tear jerkers! (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by meggy_moo
ok....i spent an hour last night crying over beth dying in little women and got all splotchy and stuff! anyone else have a book they just sob over?
LOL, I was just about to say that when I saw the thread title.

That was the first time I cried over a book, when I read that. But it was SO sad. I don't know how Louisa May Alcott did it.

meggy_moo

PMS PRINCESS
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
LOL, I was just about to say that when I saw the thread title.

That was the first time I cried over a book, when I read that. But it was SO sad. I don't know how Louisa May Alcott did it.
I KNOW! i get teary just thinking about it...i mean, its sooo sad cos she knows she's gonna die and she has to tell jo and then jo has to tell marmee and father :(

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I usually don't cry while reading, although certain scenes and books can leave me very close to it. i.e;

-Septimus' suicide in Mrs Dalloway. (Particularly with the extent of his trauma from the First World War.. The war had taught him. :()
-Benjy's account in The Sound and the Fury. (It's a first person account of a mentally challenged man, with numerous analypses reflecting his state-of-mind, and lack of awareness as to the present. Especially tragic when his ultimate fate is presented..)
-The conclusion of James Joyce's 'The Dead'. [From Dubliners.. Its beautifully written, and the emotion kills me. One by one, they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of same passion, than fade and wither dismally with age. [...] His soul had approached that region where dwell the vast hosts of the dead. He was conscious of, but could not apprehend, their wayward and flickering existence. His own identity was fading out into a grey impalpable world; the solid world itself which these dead had one time reared and lived in was dissolving and dwindling. Thats a poor representation of it in context, but best I can do in my attempt to convey it for those who haven't read Dubliners.)

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
ive cried maybe once or twice...
maybe im just a cold hearted bitch?

malayz_angel

Gone With The Wind's my favourite tearjerker...my best friend laughs at the end when Rhett goes away and I scold her for being heartless..

I also cried during To Kill A Mockingbird, when I realised Tom was dead and that despite the overwhelming evidence proving his innocence, justice was not going to be served for him.

The Color Purple is sad...I started to cry as I read about Celie's troubles....

Their Eyes Were Watching God: when Tea Cake dies and Janie loses the real love she's finally found and everyone else treats her like a fallen woman instead of sympathising.

Probably a bunch more...I love emotional books....*sigh*

kleptomaniac

HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
I know, you just want to throttle the non responding person!
It just makes everything ten times as worse, because the unrequited lover (?) is usually such a nice person, and nine times out of ten, I end up falling in love with them, which just makes it a helluva lot worse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)