State Rankings (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
What kind of marks would be needed for stateranks in ch, ph, and the maths?
3 unit = probably 82+ but 83/84 to be safe
4 unit = probably 113-115+?
2 unit = probably 117+ but 118/119 to be safe

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
So if I got 100 in physics HSC result and am going to get 50 for internal mark, I still get a state-rank over the one who got 99 in physics in HSC and 99 in terms of internal mark.
WHat the... are you srs?
Your report is 75.. the other guys' is 99...
cmon he smashed you huh?
I thought it was overall mark

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
So you just get 40 grands, and you don't get any from then?

That's still pretty good though.
Well yeah, it's a one off payment of $4000.
However, the USyd one I applied for, there is a possibility of getting a merit scholarship, which is $6000 every year for duration of degree.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
WHat the... are you srs?
Your report is 75.. the other guys' is 99...
cmon he smashed you huh?
I thought it was overall mark
I am serious. It may seem unfair but it's quite fair in a way that, that guy actually beat you in HSC where you guys both did the same paper. For your internal mark, it is basically determined by your individual school's result which doesn't put you both on a same scale.

dp624

HSC
Yeah but i thought moderation thingy came into it? Isn't rather annoying that I keep coming first through the year (as an example - because i'm actually not) then slightly stuff my external, while the dreg in my school pwns the external and comes first in state, while i'm labouring down there?
how unfair-thing imo

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Yeah but i thought moderation thingy came into it? Isn't rather annoying that I keep coming first through the year (as an example - because i'm actually not) then slightly stuff my external, while the dreg in my school pwns the external and comes first in state, while i'm labouring down there?
how unfair-thing imo
Yeah. But nothing is fair in HSC. It can only get fairer but it is never fair.

danz90

HSC
dp624 said:
how unfair-thing imo
Well moderation is a fair system, IMO. Say if you're first ranked, and you slightly bomb out in the exam.. this is buffered by you're first rank... you'll get the top exam mark in the cohort as ur moderated assessment mark.

the 'dreg' in ur school... im assuming is someone that doesn't perform that well... may pwn the exam, but then their moderated assessment will drag them down substantially, thus minimising their chances of attaining a state ranking.

dp624

HSC
Wait, i'm hearing conflicting stuff from danz and namu...
according to danz i'll be ranked ahead in state ranks but according to namu i'll be behind?
*crazy*

Shedow

HSC
Namu's got it right :)

State rankings are primarily based on external performance.

runnable

HSC
I'm going for one in Economics. Doubt I can get it... Pity I think I didn't do as well as I could.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Wait, i'm hearing conflicting stuff from danz and namu...
according to danz i'll be ranked ahead in state ranks but according to namu i'll be behind?
*crazy*
Here is my explanation:

John got 100/100 in physics in terms of raw mark.

Jack got 99/100 in physics in terms of raw mark.

Whatever happens, John gets a higher state-rank than Jack.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
can you be ranked 2,3 etc and still get a state ranking, saw for example person X was coming 3rd in a subject and gets 100% for the external whilst Person Y (2nd internally) gets 94% and person z (2nd internally) gets 96% so person X and person Y get tied external, would it be possible for them both to get state rankings or do you need to be first cause they moderate with the internal mark gaps between individuals or something..

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
Here is my explanation:

John got 100/100 in physics in terms of raw mark.

Jack got 99/100 in physics in terms of raw mark.

Whatever happens, John gets a higher state-rank than Jack.
However, what if John is ranked quite poorly (lets say) in his cohort, and Jack was ranked 1st in his cohort, wouldn't John's moderated assessment mark drag his HSC mark down, and then Jack obtains a higher HSC mark overall?

I thought state-rankings are determined by overall HSC marks? Correct me if i'm wrong (probably am lol)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
runnable said:
I'm going for one in Economics. Doubt I can get it... Pity I think I didn't do as well as I could.
How did you think you went (like raw mark wise)?

danz90

HSC
runnable said:
I'm sure you will ;) You seem to be one of the most competent Economics candidates in this forum.

axlenatore said:
can you be ranked 2,3 etc and still get a state ranking, saw for example person X was coming 3rd in a subject and gets 100% for the external whilst Person Y (2nd internally) gets 94% and person z (2nd internally) gets 96% so person X and person Y get tied external, would it be possible for them both to get state rankings or do you need to be first cause they moderate with the internal mark gaps between individuals or something..
Yeah of course u can... if your cohort performs really well, then the group of marks attained will favour a higher moderated assessment mark.

runnable

HSC
midifile said:
How did you think you went (like raw mark wise)?
I think it really depends on my essays. If it went wellish... probably 96-98 raw? Would still probably lose 2 marks in essays. I might have lost marks in short ans etc. Overall I think I cant get it. Essays weren't top notch 20/20 and short ans probably may lose a mark here or there.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
However, what if John is ranked quite poorly (lets say) in his cohort, and Jack was ranked 1st in his cohort, wouldn't John's moderated assessment mark drag his HSC mark down, and then Jack obtains a higher HSC mark overall?

I thought state-rankings are determined by overall HSC marks? Correct me if i'm wrong (probably am lol)
No. That way, wouldn't it be unfair to some extent?

I mean, HSC is the ONLY EXAM where everyone gets tested on the same test.

Therefore, HSC rank is determined first by your HSC results. If both got the same HSC mark, THEN your internal mark will be viewed.

Therefore, even if you come bottom in your year, if you cans till top the HSC, you will get the first state-rank (assuming that there is no equal top mark)

But you are right in the way that Jack will indeed obtain a higher HSC mark overall.

danz90

HSC
runnable said:
I think it really depends on my essays. If it went wellish... probably 96-98 raw? Would still probably lose 2 marks in essays. I might have lost marks in short ans etc. Overall I think I cant get it. Essays weren't top notch 20/20 and short ans probably may lose a mark here or there.
Dude, raw mark of 96-98 is like 99 aligned. That would be a state ranking for sure.

runnable

HSC
danz90 said:
I'm sure you will ;) You seem to be one of the most competent Economics candidates in this forum.
Lol thx thats very nice. I hope I can get it but I would still be happy with a high HSC Mark for Eco. >96 HSC Mark would be alright. Ranking would just be a plus.

danz90

HSC
lyounamu said:
No. That way, wouldn't it be unfair to some extent?

I mean, HSC is the ONLY EXAM where everyone gets tested on the same test.

Therefore, HSC rank is determined first by your HSC results. If both got the same HSC mark, THEN your internal mark will be viewed.

Therefore, even if you come bottom in your year, if you cans till top the HSC, you will get the first state-rank (assuming that there is no equal top mark)

But you are right in the way that Jack will indeed obtain a higher HSC mark overall.
yeah but assesment marks are moderated to a state-level standard anyway?

im confused. lol.
so in the end.... does my hsc exam mark determine state ranking, or my hsc overall result?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)