Studying @ UNSW – a guide from a student (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
nothing much will happen if you don't pay... until your exam results come out. if you haven't paid, you can't access them.

and if you don't pay in 2nd semester, you can't vote for guild elections ... i learnt this the hard way.

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i know i'm really late into this thread, but that was a great guide babydoll !! i've only just read it but it's still heaps helpful even though i've been at unsw for 3 weeks

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
No problems :)

If you have any more questions I haven't covered, feel free to post

Or if you're at uni, you can rock up to Contact. Think of Contact as "the O-Week outside of O-week". You can basically ask us anything - because "we know EVERYTHING!" :p

Contact is on the 2nd level of the East Wing of the Quad... or if you go down the Basser steps, you'll see a doorway on the left hand side. Contact is just there :)

m0nr

HSC
wow nice guide, any chance you could make a section on doing transfers? eg from Science to engineering :[

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
how many people are enrolled in digital media there?

do you know a guy called boram?

deano059

HSC
hey guys..is security big as in like on call for students etc

wot r the id cards used for..or theyre more like just randomly given

and wot do u mean by plan ur own timetable?

sunny

meh.
HSC
deano059 said:
hey guys..is security big as in like on call for students etc

wot r the id cards used for..or theyre more like just randomly given
ID cards are given to students. They take your photo, check you're an enrolled student, and you get issued a card. Sometimes these cards are useful in ways other than being a concession card: eg, in my school I get swipecard access to certain places in uni.

deano059 said:
and wot do u mean by plan ur own timetable?
Uni subjects are planned on a schedule and each have fixed times where they run, sometimes you can make a choice from a selection of timeslots to attend. When you have several subjects, it ends up being a lot of timeslots you can pick from so as to suit yourself and how you want your timetable to look like.

My timetable

deano059

HSC
sunny said:
ID cards are given to students. They take your photo, check you're an enrolled student, and you get issued a card. Sometimes these cards are useful in ways other than being a concession card: eg, in my school I get swipecard access to certain places in uni.

Uni subjects are planned on a schedule and each have fixed times where they run, sometimes you can make a choice from a selection of timeslots to attend. When you have several subjects, it ends up being a lot of timeslots you can pick from so as to suit yourself and how you want your timetable to look like.

My timetable
thanks alot for that!!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Unless of course you're in Architecture/Science Architecture in which case youo don't get any choice whatsoever.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
You may soon have to write about the Singapore international campus and then we will no longer be able to refute how far UNSW is*. Also mention that the best place for ID is unigym :D no lines, no worries. Except the staff are tech pygmies (no offence to pygmies).

*seeing as though the centroid will be in Queensland somewhere.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
mattchan said:
Does anyone live around Blacktown area that goes to UNSW? How long does it usually take to get to UNSW by public transport or by car?
Take a train then the 891, just over 1hour
or
Take the 611(M2 Westbus), then change to 610(to Railway square) then take the 891 looking at least 90mins

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
acckk!! First Singapore ~ now new New Coffs Harbour campus?! The uni is breeding like rabbits!

daz54

HSC
Paking

thanks Nancy that was realy helpful

i'm goin to be a student at UNSW soon. are you saying there is absolutly no student parking available ON CAMPUS???

if so is there a permit i need to apply for or somthing?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There is parking on the streets parallel to Anzac Parade - how close you're parked to uni depends on the time you get to uni. I drive everyday and park either next to uni on a good day, or 3rd street down from Anzac Parade on a bad day.

daz54

HSC
Is there any garenteed parking ON CAMPUS . do i need a permit or anything?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There is no guaranteed parking on campus, even if you have a permit.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
My god people are lazy. EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR YOU. I also park within 3 streets every day, and it hasn't hurt me yet. It's doing a good job of counteracting Roundhouse goodness.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I agree :) 3rd street is good - 2nd street is usually packed right to the end, and people think "urgh 3rd street too far, I'll park at the end of the 2nd street instead".

What they don't realise is that the start of the 3rd street (which is usually free right up till ~9:30am) ends up being much closer to uni than being parked at the end of the 2nd street.

Handy hint :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)