So my teacher told me to stop giving ATAR Estimates... (1 Viewer)

shaon0

HSC
"because I might upset people".

I give estimates at state average or P25 for baselines, or if they are really positive, P75 - but really, if you get less than the state average or even P25... the only person you're upsetting is yourself.

If you set yourself up for P75 and fail, you disappoint yourself.

It appears as if my 'service' is found as a hindrance. Or of course I could make it completely seekrit... yeah?

Well, there goes the bet we had going in Year 12 on who was gonna get the highest ATAR... anyone else had any problems with ATAR estimates at school?
Hmmm...if they ask for it, it's okay in my opinion. But you should always know that estimates can be very misleading. Eg: One of my friends "calculated" my ATAR to be ~90, max 95. How wrong they were.

lychnobity

HSC
Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i think everyone needs to get over estimating what other people are gunna get and start thinking about studying and trying to work at their OWN PERSONAL BEST not what someone thinks they will get.
LOL. If you're going for the super effective technique that i used during the HSC, estimating ATARs helps a lot XD

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maybe you should spend more time studying for your subjects, and less time frothing over ATAR percentiles.
This.

Yeah, but I'm very much on the palpable winnings kind of side. I want to see my competition, and therefore compare myself to my own cohort - instead of the state. Perhaps a fatal mistake, however I always aim for 100% nowadays, so the elusive 99.95 might be a reality...
If you actually spent time studying for your subjects, rather than 'making bets' about who's going to get the highest ATAR, then perhaps you'll maybe actually -do- well in the exams. At the moment, you're all talk - and perhaps I should remind you that you're all 'shit' talk (not saying you're shit, I'm saying the stuff you say is so wrong, it's unbelievable). You're the guy that suggested that "If-you-do-12-units-your-ATAR-will-miraculously-increase". You mindlessly spout crap without realising the difference between correlation and causation.

Your 'service' is based on your naive (and very mistaken) beliefs about the ATAR, scaling and percentile systems, which you barely even understand yourself. So if you want to be the 'informed' guy at school by giving estimates and what not - actually 'understand' the system (not by quoting half-assed unsourced documents, and then mistakenly inferring judgements which are full of fallacies), and then perhaps give judgements.

Besides which - you seem like the arrogant guy at school who will put other people down just to get a psychological advantage over them. You're competitive (which is good, to a certain extent). Healthy competitiveness is good. I think you're on the brink of misdirected competitiveness.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
"because I might upset people".

I give estimates at state average or P25 for baselines, or if they are really positive, P75 - but really, if you get less than the state average or even P25... the only person you're upsetting is yourself.

If you set yourself up for P75 and fail, you disappoint yourself.

It appears as if my 'service' is found as a hindrance. Or of course I could make it completely seekrit... yeah?

Well, there goes the bet we had going in Year 12 on who was gonna get the highest ATAR... anyone else had any problems with ATAR estimates at school?
Don't even look at those UAC tables until you get your HSC results. Problem solved.

HSC
I haven't even thought of an estimate. Only what I want.

How does a person estimate???

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
In all honesty Shadowdude, using UAC tables and playing around with ATAR calculators does not make you the expert of estimates. You have no idea of the current and future academic capabilities of anyone on this site, nor do you have any record of how well they've been going in school so what the hell makes you think you can give anyone an "accurate" estimate?
Frankly, it's ridiculous and I agree with your teacher, your misleading and misguided estimates can easily upset people. What we should be doing on this site is encouraging everyone to believe that they are able to achieve as high as they want, not telling them that they can't go past a certain ATAR because of the school they go to/the subjects they do.
And don't for one second think that you know more about making estimates than teachers using the most highly advanced technology and numbers and who have been doing so for years, like those at my school.

jet

Banned
HSC
If you're providing people with exact estimates, you have to be stupid, because you will never be that accurate.
Besides the fact that it's 2 days into the proper HSC year, so any estimate you make now is not strengthened by trial results or the numerous other assessments you will do.

Stop getting ahead of yourself.

amplifiedparty

HSC
i dont wanna even think about what im gunna get.. thinking about that freaks me out.. lol
u gotta aim at an ATAR that you want/ the one that's needed for the course u wanna do, in this way u can work towards it and you might even be surprised with your results later in the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)