So my teacher told me to stop giving ATAR Estimates... (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, School. But yeah.

Although it says High on the bus passes which confuzzle me to an extent. But as long as it gets me home...

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Wow that is so fail. We always have 3-4 in modern history alone >.<.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ah, I'm sorry, P50 is NOT state average.

P50 just means you beat 50% of people, NOT that you got the average mark. Percentiles don't take in to account the actual marks you get. They take into account your RANK, so very rarely, if at all will you find that state average and P50 marks are equal.

Take 4 unit maths, for instance. There was a discrepancy of 1.8/50 = 3.6/100 between average HSC mark and P50. When looking at ATAR marks, it gets worse; a discrepancy of 5.3/50 = 10.6/100.

Think before you speak next time. Would save you the trouble...

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
If you set yourself up for P75 and fail, you disappoint yourself.
If you go to Shadowdude's school and set yourself up for anything above state average, you disappoint yourself.

We got one last year, two the year before - so you should probably get your information right.
Wow so many band 6s!

Besides, it's called - cohort variation - this year's is a good cohort, much better than last years and the like. That is why taking past results is bad due to the cohort variation.
So obviously your school has shown itself to be very inconsistent over the last two years. Why, then, would you even for a second believe that you're in any position to guesstimate how the cohort will go this year?

This is why anything lesser than 84 for me? Suicide.
Please get less than 84.

So your school only got 3 band 6's in all subjects across the board in the past two years?
Arcorn, yes, because it's a new school and we've only had two previous HSC cohorts.
Ha. You know, most of the kids on bos will get 3 band 6s EACH? And the entire two cohorts prior to yours managed 3 collectively? Might be saying something about the quality of the teachers.... incidentally the same teachers you will have this year! :jaw:

Kaatie

HSC
yeah i no im more aiming for something 70+
i only need over 60 to get into the design college i wanna go to but i still wanna try and get over it..
please tell me its not whitehouse.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
ah, i'm sorry, p50 is not state average.

P50 just means you beat 50% of people, not that you got the average mark. Percentiles don't take in to account the actual marks you get. They take into account your rank, so very rarely, if at all will you find that state average and p50 marks are equal.

Take 4 unit maths, for instance. There was a discrepancy of 1.8/50 = 3.6/100 between average hsc mark and p50. When looking at atar marks, it gets worse; a discrepancy of 5.3/50 = 10.6/100.

Think before you speak next time. Would save you the trouble...
+1

NewiJapper

HSC
A person going around in Yr12 last year was doing the same thing as you and giving estimates out because he believed his method similar to yours could estimate it properly.
Even though our Band 6 results DOUBLED (The year before last was quite slow tbh), many people were left disappointed with a result less than what he said they could achieve or get. Let's just say it didn't turn out so go for him with the angry "no-hopers".

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
A person going around in Yr12 last year was doing the same thing as you and giving estimates out because he believed his method similar to yours could estimate it properly.
Even though our Band 6 results DOUBLED (The year before last was quite slow tbh), many people were left disappointed with a result less than what he said they could achieve or get. Let's just say it didn't turn out so go for him with the angry "no-hopers".
I actually believe that this situation may apply to shadowdude's school.
Band 6s for the year double. This means, across his WHOLE cohort, 4 band 6s are achieved.
These Bands 6s are achieved in General Maths, CAFs and SOR, so don't count anyway.
Shadowdude's grade rise up, kill him and then kill themselves, all as a result of some terrible ATAR estimates.

Life. Goes. On.

johNNyboy772

HSC
LOL I can totally judge someone's ATAR in the first 0.5 seconds of meeting them :D hahaha

itszen

HSC
I dont think you should estimate ATARS because some people do find ATARS as a sensitive topic to be honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)