teaching.. (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Bump anyone have proper knowledge on this?
@jimmysmith560 probably pls
also how should I like find what I like doing is there any legit career surveys or resources I can use @jimmysmith560
Sorry for the delay, I unfortunately found out I have COVID-19 yesterday. What great timing! :(

It appears that teaching is becoming increasingly enticing. In terms of salary progression as a teacher, the relevant award states that the minimum you would need to work under a particular category is one year of full-time service, which constitutes 203 days. This means that, should you maintain favourable performance as a teacher, you may be able to progress to a higher category each year.

In terms of deciding on the field to pursue a career in, you may wish to attempt the following quiz:

I completed it, and it surprisingly returned accurate results. The first career recommendation was actually in HRM, which is my field.

Once you feel like you are interested in a particular career, I would recommend contacting people who work in that particular field for their thoughts and advice, which will hopefully allow you to make a more informed decision. You can contact people that you know and/or use LinkedIn to find and contact people who work in the field in question.

Merry Christmas everyone! :xmasbosman:

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Sorry for the delay, I unfortunately found out I have COVID-19 yesterday. What great timing! :(

It appears that teaching is becoming increasingly enticing. In terms of salary progression as a teacher, the relevant award states that the minimum you would need to work under a particular category is one year of full-time service, which constitutes 203 days. This means that, should you maintain favourable performance as a teacher, you may be able to progress to a higher category each year.

In terms of deciding on the field to pursue a career in, you may wish to attempt the following quiz:

I completed it, and it surprisingly returned accurate results. The first career recommendation was actually in HRM, which is my field.

Once you feel like you are interested in a particular career, I would recommend contacting people who work in that particular field for their thoughts and advice, which will hopefully allow you to make a more informed decision. You can contact people that you know and/or use LinkedIn to find and contact people who work in the field in question.

Merry Christmas everyone! :xmasbosman:
i did the test and it was accurate lmao wasnt expecting it to be like that

liamkk112

HSC
everyone says teachers aren't payed enough (which is sorta true)
but when you tell them how much they are actually paid, they are like 'what, oh thats decent'

idk how any of us are gonna be able to afford to live in Sydney tho, we need to be earning like 400k some reports say

a $2 million mortgage will require you to pay back $120,000 a year for 30 years

so you need to be earning at least twice that

double income households are almost a must now

its possible but tight, and we will have to make plenty of sacrifices and live in apartments
just leave sydney lol

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
everyone says teachers aren't payed enough (which is sorta true)
but when you tell them how much they are actually paid, they are like 'what, oh thats decent'

idk how any of us are gonna be able to afford to live in Sydney tho, we need to be earning like 400k some reports say

a $2 million mortgage will require you to pay back $120,000 a year for 30 years

so you need to be earning at least twice that

double income households are almost a must now

its possible but tight, and we will have to make plenty of sacrifices and live in apartments
what i dont think anyone's gonna need to be paid half a mill a year, idk where tf u live but no and also a 2mill mortgage is no as well

liamkk112

HSC
It’s not abt Atar u don’t just pick the highest Atar course u can get into

I thought teaching could be good which is why I posted this inquiry to find out more about the pay scale and if anyone knew how long it would take to move up to like deputy positions and stuff which aren’t low pay

this document exists but its quite confusing

heres another document, a bit clearer.

from what i can see, its essentially just the same requirements as being a teacher, though obviously it would be expected u have some experience and all that due to competitive applications probably existing. only info i could find is on head teachers, once u become a head teacher, it appears that once u garner enough experience, u can apply to become a school principal (https://www.seek.com.au/career-advice/role/school-principal).

liamkk112

HSC
what i dont think anyone's gonna need to be paid half a mill a year, idk where tf u live but no and also a 2mill mortgage is no as well
sydney has already become quite a gentrified city, wayyy more than any other city in australia. disadvantaged people have slowly been pushed further and further out of the cbd, take redfern as an example, once a fairly disadvantaged neighbourhood and is now a rather rich inner city suburb (1.7 million median for a house, 1 million for a unit lol). this has lead to a lot of urban sprawl where houses have become affordable, which sadly pushes disadvantaged people even further from opportunities, infrastructure etc, and means that now suburbs that people would look down upon have been basically completly gentrified, i mean name one neighbourhood with houses below 1million in a 20km radius from cbd, pretty much non existant. on top of that a fair amount of the housing commission neighbourhoods in sydney are slowly being demolished, i personally live in campbelltown area and can see suburbs like claymore and airds, which were once basically 99% social housing, all being knocked down and turned into estates. im not sure where these people are being relocated to, but certainly even the most disadvantaged / poor suburbs in sydney are being gentrified. i read an article a few months back that now people who are not working professional jobs are basically being forced out, the salary is just not enough for some jobs unless if u want to settle for a super small and dingy place which understandably people dont want, people are just fed up because u could live in melbourne or brisbane or whatever for almost identical salary and be way more comfortable, despite the cost of living also rising in these areas.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
i thought that was a low amount
if you want a decent 3-4 bedroom house in sydney, in a decent area, $2 million is minimum
im assuming u live close to the city? us western kids could disagree on this mortgage i guess

i dont even live far from the city (less than an hr), and u could find houses here for 1 mill even less if u move a bit further

Anaya R

HSC
is anyone aware of the new teacher salary increase for public schools
View attachment 41944
View attachment 41945

im lowk interesting in this cus the pay looks good on the higher end but idk how long it would take to get to that point in someone career and stuff and if theres any way to speedrun to principal or something. even head teacher pay is rdecent like surely i instantly get head teacher cus most teachers in a faculty cant even teach right anyone have any advice or opinions instead
(I'm currently studying education)
As far as I know it depends on a couple of factors:
1. What kind of school you're in - if there's high staff drop-off rates and you are good at your job then you're more likely to be promoted to head teacher
2. I think most schools prefer staff with quite a few years experience, particularly if it is a higher-ranked school. AFAIK most principals are more management based than teaching based (since they run the school, which includes admin-based stuff) so you may want to take that into consideration too.
3. One thing to keep in mind is that while salaries are going up, unless you manage to score a permanent position when you graduate, you may spend some years in temporary/casual employment. (This has something I have been told from anecdotal evidence, but it may have something to do with the higher teacher drop off rates, particularly in public schools (unfortunately))
Lmk if you have any questions in terms of doing a B.Ed (since I'm at uni for that purpose) and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)