State Rankings (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Time will tell, lol

Although I'm sure I've read somewhere that on Dec 16th students receiving a Premier's Award are notified.

To get your premier's award, do you have to attend a special ceremony etc? Wouldn't there be heapsssss of people getting Premier's... so wouldn't that ceremony last for ages??
That Premier's award thing-o officially ended last year I think. I remember people talking that they got prize (some trophy, is it?) through mail.

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
That Premier's award thing-o officially ended last year I think. I remember people talking that they got prize (some trophy, is it?) through mail.
Ohhh so there's no ceremony or anything involved? So I guess the ceremony is only for those who got 1st in state for each subject?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
Really? I didnt know that

Do they still give you $1000 if you get it? Thats all I want lol.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Ohhh so there's no ceremony or anything involved? So I guess the ceremony is only for those who got 1st in state for each subject?

Yep.

Midifile: $1000??? What? Really? I don't think so. They apparently get something like a trophy or something of that sort.

And I don't think Nathan boy will be generous enough to give one grand to each student, totalling more than 600-700 grands. Look at how money-conscious he is - more evident from his effort to scrap the free travelling thing-o.

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
Really? I didnt know that

Do they still give you $1000 if you get it? Thats all I want lol.
WOW I never knew about the Cash either.. lol that would be awesome
So that means I need to get Band 6 in 10 of my units to get $1000 cash?????? lol awesome

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
My second cousin got it like 3 years ago, and she got $1000. Maybe that was for something else (although I dont know what)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yep.

Midifile: $1000??? What? Really? I don't think so. They apparently get something like a trophy or something of that sort.

And I don't think Nathan boy will be generous enough to give one grand to each student, totalling more than 600-700 grands. Look at how money-conscious he is - more evident from his effort to scrap the free travelling thing-o.
Haha you dont sound like a big Rees supporter

danz90

HSC
Just to clarify...

http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2007/10/23/New-look-Premiers-Awards

Oh, and Namu.. I just thought of this...do u remember when I was ranting in another thread that my school didn't award me the UNSW Scholarship, despite being dux? LOLL my principal called me the other day and told me they chose me.. I was so happy. By the rules of the scholarship, the school must choose the top academic achiever of the cohort, if they have at least 1 UNSW preference, regardless if its 1st or 9th.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:
Just to clarify...

http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2007/10/23/New-look-Premiers-Awards

Oh, and Namu.. I just thought of this...do u remember when I was ranting in another thread that my school didn't award me the UNSW Scholarship, despite being dux? LOLL my principal called me the other day and told me they chose me.. I was so happy. By the rules of the scholarship, the school must choose the top academic achiever of the cohort, if they have at least 1 UNSW preference, regardless if its 1st or 9th.
Congrats =]

So are you gonna go to UNSW, or still USYD?

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
Congrats =]

So are you gonna go to UNSW, or still USYD?

Most likely USYD, because of BPharm.
But then again, I really like UNSW and wouldn't mind doing a year of BSc (Advanced) or BSc(Pharmacology) there for a year and transferring to BPharm @USyd , If i don't make it into BPharm for 2009 admissions.

I also applied for USyd scholarship for school leavers... they're offering $6000 for 2009 admissions. So that would be awesomee if I pick up one there, at least entry scholarship.

How about you?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Just to clarify...

Your link just affirmed my post.

And congratulation!!!

By the way, can you tell me what you meant by the highlighted part? Do you need to come first to get the scholarship then?

I mean, I am coming first/second in my year with another really competitive guy. We are respecively topping most subjects.

If I actually came second in the year with UNSW course being my 1st preference, with that guy having no preference with UNSW, who would get that scholarship then?

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
Your link just affirmed my post.

And congratulation!!!

By the way, can you tell me what you meant by the highlighted part? Do you need to come first to get the scholarship then?

I mean, I am coming first/second in my year with another really competitive guy. We are respecively topping most subjects.

If I actually came second in the year with UNSW course being my 1st preference, with that guy having no preference with UNSW, who would get that scholarship then?

All it means is, the top academic achiever (overall 1st rank) is nominated by the school for the scholarship. I'm not sure how your school determines the top academic achiever, although if that guy your competing with ends up beating you (lets say), and you come 2nd, if he has at least 1 UNSW preference in his UAC preferences, then he will have to be nominated for the scholarship. However, if he has no UNSW preferences, then you would be the next up for nomination.

At my school, the guy that's coming 2nd, or close to 2nd, has most of his preferences at UNSW, and would've loved the UNSW scholarship.. although he didn't top our year (plus he's an arrogant asshole LOL) and the principal (who favours this student) couldn't actually nominate that guy for the scholarship.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:

Most likely USYD, because of BPharm.
But then again, I really like UNSW and wouldn't mind doing a year of BSc (Advanced) or BSc(Pharmacology) there for a year and transferrinf to BPharm @USyd , If i don't make it into BPharm for 2009 admissions.

I also applied for USyd scholarship for school leavers... they're offering $6000 for 2009 admissions. So that would be awesomee if I pick up on there, at least entry scholarship.

How about you?
UNSW hopefully, if not UTS (depending on my UAI)

As far as I know my school doesnt do the UNSW scholarship thing =[

Namu: I'm not sure if its the same scholarship, but my brothers school also did the $4000 UNSW scholarship, and the girl who got it was like 5th in the year, because none of the top 4 wanted to go to UNSW. The terms were that UNSW had to be her first preference, and she had to get into that course (her first preference) to get it.

Im not sure if there are 2 different types, or (more likely) they changed the terms of the scholarship because that was a few years ago.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:

All it means is, the top academic achiever (overall 1st rank) is nominated by the school for the scholarship. I'm not sure how your school determines the top academic achiever, although if that guy your competing with ends up beating you (lets say), and you come 2nd, if he has at least 1 UNSW preference in his UAC preferences, then he will have to be nominated for the scholarship. However, if he has no UNSW preferences, then you would be the next up for nomination.

At my school, the guy that's coming 2nd, or close to 2nd, has most of his preferences at UNSW, and would've loved the UNSW scholarship.. although he didn't top our year (plus he's an arrogant asshole LOL) and the principal (who favours this student) couldn't actually nominate that guy for the scholarship.
Thank you very much.

Is your scholarship just entry scholarship or do you get certain amount every year?

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
UNSW hopefully, if not UTS (depending on my UAI)

As far as I know my school doesnt do the UNSW scholarship thing =[

Namu: I'm not sure if its the same scholarship, but my brothers school also did the $4000 UNSW scholarship, and the girl who got it was like 5th in the year, because none of the top 4 wanted to go to UNSW. The terms were that UNSW had to be her first preference, and she had to get into that course (her first preference) to get it.

Im not sure if there are 2 different types, or (more likely) they changed the terms of the scholarship because that was a few years ago.
Every school in the state is offered one nomination for the scholarship, from UNSW. lol that would be funny, the last school in the state with an academic achiever scoring UAI of like 50.
You should've asked around at your school.. I'm sure you would've gotten it ;)

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
Thank you very much.

Is your scholarship just entry scholarship or do you get certain amount every year?
No problem. ;)

Yeah, the UNSW one is just entry scholarship of $4000. And they guarantee you entry into the program desired, if your UAI is no more than 5 points below the cut-off for that course.
USyd ones are $6000 though, I would be over the moon to get one of those, could by myself a laptop and a new computer and study area to go in my room.

Although, I don't really have access to the scholarship unless I go to UNSW.

Debbo

HSC
So... State Rankings are only based on your HSC mark?

And then if there's an equal mark, they break it down into internal assessments to differentiate the candidates?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Debbo said:
So... State Rankings are only based on your HSC mark?

And then if there's an equal mark, they break it down into internal assessments to differentiate the candidates?
Yep pretty much

dp624

HSC
What kind of marks would be needed for stateranks in ch, ph, and the maths?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
No problem. ;)

Yeah, the UNSW one is just entry scholarship of $4000. And they guarantee you entry into the program desired, if your UAI is no more than 5 points below the cut-off for that course.
USyd ones are $6000 though, I would be over the moon to get one of those, could by myself a laptop and a new computer and study area to go in my room.

Although, I don't really have access to the scholarship unless I go to UNSW.
So you just get 40 grands, and you don't get any from then?

That's still pretty good though.

Debbo: Yep HSC result always comes first.

So if I got 100 in physics HSC result and am going to get 50 for internal mark, I still get a state-rank over the one who got 99 in physics in HSC and 99 in terms of internal mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)