Steve Irwin on South Park (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Ohh dear :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/irwin.southpark/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The cartoon series "South Park" has never been shy of courting controversy, but its latest episode has caused outrage by featuring the recently deceased Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin.
Swearing and random death and destruction are staples of the cartoon, which has been broadcast since 1997. Irwin, killed by a stingray's barb while snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef in September is the latest celebrity to be lampooned by the show.
The episode, aired in the U.S. earlier this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Halloween fancy dress party. Other guests include Princess Diana, Hitler and rapper Notorious B.I.G. Critics have been appalled by the Irwin character's depiction in a bloodstained shirt and with a stingray still attached to his chest. (I-Report: What do you think?)
John Beyer of UK TV watchdog Mediawatch said: "This is such bad taste and the makers of 'South Park' should review their decision to show it. Steve's family are still grieving.
"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive.''
"South Park" maker Comedy Central defended the episode. A spokesperson for the company said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."
The show holds the record for the most swear words spoken in one program, and regularly takes pot-shots at celebrities and makes fun of politics and religion.
Some tamer examples include George Clooney, mocked for his politically motivated Oscar acceptance speech, and lampooning Tom Cruise and John Travolta for their belief in Scientology. One episode with a depiction of a bleeding Virgin Mary so upset the Catholic Church that it was pulled from repeats of the series.

South Park is just poor, ridiculously tasteless comedy, but when are the critics going to learn that they can't beat this show?

Steve Mate

HSC
I think the thing is though it's probably only Australians that would care about it. It's an Amerian show and primarly aimed at American viewers. The spokes person was right "regular viewers won't be shocked".

It probably won't be shown in Aus until next year. I doubt it will ever be long enough for the family to be willing to see it but they aren't going to cut a show for 3 people.

ashimation

HSC
Who gives a shit.
Matt Stone and Trey Parker don't give a rats if they offend anyone and thats what makes it a good show.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Agreed. Matt and Trey over the years have established that in their writing over the years that either it's all ok or nothing is.

its deffinetely to early though, i agree the satire is funny but not used in that sort of context. i mean hell?
edit: well in retrospect, in the south park universe only mormons are allowed in heaven :p (i mean, i saw princess diana and ghandi at that hell party too)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Exactly. Steve Irwin was not a mormon, so he's in hell. Everyone's in hell, it's not exactly a bad thing on South Park. And I doubt Terry or Bindi watches it.

I don't even think they're doing it to offend anyone. It's just like a way of saying that they acknowledge his death. Steve Irwin has been on South Park before, and the 4 boys thought he was awesome (to the best of my recollection).

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Steve Mate said:
I think the thing is though it's probably only Australians that would care about it. It's an Amerian show and primarly aimed at American viewers.
He was more popular in the U.S than he was in Australia, and his death was met with a similar reaction by Americans.
If we get offended, I think they would too. It's the point of the episode.
I don't care, as far as I'm concerned he's fair game for satire and he wasn't a person that would be offended by being the subject of comedy after his death.

walrusbear

HSC
who fucking cares?

it was a pretty funny episode too

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lewdogs said:
its deffinetely to early though, i agree the satire is funny but not used in that sort of context. i mean hell?
The more people they offend without being pulled off the air, the happier they are. Deal with it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The interesting thing is in the actual episode (if you look it up on youtube), the whole thing was Satan going to Steve Irwin (not realising its steve) and saying that his 'costume was " too soon" and that he had to leave because people were getting offended by it.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
in a way they are honouring him. Getting shown on south park is kinda cool you know you raised some valid issues in your life if you get satired on it. I probably wont find it that funny, but i support their right to make that cartoon if they want.

Artemis.

HSC
I really have no idea why people are making a big deal about it. South Park is a great show. Many people find it hilarious, many find it extremely offensive. It's not the first time they've done something in supposed "bad taste", and it won't be the last.

HSC
Artemis. said:
I really have no idea why people are making a big deal about it. South Park is a great show. Many people find it hilarious, many find it extremely offensive. It's not the first time they've done something in supposed "bad taste", and it won't be the last.
^^^^^^^ ... that sounds cliche`d almost.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I had a good chuckle at it, the rest of the episode wasn't all that good so that made me appreciate it more. Everyone making a big deal of it should shove it.

Hahaha and they referenced it in the new episode as a sort of "reply" to everyone complaining about the initial Steve Irwin appearance.
A young boy is dying, and unless Stan's peewee hockey team wins the big game, the young boy will "Die faster than Steve Irwin in a tank full of sting rays"

I lol'd :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)