Studying @ UNSW – a guide from a student (2 Viewers)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeah the travelpasses will allow you to travel to UNSW unlimited times in one week.

the cards arent too bad but the quality isnt as good as a drivers licence. colours arent great, and its a bit blurrier, but its not sepia

gman03

HSC
daiana said:
oh yea, are the fotos taken are as crappy and sepia like as the drivers license? surely UNSW can give us azns (yes i know we all look the same..supposedly) perhaps 2 eyes instead of 2 slits on our iD? hehe
I recall that person took my photo at the most unexpected moment - right before I was ready. I don't even know where my eyes are looking at, let alone looking like double slits.

So a tip to people who are about to get your id photo taken - be ready before the "photographer" ask you to.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
if anyone has small trivial questions i'll be happy to answer them for you here when i have time :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
GemmaHavok said:
Catch the 400 from Bondi Junction Bus Station, stops right out front of the uni, convenient for those who are extremely lazy.
Or even if you get a bus that stops at Anzac Pde, and you have class at the top of campus, you can catch a 400 to the top of campus (again for the lazy)

saves.the.day

HSC
babydoll_ said:
if anyone has small trivial questions i'll be happy to answer them for you here when i have time :)
I have one. Whats "sepia"? I heard you mention it in a previous post.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
sepia is that brown and black and white photography they used to do in the olden days

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
a very important question

what do i show when i'm enrolling for the first time? i heard at uts they require ur higher school certificate, with the results, ur id, ur tfn... and another shitload of documents such as your uac acceptance letter...

unsw... isnt like that rite?! i know i need to bring a drivers license...thats it?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
UNSW enrolment is all online

You need to bring a form of ID and your student number to get your ID card which you need to keep with you at all times on campus

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Hi,
I have just enrolled online and have tried to add classes. Unfortunetely, all the avaliable classes are not listed.

Is this where Advisory Day becomes useful?

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
just wondering, if i've added all my classes and have my S1 and S2 timetables all printed out etc does that mean I've finished my online enrolment process?

live interstate, so won't be able to get my ID card soon :( will have to wait in long long lines:(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yes; you've finished.

:/ well, if you can't get it early I guess you'll have to endure the lines, which are horrific, but yeah, other than getting your id card, then it looks like you're done.

moogle180

hi, i've posted a thread on this but i may as well ask here. I was offered a BEconomics place and as the uai for Eco/Arts and Eco/Social science are the same i accepetd Eco/Social science and have applied for it but now i want to change and just go abck and accept BEconomics on its own. Is this still possible considering that i've accepted a BEconomics/Bsocial science degree??? I want to change before the closing date or January 27th!

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
hehehe.. u burn and die with ur eco/social science degree!

nah! congrats on getting it! =)

why dont u ring them up? oh wait its a saaturday
oh just ignore this silly msg of mine...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Miliux said:
Hi,
I have just enrolled online and have tried to add classes. Unfortunetely, all the avaliable classes are not listed.

Is this where Advisory Day becomes useful?
What are your classes? Are you selecting the right session for the class search?

moogle180

i'm goign in on monday to ask if i can change ti and also get my id card thanx to the warning about the big crowds during o week and thanks for congratulating me......i really didn't expect to get into unsw.

HSC
hahaha this just made me laugh. OFL
it's like saying ..whoever told you antarctica is in the middle of nowhere?? its only 4 hours from the south coast of australia (if you can hitch a ride with some over-ambitious snow explorer).

- I heard UNSW is in the middle of nowhere.
Whoever told you this is a filthy liar. The Kensington and COFA campuses are located just 15-20 minutes from Sydney CBD. ADFA is located in Canberra.
not giving my uni a bad name though
on a good day its 10-15 mins from central station :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Textbooks / Handbooks / Student Fees

Textbooks
You can search for what textbooks are needed for your subjects online at the UNSW Bookshop website
However be weary of jumping into the textbook and buying hundreds of dollars of prescribed/recommended texts. Lecturers will tell you what textbooks are really needed early in the course. So yes, hold off buying textbooks until you really know you need them - you don't start using them the first hour you show up in class.

Second hand texts
Yes there is a second hand bookshop, now located in the Blockhouse. Somewhat limited selection at times though. You'll have much better luck looking at "for sale" posters stuck up on notice boards at places like the Basser steps and outside Matthews.

Handbooks
If you need to dig up information on your program and the Virtual Handbook doesn't tell you enough detail you can try the Faculty Handbooks (this appears to be discontinued, and I can't find the faculty handbook PDFs as yet)

Student Fees
There are various fees that will be due on the Friday of Week 1. You will be able to see your fees and instructions on how pay them on myUNSW. For more details see here and your myUNSW profile.

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
for second hand books, u can also try

www.textbookexchange.com.au

med textbooks; buy these from medsoc bookshop. there's a pricelist available online
http://www.medsoc.org.au/pricelist.htm
you need to join up with the bookshop before u buy anything (that's about $11) but it's worth it.
the prices shown are actually the prices BEFORE discount, so they're actually cheaper than the amount shown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)