STATE RANKING CHEM (3rd) AND BIO (12th) and MODERN NOTES (2 Viewers)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have received these notes from Kamal for free due to my financial circumstances and I find them to be top notch and I have seen one other set of state rank notes for comparison.

The first thing I noticed in Kamal's notes is that there are no spelling mistakes and some dot points such as the first hand investigations were NOT skipped unlike the other set. In addition, this set of notes adds some extra and useful information that I did not know - the notes say "SYSTEMATIC NAME: Phenylethene, Ethenyl benzene". I never knew about the first name but I decided to check with Wikipedia and found it was the preferred name - who knew? Other things that it includes is "crystal polystyrene and expanded polystyrene" - I have only found that they had specific names - my other set of notes only stated that there were two types of PS, one that was hard used for cases and one soft used as foam. I find that knowing the specific names are critical to showing the examiner your knowledge of the topic and Kamal's notes do this perfectly.

So, I kept going through the notes briefly and I found this: "5.1.4 Identify instruments and processes that can be used to detect radiation" - there were five ways to detect radiation on Kamal's notes and my comparison notes, there were much less with only one and barely any information on it. Kamal's notes even explain how they work!

For his radioisotopes, Kamal used Sodium-24 and Technetium-99m. His notes state: "Technetium-99m is used to detect blood clots, constrictions and other circulation disorders as well as detecting brain tumours and heart conditions" - this statement correctly and concisely summarises the purpose of Technetium-99m in Medicine. My comparison notes only say "Technetium-99m used in medical tracer diagnosis" - this is brief and does it truly explain what tracer diagnosis is and what the radioisotope is specifically used for. Kamal wins again.

Now, moving on to the Acidic Environment - "pH < 7 at 25C" - specifically stating at 25C follows the HSC syllabus since it highlights how the test for pH is based on lab conditions. This is good as it is being precise - kudos! Kamal continues the completion of first hand investigations - "1.2.1 Perform a first-hand investigation to prepare and test a natural indicator" is fully complete with the whole scientific method. There is Aim to Conclusion and even includes reliability and accuracy. Solid.

There is also many examples for those that love examples (like me). "EG: N2O4 (g) (1 mole) <--> 2NO2 (g) (2 moles)" and a much, much better explanation referencing to Gay Lussac's laws that is clear and easy to understand.

Moving on, I have finally found my first error but it's really isn't an issue "HCL" instead of what correctly is, "HCl". This is a minor error and anybody doing Chemistry should know that it is correctly "HCl" due to the obvious context it was used in (Acids). No harm done. Nothing compared to the errors in the other notes "Addiction Reaction" instead of "Addition Reaction".

The last thing that I noticed is that there are sample HSC questions/answers as well - and yes, they are very good answers.

Since I have not done the rest of the topics, I cannot comment but I can say that they look just as good as the first two sections. The option topic included is Industrial Chemistry but I will not be doing that topic - unfortunately.

In conclusion, Kamal's notes are probably the best it can get - I found everything to be perfect. I found 1 minor error where the correction is obvious and no harm would be done as said during the review. I highly recommend these notes as they are full of information yet concise. Again, I would like to thank Kamal for helping me by giving me his Chemistry notes.

Final Rating: 9.5/10

Last edited:

Kamal15

HSC
Wow! Thank you soo much for that review!

Just with that mistake, Hydrochloric acid can be written either way, in fact Wiki gives it as HCl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

If you find any other mistakes please let me know, I'll correct them for the subsequent students!

Kamal

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just with that mistake, Hydrochloric acid can be written either way, in fact Wiki gives it as HCl
I meant that "HCl" is correct way (AFAIK) and "HCL" is incorrect since it suggests that L is a molecule - this is in HSC atleast - if "HCL" is considered correct at uni level then that is beyond me. I'll report on any errors when I read through the notes in the near future.

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Recieved his notes/lesson plans yesterday.

1 word.
AWESOME!

May as well just throw away the other sets of state ranking notes I have, I find Kamal's notes to be much more thorough, but they do not contain an abundance of irrelevant information. It is always good to know more useful information for dot points with verbs such as 'identify' -- other notes just merely state the name or function of whatever the dot point is about, but he actually explains! Even though that may be beyond what is required for the syllabus, it always helps tie together various dot points.

It's also awesome how he has questions embedded in his notes and explanations.

Best chemistry notes I have purchased, period. I know these will help me get back up to speed :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Kamal, may I ask what you decided to do at university? Considering that you got 99.95 and high scores in all departments - it would be interesting to know which you chose.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
A free bump for Kamal. Keep up the good work.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Kamal was generous enough to me the gawdly notes today for free as I was struggling with chemistry :)

These notes are awesome!
WAY better than any other notes I have read including the chem notes by Ahmad.
They are clear, concise and straight to the point and in the HSC this is crucial! They also give you confidence in knowing that the notes have covered every aspect of the syllabus and you will know everything that will be in the test. Coming from a school that is ranked around 300th these notes have given me a boost in confidence for HSC chemistry and a shot at a band 6
Also included with the notes were the lesson plans. These allow a further insight not only into the notes but about the HSC exam and the very important verbs used by the BOS.
So if you are having trouble in understanding some concepts or just looking to get that extra mark in HSC chemistry, I strongly advise that you get Kamal's notes.

Kamal15

HSC
Recieved his notes/lesson plans yesterday.

1 word.
AWESOME!

May as well just throw away the other sets of state ranking notes I have, I find Kamal's notes to be much more thorough, but they do not contain an abundance of irrelevant information. It is always good to know more useful information for dot points with verbs such as 'identify' -- other notes just merely state the name or function of whatever the dot point is about, but he actually explains! Even though that may be beyond what is required for the syllabus, it always helps tie together various dot points.

It's also awesome how he has questions embedded in his notes and explanations.

Best chemistry notes I have purchased, period. I know these will help me get back up to speed :)
Thanks!

Kamal, may I ask what you decided to do at university? Considering that you got 99.95 and high scores in all departments - it would be interesting to know which you chose.
I currently do Medicine at UNSW

A free bump for Kamal. Keep up the good work.
Cheers mate!

Kamal was generous enough to me the gawdly notes today for free as I was struggling with chemistry :)

These notes are awesome!
WAY better than any other notes I have read including the chem notes by Ahmad.
They are clear, concise and straight to the point and in the HSC this is crucial! They also give you confidence in knowing that the notes have covered every aspect of the syllabus and you will know everything that will be in the test. Coming from a school that is ranked around 300th these notes have given me a boost in confidence for HSC chemistry and a shot at a band 6
Also included with the notes were the lesson plans. These allow a further insight not only into the notes but about the HSC exam and the very important verbs used by the BOS.
So if you are having trouble in understanding some concepts or just looking to get that extra mark in HSC chemistry, I strongly advise that you get Kamal's notes.
Thanks buddy!

Can you give notes for free. I'm broke. P.s what did you get for sc, just wondering?
Could you PM me an email? I send out free notes every now and then but I could still get them to you at a very reduced price!

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey alstah, you're from Toongabbie too!

The big mistake people make with Modern notes is try to address each individual point in the syllabus without any thought as to coalescing them. Each Modern syllabus document has on it a set of key concepts (about 7-8) right at the top. They are your essay questions, that is what will be asked in the test. If you have addressed the entire syllabus document below these but have no idea how to organise them under the key concepts then you won't get far. My notes are designed so that the syllabus is addressed under the key concepts, they are basically ready made essays to mould! I'll attach a sample of it to show. The sample related to the key concept in Weimar Republic about the German Army. Such notes can be easily be used to answer HSC questions. View attachment 24270 <-- notes

And I've also attached an essay from an HSC question addressing the same topic to show how they can be used in exams!

Wow. Just wanted to say sorry for not replying in a week, but fantastic notes! These would have been extremely useful for me during the HSC last year...Anyone studying Modern...I highly recommend you read through these notes and seriously consider purchasing them!

Excellent :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Kamal, just out of curiousity, what are the questions in each section of UMAT like?

I know that the last section is sort of like an IQ test where it does visuals patterns/sequences but section 1 and 2 - what's that about?

Kamal15

HSC
Kamal, just out of curiousity, what are the questions in each section of UMAT like?

I know that the last section is sort of like an IQ test where it does visuals patterns/sequences but section 1 and 2 - what's that about?
Yeh man check out the UMAT website or forums like medstudentsonline.com, they may have more info than me, I've been out of the game for a while now.

Kamal15

HSC
Wow. Just wanted to say sorry for not replying in a week, but fantastic notes! These would have been extremely useful for me during the HSC last year...Anyone studying Modern...I highly recommend you read through these notes and seriously consider purchasing them!

Excellent :)
Thank you!

migimore

HSC
Hey I just wanted to say thank you so much for the Modern History notes! They're brilliant - concise and "dripping with historical detail" as my modern teacher would put it! I highly recommend them. :)

Kamal15

HSC
Hey I just wanted to say thank you so much for the Modern History notes! They're brilliant - concise and "dripping with historical detail" as my modern teacher would put it! I highly recommend them. :)
Good to hear you liked them! "Dripping with historical detail" - love it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)