole mentality that they have the right to smoke wherever/whenever they want, but shouldnt everyone have the right to walk around without getting a lung full of smoke. fuck it pisses me off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)