social life at unsw (1 Viewer)

DanielleM

HSC
seremify007 said:
Does anyone have any details on what the Commerce camp is like o_O

But I'm cool with fobs saying 'la' (it's the way we end sentences in malaysia too)- but what I hate is when fobs start speaking in their own language unnecessarily whilst in the company of those who don't understand.
how long does the camp go for? and is this a compulsary camp?

andrew_q

HSC
Hi guys,

From previous years, the Commerce camp is not compulsary - its completely voluntary. Lasts normally over a weekend, starting from friday ends on sunday.

Expect it to cost you back around a hundred or so dollars.

What I noticed from the camps was that the students of each year stuck to themselves, which would make sense as they would normally see each other in lectures and all... such as accounting etc. For example, all the first years stick to eachother, 2nd years with 2nd, and 3rd with 3rd (however, the third years are normally the ones that organise the camp it self).

All in all its not bad, but don't expect the camp to present you with instant friends! Try to engage with one another in a reasonable manner, and you'll get the most out of it. Again, the people you make friends with at camp you'll most likely see them all the time either at the QUAD food court, CLB area, in lectures and tutes. It's not a bad way to find your groove at uni.

Speaking of finding your groove - I encourage all of you guys to experience the social life at UNSW by attending O-Week!! :D *Plug plug* Also... if you join my campus tour I'll give you a free lollipop.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
andrew_q said:
Hi guys,

From previous years, the Commerce camp is not compulsary - its completely voluntary. Lasts normally over a weekend, starting from friday ends on sunday.

Expect it to cost you back around a hundred or so dollars.

What I noticed from the camps was that the students of each year stuck to themselves, which would make sense as they would normally see each other in lectures and all... such as accounting etc. For example, all the first years stick to eachother, 2nd years with 2nd, and 3rd with 3rd (however, the third years are normally the ones that organise the camp it self).

All in all its not bad, but don't expect the camp to present you with instant friends! Try to engage with one another in a reasonable manner, and you'll get the most out of it. Again, the people you make friends with at camp you'll most likely see them all the time either at the QUAD food court, CLB area, in lectures and tutes. It's not a bad way to find your groove at uni.

Speaking of finding your groove - I encourage all of you guys to experience the social life at UNSW by attending O-Week!! :D *Plug plug* Also... if you join my campus tour I'll give you a free lollipop.
How do i recognise and find you?:p

andrew_q

HSC
Airness said:
How do i recognise and find you?:p
hehe.. I'm a yellow shirt, I should be floating around somewhere... I'll be there for the whole week from like... 8am to late at night. So just try to spot sorta mixed looking asian male with a bright yellow shirt and that's me

All of us shirters will be giving out campus tours, but only I have the free lollipop offer!

RooRaa

HSC
N/A
Andrew how do you become a volunteer? i keep meaning to do it but never seem to get around to it :(

Alimoe_KG

HSC
andrew_q said:
hehe.. I'm a yellow shirt, I should be floating around somewhere... I'll be there for the whole week from like... 8am to late at night. So just try to spot sorta mixed looking asian male with a bright yellow shirt and that's me

All of us shirters will be giving out campus tours, but only I have the free lollipop offer!
But arent there like a few hundred yellow shirters? And sorta mixed looking asian male huh...=P I can tell getting that lollipop is going to be hard.

andrew_q

HSC
Read the Blitz, and you'll see an advert in there looking for yellow shirt applicants, normally around september-ish. You'll need to submit a written form, pass a group interview, and then they'll call ya if you make it.

As for the Shirts remark, there's only 140 or so Yellow Shirts, and I can definitely say that there are only a handful of 'asian males' doing it this year, from the people I've seen so far... They are mostly caucasians or 'white folk'... mind you I'm more of an oz asian anyways. I'm the good looking asian
(Hahh...! just kidding... =S)

doctordev

HSC
my goodness...the way i read this topic, it seems to me that there is an overwhelming majority of asians in UNSW. darned. one of the main reasons i was trying to avoid going to UWA was that it was too concentrated by Singaporeans. looks like there isn't much difference.

btw, i am a singaporean too. i am coming over to sydney to immerse myself in another culture but it seems i am going to be surrounded by the same faces...sigh.

Raginsheep

HSC
Haha....obviously someone forgot to do his research. Go to UWS and avoid all the asians.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The Roundhouse iz the place where you might get a good mix of Asianz and non Asianz. :)

elfm

HSC
LMF^^ said:
The Roundhouse iz the place where you might get a good mix of Asianz and non Asianz. :)
ya aussies near the bar/pool tables and asians near the arcades/pool tables ;)

doctordev

HSC
oh well...but i am doing medicine and UWS, if it offers medicine at all, is not recognised.

elfm

HSC
lol you'd probably have a very hard time trying to find a uni that offers medicine that isn't overly populated with asians :)

but on the other hand, out all of the people i know doing med at unsw, none of them are asians, so maybe my assumptions are wrong

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
doctordev said:
i am coming over to sydney to immerse myself in another culture but it seems i am going to be surrounded by the same faces...sigh.
Just because there are many asians around doesn't mean you have to be friendly with them, you can always talk to other people.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
hahah I'd daresay that it'd be quite hard to find Andrew, I mean 140 yellow shirt guys! Anyways, lol probably will bump into him.

Oh btw, for those who do want to avoid asians, Usyd is like totally England-ish/British, not alot of Asians. UNSW + UWS does conc abit of asians.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
HAHAHA when I went to open day in the castles that's exactly what I said-

"Don't you reckon this place looks like Hogwarts?"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Rekkusu said:
hahah I'd daresay that it'd be quite hard to find Andrew, I mean 140 yellow shirt guys! Anyways, lol probably will bump into him.

Oh btw, for those who do want to avoid asians, Usyd is like totally England-ish/British, not alot of Asians. UNSW + UWS does conc abit of asians.
LOL the irony is a lot of Asians from selective highs now want to go to USYD because they feel there are less Asians there.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
seremify007 said:
HAHAHA when I went to open day in the castles that's exactly what I said-

"Don't you reckon this place looks like Hogwarts?"
Apparently teaches like hog too. Inflexible and anachronistic. Least that's what i heard :p

Who cares how many asians are in unsw or usyd. You choose who the hell you want to hang out with. I just want some good friends. Couldn't care less about their nationality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)